Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

If we keep Tielemans for 2022/23 season with a 1 year extension i can see there being very little activity of note at Leicester. 

We put a team in place at the start of last season that should have been mustard. 

That got derailed by injury. 

There is a school of thought that says - castagne, ricardo, justin, evans, fofana, ndidi, vardy  are essentially like new signings if they all have a preseason, we are lucky with injuries and we can hit the ground running in August. 

We could then focus on 1 or 2 signings max to ensure we aren't short. 

It looks like none of our english players will go to the world cup, nigeria and zambia didn't qualify and neither did northern ireland + Fofana is not in the France squad - so the November / December period should also see us be able to recover from any injury crises we may suffer in Aug-October and be a force in January aswell - when other prem clubs will be below strength.

From a pure investment perspective now isn't the time to panic and lump £100m on players IMO.

If we start the first prem games with the below fully fit - are we really going to be too concerned?

Schmeichel

Justin Evans Fofana Castagne

Ndidi 

Tielemans KDH

Maddison

Vardy Barnes

subs: Daka, Iheanacho, Braybrooke, Ricardo, Iversen, Thomas, Soyuncu

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Are you okay? lol 

We finished 8th in a season where we had an awful back 4 and a squad depleted by injuries for most of it. Think about how much better we're set up to finish higher with Fofana back, and Evans and Vardy only having to play once a week. We're gonna be challenging for Europe. 

My thoughts too. But there’s got to be the pre-season doom and gloom first…. 

15 hours ago, Pliskin said:

But how often have we sat here pre season fretting about opponents summer business, and then it turns out that they’re no better?

Its one thing clubs like Man City making vast improvements, but sides like West Ham et al often destabilise their dynamic.

All I’ll say is don’t write off not making whole sale changes it doesn’t mean your side diminishes as a result. 

I’m starting to think there a bit of a rift between Rodgers and the recruitment team. Rumours of fall outs mid season and then Rodgers bangs on about needing a refresh? 

It’s clear this refresh isn’t happening, if we’re not careful we could end up with no new players by the time the season starts…. Rodgers has made a rod for his own back a little here, because he’s openly said what we need, and it might be unachievable at the moment. 

Rodgers does have previous with falling out with his recruitment department at Liverpool so that is possible. The decision to let Congerton go and delay with Glover coming in hasn’t helped us.

Our first XI when fit and on form are competitive but we need to make a few quality additions IMO to keep the team fresh. Also if Youri stays a bit of competition wouldn’t hurt him.

Left side CB, midfielder and Right winger the positions we need to fill but we all know that.

Hopefully we can get a few over the line in the next few weeks.

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Are you okay? lol 

We finished 8th in a season where we had an awful back 4 and a squad depleted by injuries for most of it. Think about how much better we're set up to finish higher with Fofana back, and Evans and Vardy only having to play once a week. We're gonna be challenging for Europe. 

I'm exaggerating of course hahahaha I'm currently isolating against covid and quite bored, hoping if i say something ridiculous something will happen. But in all seriousness if our business ain't good we'll fall down the ladder probably from 10-14. Come on leicester do some shrewd business. Maybe patience is key. 

4 hours ago, FosseSpark said:

If we keep Tielemans for 2022/23 season with a 1 year extension i can see there being very little activity of note at Leicester. 

We put a team in place at the start of last season that should have been mustard. 

That got derailed by injury. 

There is a school of thought that says - castagne, ricardo, justin, evans, fofana, ndidi, vardy  are essentially like new signings if they all have a preseason, we are lucky with injuries and we can hit the ground running in August. 

We could then focus on 1 or 2 signings max to ensure we aren't short. 

It looks like none of our english players will go to the world cup, nigeria and zambia didn't qualify and neither did northern ireland + Fofana is not in the France squad - so the November / December period should also see us be able to recover from any injury crises we may suffer in Aug-October and be a force in January aswell - when other prem clubs will be below strength.

From a pure investment perspective now isn't the time to panic and lump £100m on players IMO.

If we start the first prem games with the below fully fit - are we really going to be too concerned?

Schmeichel

Justin Evans Fofana Castagne

Ndidi 

Tielemans KDH

Maddison

Vardy Barnes

subs: Daka, Iheanacho, Braybrooke, Ricardo, Iversen, Thomas, Soyuncu

Personally I think that now is exactly the time for a squad reboot. We have a lot of dead wood to clear out amd players with 1 year contracts. We have to be on the ball with this. 

Ps. The bench you've proposed looks neither hear nor there and very unimaginative.

Get CDK, get a centre-half, bring Lookman home and that's me happy. If we manage to offload deadwood on top of that that's me sorted.

Should there be any high-profile departures, obviously try and replace them accordingly.

17 minutes ago, Merchant_Banker said:

This is the problem, we are paying the fringe players more than they would get elsewhere.

Yes. Let the following go for whatever we can get;

Jakupovic

Ward

Daly-Campbell

Soyuncu

Thomas (Loan out)

Praet

Choudhury

Soumare (Loan out)

Perez

1 minute ago, FoxinNotts said:

Yes. Let the following go for whatever we can get;

Jakupovic

Ward

Daly-Campbell

Soyuncu

Thomas (Loan out)

Praet

Choudhury

Soumare (Loan out)

Perez

Eldin and Daley Campbell are already gone

Guest Col city fan
54 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Yep, right winger, center back, Iversen as no.2 and Lookman on a permanent.

Get rid of 7 or 8 fringe players, and that's me done 

It’s looking like we couldn’t if we wanted to. No-one would come in for Bertrand. Amartey has never been sought after, if I recollect. Soumare doesn’t seem to have many suitors. Vestie… we’d never get anything near what we paid for him. I think part of the problem financially is that City can’t easily trim down the squad even if we wanted to. Very few clubs (if any) look to be interested in this lot

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s looking like we couldn’t if we wanted to. No-one would come in for Bertrand. Amartey has never been sought after, if I recollect. Soumare doesn’t seem to have many suitors. Vestie… we’d never get anything near what we paid for him. I think part of the problem financially is that City can’t easily trim down the squad even if we wanted to. Very few clubs (if any) look to be interested in this lot

If you look on my other post, I’ve actually come to terms with keeping Bertrand, Vestergaard. I’d keep Mendy and Amartey. With regards to Soumare, I’d loan him back to Lille (or another French team) in part-ex for a rhs winger or center back (Botman in the case of Lille)

I wonder if Yusuf Demir is worth another look. Didn't exactly tear it up at Barca after an bright start but he's still only 19 and currently ripping it up at the U19 Euro's.

We'd get a WP for him based on his appearances for Barca last season. Left footed RW/ACM.

Why do I do it to myself.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

Yep, right winger, center back, Iversen as no.2 and Lookman on a permanent.

Get rid of 7 or 8 fringe players, and that's me done 

If I’m to be greedy I would also like a more attacking left footed left back… send Thomas out on loan for a year or two as I think he needs regular first team football at this stage of his career.

HQ has just tweeted it but it got me thinking, I would take another look at Trincao.. Ended the season well at Wolves. Think there’s defo something there, would like us to sign him, Barca just wanna get rid now so he’d be cheap.. Very low risk, high reward deal imo.