Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, SafewayFox said:

This.

I crave for the day where you talk to away fans and they fear how our attacking players will hurt them, seem faster/stronger than their players.

A signing like Sarr is exactly what I’d love to see but I’m with you, BR rightfully so is considering teams that low block us so it’s definitely a conundrum.

Pretty sure we scored the 5th most goals in the Premier league last year. I don't think Sarr will make us anymore feared.

Any one ever thought that it’s our slow build up that actually allows the opposition low block in the first place ?

we had many opportunities last season to attack with pace when an opposition attack broke down but we were happy to keep possession rather than attack with any purpose..

more forward minded players is what we need in midfield /RW

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SafewayFox said:

This.

I crave for the day where you talk to away fans and they fear how our attacking players will hurt them, seem faster/stronger than their players.

A signing like Sarr is exactly what I’d love to see but I’m with you, BR rightfully so is considering teams that low block us so it’s definitely a conundrum.

....moving the ball quicker would help!!!

We tend to want to play it out from the back. I am not a fan of Sarr, but moving the ball quickly, when these teams are not in their positions, would be the key. From Claudio to Rodgers, the same thing is constantly being said, "we need to move the ball quicker" and we are using, to a degree a nucleus of the same players. In the games where we were on fire, we camped in the opponents' half, we choked the life out of them, but now teams sit off us and we look for guile and intelligent play to overcome the situation.

• Like 1

Just now, Pliskin said:

I’m starting to think now only two players will be coming in. A defender and Lookman. I’m willing to stick £5 on Youri staying now too. 

I’ve got a feeling Youri will stay too. However, I think we’re going to see lots of players leave and we’ll be able to replace a few more of them.

4 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Pretty sure most already do talk like that about Barnes, Vardy and Maddison especially. 

I meant in terms of pure excitement or looking with envy at the physical nature.

Vardy in his pomp as an example scared defenders but even the GOAT doesn’t have that same fear factor in terms of being embarrassed with a simple burst of pace

4 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Pretty sure we scored the 5th most goals in the Premier league last year. I don't think Sarr will make us anymore feared.

That is undeniable but how many games did we look comfortable?

Definitely not as many as Rodgers previous seasons.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, SafewayFox said:

I meant in terms of pure excitement or looking with envy at the physical nature.

Vardy in his pomp as an example scared defenders but even the GOAT doesn’t have that same fear factor in terms of being embarrassed with a simple burst of pace

That is undeniable but how many games did we look comfortable?

Definitely not as many as Rodgers previous seasons.

Because we conceded more goals..... you're talking utter nonsense.

7 minutes ago, Dusty said:

I’ve got a feeling Youri will stay too. However, I think we’re going to see lots of players leave and we’ll be able to replace a few more of them.

Some players , Bertrand, Perez Hamza ,Amartey ,Hirst and Wright would probably leave if we pay up their contracts. That would mean a considerable financial hit. Somehow I don't think the club are prepared to do that.

Just now, An Sionnach said:

Some players , Bertrand, Perez Hamza ,Amartey ,Hirst and Wright would probably leave if we pay up their contracts. That would mean a considerable financial hit. Somehow I don't think the club are prepared to do that.

I dont think it will come to that. Lots of those players could go on and have good careers in top flight football in this country or abroad. We might only make small fees and still make small contributions to their salaries but we won’t have to pay them off to leave. Except maybe for Bertrand. 

9 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Because we conceded more goals..... you're talking utter nonsense.

So name me games where we’ve won comfortably then?

So we scored 62 goals which wasn’t this HUGE number like you make out and factor in us scoring 9 in dead rubbers against Watford/Southampton.

Edited by SafewayFox

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Those 3 are some of the most exciting forward players from the "other 14". We then have Daka and Lookman (hopefully) to provide that extra pace, anyway. 

Which I agree with to an extent but how many bemoan about Barnes on here and act like he’s no better than Gray?

Just read the posts on him or during matches and he got hammered more than not this season so which is it?

8 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Paying up their contracts would be stupid. 

Then they will probably stay. We may be paying large salaries to players who will not make the 25 squad. Alternatively they go on loan and we pay their salaries meaning clubs get essentially free players.

Edited by An Sionnach

Guest Chocolate Teapot
7 minutes ago, SafewayFox said:

So name me games where we’ve won comfortably then?

So we scored 62 goals which wasn’t this HUGE number like you make out and factor in us scoring 9 in dead rubbers against Watford/Southampton.

We didn't win comfortably because the defence was shit.....

3 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

We didn't win comfortably because the defence was shit.....

So 62 goals is a prolific scoring team?

That was the point of my original comment about having players that strike fear due to their pace, physicality etc in my appreciation for players like Sarr.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, SafewayFox said:

So 62 goals is a prolific scoring team?

That was the point of my original comment about having players that strike fear due to their pace, physicality etc in my appreciation for players like Sarr.

I mean it is yeah but you seem to think signing a winger from a relegated side who has contributed about 5 premier league goals in his life transforms us into the most feared side in the Premier league. It's absolutely bizarre logic.

38 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I mean it is yeah but you seem to think signing a winger from a relegated side who has contributed about 5 premier league goals in his life transforms us into the most feared side in the Premier league. It's absolutely bizarre logic.

I don’t like Sarr anywhere close to what I liked him a few seasons ago either but what would be your solution at the RW? Or do you not think we need one?

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Phenom said:

I don’t like Sarr anywhere close to what I liked him a few seasons ago either but what would be your solution at the RW? Or do you not think we need one?

We definitely need one but there's no point in signing a player who's no better than what we've got.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
20 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

We were very efficient finishers. We weren't anything special going forward.

As we have been for the last three years. And will continue to be whilst we have players that can finish.

im curious where people think we would finish without any signings or outgoings (other than lookman).  If we can keep everyone fit, as much as its against the grain... I think we could still do very well. 

Sometimes stepping back and assessing what we have helps numb the pain of no movement.  Id rather have a fit and motivated youri than anyone we will sign.... its just whether or not we get that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

im curious where people think we would finish without any signings or outgoings (other than lookman).  If we can keep everyone fit, as much as its against the grain... I think we could still do very well. 

Sometimes stepping back and assessing what we have helps numb the pain of no movement.  Id rather have a fit and motivated youri than anyone we will sign.... its just whether or not we get that. 

Possibly, or you then have an even bigger task next summer where we lose 6+ players on frees as well as have the likes of Maddison and Ndidi in the same situation as Tielemans and Soyuncu.

It's fine to lose a few on frees who are squad players (Hamza, Perez etc) as the wages saved is usually enough to free up some good resource to make additions but to lose a lot + key first teamers and then have to sell other key players at reduced fees becomes a huge headache and its where regression can happen hard and fast and I fear that's where we could end up.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Possibly, or you then have an even bigger task next summer where we lose 6+ players on frees as well as have the likes of Maddison and Ndidi in the same situation as Tielemans and Soyuncu.

It's fine to lose a few on frees who are squad players (Hamza, Perez etc) as the wages saved is usually enough to free up some good resource to make additions but to lose a lot + key first teamers and then have to sell other key players at reduced fees becomes a huge headache and its where regression can happen hard and fast and I fear that's where we could end up.

yep agreed. I’d hope if that were to happen we’d be using the cash on some new deals to avoid that.  It would be worth giving youri a big sum just for an additional year. 

To be honest, if we do have a howler of a window and really don't have much money we ought to get 3 loan players in and cut our cloth accordingly until next summers huge rebuild which will be inevitable anyway.

Cole Palmer, James McAtee or Omari Hutchinson for RW/ACM.

Levi Colwill or Chris Richards for LCB

James Garner CM

If nobody will pay for Tielemans or Soyuncu then just loan them for the season covering all their wages + any loan fee we may get. 

Do whatever to shift Hamza, Perez and Vestergaard even if we have to cover the majority of their wages.

Sign Swedberg and Holm for the fee we get for Praet (both would cost less than £10m combined) and loan straight to Leuven and at least 1 of those 2 + Braybrooke will be 1st team ready to replace Tielemans next summer.

Sadly we aren't in for Ebiowi but Omari Hutchinson only has 1 year left on his deal and both Palmer and McAtee won't want to stick around at Man City whilst they keep collecting left footed midfielders and wingers.