Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

59 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Just spit-balling here but it could be that there has been a slight disconnect between Rodgers and the scouting department in some instances. Praet and Soumare are possibly not the type of player Rodgers wished or asked for. Maybe it's part of the reason Congerton left.

Yeah I think I agree to some degree. It’s very rare for a manager to drop a player they were keen to sign, even if they are playing badly. They usually still try and give them regular minutes to try and get them up to speed or to improve. And I think we saw that with perez. But players like praet, Soumare, under, vestergaard etc were (are) never part of the 11 or squad. Personally think that makes it seem like he was never than keen in the first place. But it’s only guesswork. 

56 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

David Neres could be a good option, we tried to sign him in the Summer but he ended up at Shaktar for about 12m, with the situation there he could be available for a small profit to Shaktar, even if he cost us 18m it would be a good signing imo. 

There is a reason he went to a club like Shakhtar... He couldn't cut it at Ajax anymore with Antony, Berghuis, Brobbey and even Daramy being preferred over him

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

David Neres could be a good option, we tried to sign him in the Summer but he ended up at Shaktar for about 12m, with the situation there he could be available for a small profit to Shaktar, even if he cost us 18m it would be a good signing imo. 

....totally agree, would love to have him here!!!

He has dropped off from his previous high standard and we might just be the right place for him to land. Back in 2019 Transfer Market had his price at £40m now it has dropped to £18m. He is 25 years old and feels like he has been around for ever, he was at one time worth the entrance fee on his own, this could be a second chance he might not get again.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sankey93 said:

Looks like a very tidy player. Likes to dribble and get stuck in. It might take a season to get use to the league but he likes to use his body so might not take that long. Definitely looks like we aren't looking to replace Tielemans but to get more well  rounded player as there's nothing he really excels at but nothing he is bad at as well 

• Like 1

....I  suspect he is supposed to be a  DM, he looks awkward, tackling and carrying the ball forward!!!

If we want to improve on what we have, we need to get Mendy transitioning the play more often. We really only see half of what he can do when he plays and there is no reason he cannot be a player to take us up the pitch, to stretch and help to create space for other team mates. 

4 hours ago, Sankey93 said:

That Thuram looks decent. Decently timed tackles and that cliche of having good feet for a big man. At 6'4" he'd certainly add presence to the midfield. I don't know much about him but could he be a Vieira-type player?

If we are interested, it's a sensible strategy to target attainable players who are doing well in Ligue 1 for clubs excelling in that league but who aren't PSG. It may not have paid off so far with Soumare but the potential is there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I don’t think so. He’s gone backwards for a few years now. Not the type of player we should be targeting.

22 hours ago, LFox99 said:

There is a reason he went to a club like Shakhtar... He couldn't cut it at Ajax anymore with Antony, Berghuis, Brobbey and even Daramy being preferred over him

Right but all of those players would get into our squad over Perez or Albrighton. For 15-20m he is a big upgrade on Perez. We tried to sign him, he could have come to us. 

I’d give him a shot as he’s a cheap Gamble, plenty of LCFC players over the past few years were not at the heights they had previously and massively improved at our setup. 

Lookman will likely be who we sign permanently though. Lookman has been good for us but hes nowhere near the standard Neres can play at. 

Edited by cityfanlee23

6 hours ago, Phenom said:

I don’t think so. He’s gone backwards for a few years now. Not the type of player we should be targeting.

Yeah no denying his form has dropped off last couple of seasons, but you could say that about so many Leicester players over the last few years. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot

We need to sell before we buy and conceivably there could be lots on the way out.

Perez(5m), Soyuncu (20m), Tielemans (25m), Praet (12m),  Soumare (10m), Castagne (25m) iheanacho (25m, vestergaard and Bertrand (free).

Thats 9 players over 100m (think I've been pretty Conservative mostly here) and probably about 600k a week in wages. Its going to be a big rebuild.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

11 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

We need to sell before we buy and conceivably there could be lots on the way out.

Perez(5m), Soyuncu (20m), Tielemans (25m), Praet (12m),  Soumare (10m), Castagne (25m) iheanacho (25m, vestergaard and Bertrand (free).

Thats 9 players over 100m (think I've been pretty Conservative mostly here) and probably about 600k a week in wages. Its going to be a big rebuild.

Why sell Soumare 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Attywolf said:

Why sell Soumare 

I agree but apparently he's not settled and Rodgers isn't a fan.

20 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

So no transfer budget unless we sell first?

Guest Chocolate Teapot
6 minutes ago, turlo said:

So no transfer budget unless we sell first?

Apparently not from what percy and tanner are saying.

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I agree but apparently he's not settled and Rodgers isn't a fan.

Probably makes sense from what we've seen, I find it bizarre though that we have from what I am aware a very in depth scouting process to make sure they fit as a footballer and as a person as well, you'd like to think Rodgers would be 100% behind the signing and be aware of his persona and accept he might take time to settle in and want to get this best from him as opposed to spending what we did to then cut our losses a year later because he's not a fan anymore. 

Shame because I want Soumare to come good, but if what you are saying is accurate we should probably move him on unfortunately.  

I'm sure he'll go on and have a good career just doesn't like it will be in the prem. 

Reality is going to smack a lot of our fanbase hard in the face this summer if that's the case. I think we'll struggle to move a lot of those players on for decent fee's in the same window - some might go out on loan with options to buy rather than getting an upfront fee. 

I think we very much have to play the market though, if we show our hand that we have to sell before we can buy then we are in for one hell of a torturous window and we cannot reasonably expect to get the targets we want, we'll have to have a number of contingency plans on targets. That concerns me.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jabfox said:

Probably makes sense from what we've seen, I find it bizarre though that we have from what I am aware a very in depth scouting process to make sure they fit as a footballer and as a person as well, you'd like to think Rodgers would be 100% behind the signing and be aware of his persona and accept he might take time to settle in and want to get this best from him as opposed to spending what we did to then cut our losses a year later because he's not a fan anymore. 

Shame because I want Soumare to come good, but if what you are saying is accurate we should probably move him on unfortunately.  

I'm sure he'll go on and have a good career just doesn't like it will be in the prem. 

Soumare always came cross of more of a recruitment team led signing to me, rather than an a Rodgers signing, although surely Rodgers would have to approve the signing as well?. ie highly rated young prospect with high resale value if he came good. Rodgers has tried him in several different roles but doesn't seem to know how to fit him in and get the best out of him.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, turlo said:

Soumare always came cross of more of a recruitment team led signing to me, rather than an a Rodgers signing, although surely Rodgers would have to approve the signing as well?. ie highly rated young prospect with high resale value if he came good. Rodgers has tried him in several different roles but doesn't seem to know how to fit him in and get the best out of him.  

Yeah good point to be fair, Like you say it made sense at the time, a relatively well thought of youngster with resale value who could add a different dimension, just unfortunate it hasn't worked yet! 

Fingers crossed we see more of him next season or recoup some of what we paid.