Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

Yeah we’re odds on for relegation because we’ve not had many Twitter transfer links yet. Get a grip man. We’re a couple of changes and signings away from challenging for Europe, and if things go badly again like last season then we’ll finish mid table again. Why are so many people so keen for us to do badly? We just love to moan. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

People are over-reacting. Yes, it’s true we might have expected some movement by now but it’s only mid June so it’s hardly time to panic. 

I appreciate there is a hangover from the disappointment of last season and concern that without improvement we’re heading in the wrong direction but we just don’t know what is really happening.

Speculation is fun up to a point but talking yourself into a domesday scenario at this stage isn’t. 

This. CB is the key signing as others face said, ideally with a more physical midfielder  (unless Soumare has an incredible turnaround in form and confidence). RW would be great as well but Maddison has done well in that position. 

Been watching some old highlights and we haven’t had as dominant a CB in the air since Maguire left. As much as his game has issues, he would fight for everything in the air and no surprise as @StriderHiryusaid, we were best at defending set pieces when he was here. And how amazing were we on set pieces in the O’Neill years, the effort and determination to get to each cross is severely lacking now. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Weller said:

People are over-reacting. Yes, it’s true we might have expected some movement by now but it’s only mid June so it’s hardly time to panic. 

I appreciate there is a hangover from the disappointment of last season and concern that without improvement we’re heading in the wrong direction but we just don’t know what is really happening.

Speculation is fun up to a point but talking yourself into a domesday scenario at this stage isn’t. 

Whilst I agree it’s too early to start hitting the panic button it has to be said that there wouldn’t be the same level of worry/concern if Rodgers back in January didn’t shift the blame from him/players against Forest.

I know he said if afterwards but if you make such bold statements about some players needing to go/squad rebuild then even the biggest Rodgers critic would be understanding of our finances.

Keeping all our players fit is vital for next season and with the WC in Nov/Dec there will be some surprises in the league/cups if ask me but relying on Evans/Vardy when history would suggest they’ll play 25/30 games best next season without obvious quality replacing (Daka could step up to be fair) is the biggest issue right now.

2 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

This. CB is the key signing as others face said, ideally with a more physical midfielder  (unless Soumare has an incredible turnaround in form and confidence). RW would be great as well but Maddison has done well in that position. 

Been watching some old highlights and we haven’t had as dominant a CB in the air since Maguire left. As much as his game has issues, he would fight for everything in the air and no surprise as @StriderHiryusaid, we were best at defending set pieces when he was here. And how amazing were we on set pieces in the O’Neill years, the effort and determination to get to each cross is severely lacking now. 

I agree with our vulnerability in the air. However ,who gets benched Fofana or Evans? Three at the back is hated on here.

13 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I agree with our vulnerability in the air. However ,who gets benched Fofana or Evans? Three at the back is hated on here.

Can’t see Evans playing week in week out given his injury issues, even if we’re not in Europe this season, We need to manage him carefully. 

I’ve said it many times before on how I wonder how many posters make it through a single day, 9 days into a 84 day transfer window and they on meltdown.

Whilst there have been a few transfers players and representatives are on holiday, players will hold to look at all options as will clubs & most importantly a transfer window needs the bigger clubs in all markets to make their moves in order to generate the circle of money it’s the domino effect.

I’d imagine we won’t see real progress until July but doesn’t mean we haven’t started negotiations already, every clubs probably putting the feelers out to understand the market in both buying and selling as you don’t want to go in to high and also don’t want to sell to low.

Spurs getting Bissouma so early and for £35m+ helps us with Tielemens as they have now set the mark for an important player with 1yr left on their contract I bet the likes of Arsenal are slightly furious with Spurs, equally if Spurs had waited they yes risk losing out but also could have got for less & whilst £10m might not be a big deal to them it is to a club like ours.

Just cool ya jets it’ll happen and I’d rather we do it sensibly and get the players we want than rush in pay over the odds and not get all we need.

Edited by BKLFox

1 hour ago, lcfc_forever said:

Get Evans, Fofana and Ndidi together I'm the same side for 38 games we will be much better on the set pieces front.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Get Evans, Fofana and Ndidi together I'm the same side for 38 games we will be much better on the set pieces front.

Your plan is betting on Evans being fit for 38 games?

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Your plan is betting on Evans being fit for 38 games?

He managed it in 19/20 38 PL games (46 in all comps), the introduction of extra European games seem to be were his injury problem worsened, even in 20/21 he managed 28 (37 in all comps).

This season he managed 26 in all comps 

We need to managed him well, which is easier when you aren't playing 3 games a week, can't see why we can't get 30+ PL games out of him. 

I expect to see us bring in another CB once we move on Soyuncu as well, who will be more dominate in the air. 

I've thought before that we could be a team that does 2 years in, 2 years out of Europe. We just don't have the depth in numbers to continually do Europe (in whatever guise that may be), so a 4 year cycle looks best.

Year 1 - clear out and set up solid league position to build on (8th-10th)

Year 2 - bring in the quality, with fresh legs and achieve top 6/7

Year 3 - European run, do respectably and keep up that coefficient. Get that top 6/7 again. Maybe lose a key player or two in the window, now they've demonstrated they can play in top comps.

Year 4 - things catch up with you but it's still a decent season and contract issues become apparent.

I'm not saying this in a negative at all. There are clubs who would absolutely kill for that but, given our size, location and budget, I think we need to be prepared to take the rough with the smooth. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, scinnell said:

And Ndidi being fit for 38 games..

21/22 31 games all comps.

20/21 36 games all comps.

19/20 39 games all comps.

He can play 30 + games a season as shown above, what he can't do is play 3 games a week in all comps.

Strip away all the European fixtures and early cup games and manage him well he will be fine.

Issue for the whole squad is in the last two seasons we have played 111 games 58 (21/22), 53 (20/21), last season we played as many games as Man City, I think only Liverpool 63 and Chelsea 63 played more games.

Our squad has been stretched beyond belief, in hindsight 8th was a decent performance.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

21/22 31 games all comps.

20/21 36 games all comps.

19/20 39 games all comps.

He can play 30 + games a season as shown above, what he can't do is play 3 games a week in all comps.

Strip away all the European fixtures and early cup games and manage him well he will be fine.

Issue for the whole squad is in the last two seasons we have played 111 games 58 (21/22), 53 (20/21)

A fair few of them with 10+ national appearances added onto that as well

Only breaks Ndidi, Youri, Evans etc. have been able to have is when they are injured

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

And then hopefully, eventually what will happen is that our reputation grows further for doing this, which then allows us to progress to attracting even better players over time. 

Exactly. Organic growth. Unless we get bought by a country or someone who just funnels money into the club for their plaything/ laundering purposes, or Leicester suddenly becomes as attractive as London/ Manchester, we've got a bit of a ceiling.

But, if we can get a good enough rep, where players know they have a decent chance of a cup and Europe, to show what they can go do - that's a great place to be without also selling our soul.

4 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

If like us to sign Nathan Collins if we could get him. I don’t think he would displace evans when fit and on form and definitely not Fofana. I don’t think the aerial vulnerability will be solved by one individual on the pitch necessarily. Better organisation, communication and much more desire and aggression to defend across the team is what is needed. A good defensive coach would be a sound signing. 

2 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

If like us to sign Nathan Collins if we could get him. I don’t think he would displace evans when fit and on form and definitely not Fofana. I don’t think the aerial vulnerability will be solved by one individual on the pitch necessarily. Better organisation, communication and much more desire and aggression to defend across the team is what is needed. A good defensive coach would be a sound signing. 

You’re right, we’re just too passive on set pieces. We need more proactivity and aggression, needs a mindset change as well as new players - don’t think Amartey and Soy have it in a them to show that consistently. 

3 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

Collins is rancid IMO, one of the reasons Burnley went down. 

We ought be looking for a far more athletic defenders with aerial presence rather than the next Maguire. 

2 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Collins is rancid IMO, one of the reasons Burnley went down. 

We ought be looking for a far more athletic defenders with aerial presence rather than the next Maguire. 

That strikes me as harsh given he only played half their games. From what (admittedly very little) I've seen of him for both Burnley and Ireland he is a fair bit quicker and more agile than you'd expect of a 6'4 centre back. He wouldn't be top of my list necessarily but I suspect he'll be back out of the Championship before too long.

• Like 1