Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

Now that Wales have qualified for the World Cup, would you take Gareth Bale on a 6 month/1 year contract? Wages would be super steep, and he'd by his own admission just be looking to keep fit for the WC, but as far as left footed right wingers go, we could do much worse. I'd argue that him being on a free would give us some flexibility to spend cash elsewhere, but I think his wages would be so high it might actually offset that.

52 minutes ago, -sodapop said:

Now that Wales have qualified for the World Cup, would you take Gareth Bale on a 6 month/1 year contract? Wages would be super steep, and he'd by his own admission just be looking to keep fit for the WC, but as far as left footed right wingers go, we could do much worse. I'd argue that him being on a free would give us some flexibility to spend cash elsewhere, but I think his wages would be so high it might actually offset that.

You’ve answered your own point there about keeping fit for the WC. He will canter away for six months and probably play half of the games at tops 

1 hour ago, -sodapop said:

Yeah if there's a chance he'd come we should go for it. As long as his salary is manageable.

Imagine seeing him in the team, a proper right winger linking up with Madison and Barnes.

• Like 1

RLC's stats are much better than I thought apart from his defensive numbers. He's more of a box to box CM in a three than the more advanced CM in a pair.

17 minutes ago, Shane said:

Wonder if we will be interested in Badiashile? Left footed CB, playing alongside Fofana for the French U21s.

https://fbref.com/en/players/06df8256/Benoit-Badiashile

...sounds like a CB who likes to progress the play!!!

Lots of green in the first sector the last sector seems as if he tends not to go to ground too often. 

• Like 1

hudson-odoi is very much on the fringes of chelsea. They are looking to bring more wingers and he would be very much available. I believe that they probably see us as much less of a threat now and that they would consider a loan. 

I read recently that he has been at the training ground every day since the end of the season completely on his own. He is hugely determined to get past his injury struggles and back to his best.

I am a huge fan and although this might seem like a weird scouting angle, but i take my fantasy draft league very serious (we put bunce on it)  and bought him in during their injury crisis. He didnt exactly haul in the G & A’s but he was their best player in about 5/6 games in that period (including against us). He was a little unfairly dropped the moment players came back. 

I think there’s a real player in there and if he’s motivated and they are willing to loan him. It might just be worth saving some of our kitty for other positions.  I’m not normally a big fan of loans, especially for clubs in our league but his wages are astronomical. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

hudson-odoi is very much on the fringes of chelsea. They are looking to bring more wingers and he would be very much available. I believe that they probably see us as much less of a threat now and that they would consider a loan. 

I read recently that he has been at the training ground every day since the end of the season completely on his own. He is hugely determined to get past his injury struggles and back to his best.

I am a huge fan and although this might seem like a weird scouting angle, but i take my fantasy draft league very serious (we put bunce on it)  and bought him in during their injury crisis. He didnt exactly haul in the G & A’s but he was their best player in about 5/6 games in that period (including against us). He was a little unfairly dropped the moment players came back. 

I think there’s a real player in there and if he’s motivated and they are willing to loan him. It might just be worth saving some of our kitty for other positions.  I’m not normally a big fan of loans, especially for clubs in our league but his wages are astronomical. 

Hudson-Odoi is in a really weird spot at Chelsea where he’s good enough for the fringes, but Chelsea need instant success and they can’t afford to give Hudson-Odoi a full season or maybe longer to really hit his stride as it’s effectively a wasted position for a club that wants to win everything, which is great for clubs like us who could give him time to build. He strikes me as one of those players that has the potential to genuinely be one of the best wingers in the premier league if he can just get enough game time to learn and grow. 

I’d 100% take him, Play him on the right rather than making him fight with Barnes and let him play week in week out. 
Lookman was similar in that respect, there’s a hell of a player in there and when he got proper game time for us he looked quite handy albeit he hasn’t really proven himself to be top 6 quality which is what we want. H-O could be a very shrewd  signing for the right price.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

The main thing is, he’d be good enough for us which is enough for me to want him 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Hudson-Odoi is in a really weird spot at Chelsea where he’s good enough for the fringes, but Chelsea need instant success and they can’t afford to give Hudson-Odoi a full season or maybe longer to really hit his stride as it’s effectively a wasted position for a club that wants to win everything, which is great for clubs like us who could give him time to build. He strikes me as one of those players that has the potential to genuinely be one of the best wingers in the premier league if he can just get enough game time to learn and grow. 

I’d 100% take him, Play him on the right rather than making him fight with Barnes and let him play week in week out. 
Lookman was similar in that respect, there’s a hell of a player in there and when he got proper game time for us he looked quite handy albeit he hasn’t really proven himself to be top 6 quality which is what we want. H-O could be a very shrewd  signing for the right price.

Yet another natural LW who gets moved to the right.

Other than that theres 2 other main problems:

-He's on silly wages. Chelsea gave him a massive contract way too early into his career, think its more than Vardy makes.
-Since his achilles injury he's not been anywhere near the same level that Chelsea gave him that contract for.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

Yet another natural LW who gets moved to the right.

Other than that theres 2 other main problems:

-He's on silly wages. Chelsea gave him a massive contract way too early into his career, think its more than Vardy makes.
-Since his achilles injury he's not been anywhere near the same level that Chelsea gave him that contract for.

This in a nut shell.

Before he kicked a ball for Chelsea’s first team he was on more than our average wage bill - media reports were linking him to Bayern.

Back to the well if you ask me.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We should be looking at their academy for disgruntled players, Martyn Glover certainly has done so for Southampton several times already.

Brighton have done this well too. I think this has never been more true than in the last couple of seasons and today. Some big teams have accumulated a surplus of young talent on their books who will not get regular first team action at their own clubs and are not prepared to waste time warming the bench or continuously going out on loan. Some are  earning decent wages but won’t even get in the squad. Some good deals to be had. 

• Like 1

The whole thing about Chelsea not playing teenagers is a bit of a red herring in my opinion. Mount, Chalobah & James are all regular starters, so they've got a decent amount of academy graduates in the team - they've just needed to bide their time a little bit. If we're going by the minutes played for teenagers metric, we've had zero this season too - but there is a clear route to the first team for quality academy players.

If we can swoop in and grab Colwill because he wants first team football right now, then great - but he might not be as disillusioned/impatient as we think.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

The whole thing about Chelsea not playing teenagers is a bit of a red herring in my opinion. Mount, Chalobah & James are all regular starters, so they've got a decent amount of academy graduates in the team - they've just needed to bide their time a little bit. If we're going by the minutes played for teenagers metric, we've had zero this season too - but there is a clear route to the first team for quality academy players.

If we can swoop in and grab Colwill because he wants first team football right now, then great - but he might not be as disillusioned/impatient as we think.

We're probably worse in that regard anyway, we've given inferior older academy players such as McAteer and Brunt PL gametime ahead of the likes of Nelson, Braybrooke, Wanya Marca etc. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We're probably worse in that regard anyway, we've given inferior older academy players such as McAteer and Brunt PL gametime ahead of the likes of Nelson, Braybrooke, Wanya Marca etc. 

The general thinking on here is you are a young player until you are 26. I blame Vardy.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Agreed. They do have to bide their time with us, feel like they're all at least 20 before they get a PL debut with us. Might have to buck our ideas up, because if the academy lot are as good as everyone says, they're probably not going to want to wait another 2-3 seasons before they get a look in.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, indierich06 said:

Agreed. They do have to bide their time with us, feel like they're all at least 20 before they get a PL debut with us. Might have to buck our ideas up, because if the academy lot are as good as everyone says, they're probably not going to want to wait another 2-3 seasons before they get a look in.

...there was a opportunity to get some academy players on the pitch at the end of the season!!!

I suppose Rodgers prioritised the league position over league debuts.

Going out on loan is a linear progression as opposed to cameos for the first team,  it is the next step up, and we may just see a few going out to learn their trade.