Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

....the RW position seems to be something that comes with caveats!!!

We look for a player that can be versatile, can play centrally, double as a CAM or can play both sides (RW, LW), it is the last thing I really want to see. We look to bring in a player in other positions and need them to play that position, you only see if he can help out elsewhere in desperate situations. I want a player who can take on a man and beat him or them out wide and cut in and shoot or link up by him releasing someone in on goal.

Probably how the game has moved on now, bringing through hybrid players who are neither one thing or the other, but I would rather have someone who plays the RW role and that is his sole position. There is nothing better than watching a inverted winger in full flow, it will always get you off your seat.

3 hours ago, kingfox said:

Now the transfer window is officially open, after extensive research because I’m a sad c**t...

Goalkeeper

A potentially intriguing situation, however I’d happily stick with who we currently have. Let Schmeichel run down his contract and inevitably part ways next season. Iverson deserves a shot after his impressive season at Preston, whether he and Ward would be happy to tussle for back up, who knows, but if one of them departs, it should probably be Ward, especially as Wales have qualified for the World Cup. The only downside I see with not changing goalkeepers for the upcoming season, is that some ideal targets will more than likely get snapped up this summer.

Centre Backs

1) Facundo Medina - He is the type of defender we absolutely love. Quick, aggressive, comfortable with the ball, carries the ball, and averages more tackles & interceptions than Evans, Fofana & Soyuncu. The only downside is that he’s 5ft11.

2) Chris Richards & Levi Colwill - I’ll put these guys in the same bracket, young, quick and will give us the height that some are craving. Both look an ideal fit for us, would be extremely happy with either.

3) Nathan Ake - Seems to be surplus to requirements at Man City, if Man City want more than £20 million though I’d look elsewhere, if we could get him for under £20 million he’d be a very sensible signing.

Defensive Midfield

1) Ibrahim Sangare - Of course he’s been linked, he’d be an absolute perfect fit, but the question is, do we actually need him? The only way I see us signing him is if we sell Ndidi, I can’t see him coming to play backup as he’d want first team football. 

2) Mohamed Camara - More like Kante than Ndidi, but this guy is absolute class. Yet again though, I can’t see us really needing him unless we sell Ndidi.

Defensive Midfield/Central Midfield

1) Cheick Doucoure - Now I can definitely see someone of his ilk coming in, especially with Soumare likely to depart. This is the guy we should have signed instead of Soumare, a box to box midfielder who would give us input on both the defensive and attacking ends. Crystal Palace have been heavily linked, I’d jump in quick.

2) Kouadio Kone - Was tediously linked last month, but he is definitely a player we should be looking at. Far better defensively than Soumare, plus he would offer physicality. The only reason he’s my second choice behind Doucoure is because of his attacking input. 

Central Midfield(Tielemans replacement)

1) Florian Neuhaus - The closest replacement we could get to Tielemans. Many similarities in their style of play, similar attacking input, similar creative input and similar defensive input. The only concern would be that very much like Youri, Neuhaus had some dips in form last season, if he could replicate his 20/21 season form, he’d be one hell of a signing.

2) Sander Berge - Slightly changed his position at Sheff Utd last season, but a midfielder who can easily play as a 6, 8 or 10. He’d give us flexibility and physicality, something that we ideally need in midfield. 

3) Orkun Kokcu - Technically gifted and in many ways, a very ideal replacement for Youri. The only reason he’s my third choice is his defensive input.

Right Wing/Attacking Midfield

1) Benjamin Bourigeaud - Tediously linked the other month shortly after beating Rennes, wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if he’s on our radar. Rodgers seems to like right midfielders who can come inside and also occupy centrally. Bourigeaud produced 11 goals and 13 assists last season, he mainly occupied the right wing, but can easily play a more central role as seen in other seasons. 

2) Ludovic Blas - Ric Flair’s best mate will no doubt be on the move this summer. Reports stating that he can leave Nantes for £17 million. Can easily accommodate both the attacking midfield and right wing position, identical goal & assist contributions over the past two seasons. 

3) Chris Willock - Will probably be an underwhelming shout to some, the question mark would be, would he be able to step up from Championship football, but he certainly had an impressive 21/22 campaign. QPR’s Player of the Season, 7 goals, 11 assists, plays mainly as an attacking midfielder but can also play right and left wing. 

Left Midfield

1) Maxwel Cornet - Depending on finances, Maxwel Cornet available for £17 million would be a better option than Lookman for £14 million. Now Burnley have been relegated, signing Cornet seems like a no brainer, would be perfect competition for Barnes and he can play striker, left-back and right-wing. 

2) Keane Lewis-Potter - Very much like Cornet, if you could get him in the same price region, signing him would be a no brainer, anything above £20 million though, despite him being incredibly talented, I’d rather focus elsewhere. 

3) Ademola Lookman - I’d be more than happy to see him signed permanently; however the reason why he’d be my third choice, is because Cornet & Lewis-Potter for a couple of million more would be more worth it. 

Striker

1) Charles De Ketelaere - Looking increasingly unlikely atm, he would be the only striker I’d happily see replace Iheanacho though. He’d give us that Plan B option, something that we don’t have in the striker department, plus he can play pretty much anywhere across the frontline. If we can’t get him, then I’d rather we stuck with Iheanacho, rather than signing someone like Ali-Cho or Piroe.

Outs

Caglar Soyuncu

Jannik Vestergaard 

Hamza Choudhury

Dennis Praet

Boubakary Soumare

Youri Tielemans 

Ayoze Perez

Ward & Iheanacho would be on the maybe list 👍🏻

Good work

• Like 1

Zinchenko likely to be leaving Man City this summer, left footed, wants to play in midfield as he does for Ukraine. Watched him playing midfield against Scotland and Wales. He is a much better centre mid than left back. Good close control, good range of passing, defensive awareness and no slouch. We could do much much worse than bring this guy in. He already knows what the Premier League is all about and doesn't look phased by it.

• Like 4

My only worry with bringing him in is that he'd likely be a deep-lying creative midfielder on the left side of a three or he'd sit on Ndidi's left in a double pivot which would beg the question, where would KDH play?

I guess we could move KDH further forward as a 10 or even have Zinchenko as a 10 instead, but that would mean Maddison would more or less permanently be on the right or left of a front three. So no left-footed RW unless we buy an up-and-coming player who doesn't mind sitting on the bench and replacing Maddison, Zinchenko or KDH to keep them fresh.

Other than that, I think Zinchenko is a fabulous player and would definitely strengthen the side.

Edited by ALC Fox

Is Moutinho worth a shout if he turns down Wolves contract offer? 

> Sign Moutinho for free on a 1 year contract to replace Tielemans. 

> Sell Tielemans for 25-30m.

> Spend the 25-30m on Sangare or Kone.

> Replace Moutinho next season with Braybrooke or Callum Wright.

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

Is Moutinho worth a shout if he turns down Wolves contract offer? 

> Sign Moutinho for free on a 1 year contract to replace Tielemans. 

> Sell Tielemans for 25-30m.

> Spend the 25-30m on Sangare or Kone.

> Replace Moutinho next season with Braybrooke or Callum Wright.

He's going to absolutely get better offers than one year, not sure why he'd choose that. That being said, I'm really hoping Kone is the midfielder we go for.

1 hour ago, MalletFox said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned in previous pages here, but I wouldn’t be against bringing Ben Mee in on a free transfer (just seen he’s left Burnley), a left sided CB, steady enough and aggressive. Think he would be a good addition.

No chance with the way Brendan plays. He couldn't play out from the back, he's just an old fashioned win it back and lump it forward centre back. Good in the air and a good defender but would be as unsuitable in our system as big Yan is given his lack of pace and our high line