Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

When you're a team that's just broken records for goals conceded from set pieces and are crying out for more height and authority in the team I'm not so sure Ake is the answer. 

Agree that is his Achilles heel but he does attack the ball with that old fashioned I want to win it and I will win it attitude v someone like Vestergaard who will wait for the ball to come to him, height doesn’t always mean good CB.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

The Times reporting Man C have told Ake and Zinchenko they are free to leave if a fair offer comes in. 
Ake 27 Left footed CB knows the league, fair footed & attacks the ball although he’s still a midget in CB terms 5ft 9in (1.8m, 1.9yards, 70.8in which ever takes ya fancy) but could he be a better option than a young unknown, some wanted Tarkowski surely he’s a better option than him?

I think now I’d personally like to see the young unknown / up and comer but Ake would be ready to go so also wouldn’t say 

Edited by Hamilton Fox

Guest Col city fan

Very left field this one but I think Teemu Pukki has still got goals in him? He’s a lovely finisher and may still do well in a better team? Too old perhaps.. just a thought 

15 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Very left field this one but I think Teemu Pukki has still got goals in him? He’s a lovely finisher and may still do well in a better team? Too old perhaps.. just a thought 

Been saying this for a while, think he'd be a decent signing for us

4 hours ago, Sly said:

Ake would be a terrible signing for us, unless we’re changing goalkeepers. 

I think I read somewhere that prior to joining Man City, he was rated as one of the lowest rank centre backs statistically in Europe for winning aerial duels. 

Good at progressing the ball, calm, quick, rarely injured, however we’d need someone else to compliment him. 

Is that actually true? I always thought he was really impressive in air, given his height. I’ve just checked fbref and he ranks in the top 87% for aerial duels won. He always seems to score quite a few goals from corners suggesting he should be decent.

He definitely wouldn’t be my first choice, but if he was available on the cheap he wouldn’t be a bad option. Would prefer us to go for young players with sell on value tho.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrSpaM said:

Been saying this for a while, think he'd be a decent signing for us

Pukki would be a decent signing for anybody.  A born goal-scorer, smart and a hard worker.  Probably won’t find any upper-half PL teams willing to hand him a starting place but way too good for the Championship.

12 hours ago, BKLFox said:

The Times reporting Man C have told Ake and Zinchenko they are free to leave if a fair offer comes in. 
Ake 27 Left footed CB knows the league, fair footed & attacks the ball although he’s still a midget in CB terms 5ft 9in (1.8m, 1.9yards, 70.8in which ever takes ya fancy) but could he be a better option than a young unknown, some wanted Tarkowski surely he’s a better option than him?

I think now I’d personally like to see the young unknown / up and comer but Ake would be ready to go so also wouldn’t say no

Yep would take ale he could do a job for us!

57 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Pukki is shit. 

I wouldn't go that far, he's a steady goal scorer and better than alot of other strikers in the prem. 

Don't think he improves us though, he's hit his ceiling and lower mid table club in the prem is about as good as he'll reach.

44 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

I wouldn't go that far, he's a steady goal scorer and better than alot of other strikers in the prem. 

Don't think he improves us though, he's hit his ceiling and lower mid table club in the prem is about as good as he'll reach.

He could carve out a role as an impact sub for an upper-tier side, no question.  Crafty and knows how to exploit tired legs late in matches.  As I said none of those sides would hand him a starting job but they'd have him gladly, and he'd start for many lower-division PL sides.

Bale left Real Madrid. Come on Rudders get it done, we have a golf course at the training ground for a reason.

Vardy 

Barnes                  Bale 

Madders 

Yes please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just looking at Ake again incorporating all seasons, he’s definitely improved from what I recall reading. 

This has him winning around 55% if his aerial duels. 

88ED7B45-787E-48D7-84D3-BCAFAEE0B569.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dusty said:

Is that actually true? I always thought he was really impressive in air, given his height. I’ve just checked fbref and he ranks in the top 87% for aerial duels won. He always seems to score quite a few goals from corners suggesting he should be decent.

He definitely wouldn’t be my first choice, but if he was available on the cheap he wouldn’t be a bad option. Would prefer us to go for young players with sell on value tho.

Top 87% is pretty rubbish, isn't it?

FWIW, I don't think he's a bad player, but we need a CB or two who can help us deal with set pieces better. Ake is not going to do that. He'll make the problem even worse, if anything. I think we should probably steer well clear.

Guest Col city fan
6 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Yeah tbf I was using hyperbole as juxtaposition to @Deeg67's post above because I think he was over-rating him a bit there, but to be fair, I don't think Pukki's great and wouldn't have him at Leicester. He's 32? I think as well. 

Top marks for use of the term ‘juxtaposition’ in a football related post 

👍

Did somebody mention zinchenko the other day. He just ran the show for Ukraine against Scotland. He has such quick feet and ability in that position, great vision and tenacity too. Must be a few good players at Man City keeping him from playing there. Oh wait… 

• Like 4

Villa are getting business done early which shows it’s possible..

I just see that we labour in the market, excuses of player holidays, nations league games, agents etc and we end up slow to sign any targets that we may have..

it’s obvious where we need strengthening and has been for 12 months +

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Phenom said:

Would take both Zinchenko and Ake for reasonable prices 

Yes I would especially Zinchenko. Each time I see him I am more impressed. The way he coped through what must be a traumatic time for him has been admirable. An excellent technical and tenacious talent. Looks like a natural leader by example. Some of the players on city and Chelsea’s books that will be offloaded are real quality. Not sure we could afford any mind. Gabriel Jesus would be another I think would fit perfectly here with our style. Character is very important and of course they would have to want to impress here and they may be looking for something else. I would be very interested in Garner too if that were feasible. 

Edited by Supergray22