Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Allenho11

Summer 2022 priorities (and realistic options)

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I don’t think we have a strong squad Ric.

We have a more than able first team, but lose Fofana again and we could be defensively calamitous.

Lose Wilf and Mendy is…..ok

Attacking wise I think we’re ok. 
Fofana is the key to not conceding many goals. If he’s fit and he plays we’ll be ok. Lose him (and Evans too) and we’re fooked in terms of goals conceded.

I mean it's very similar to the past few years where we've finished 5th, 5th and 7th. I'm as eager as the next man to get this squad sorted but I think we can go delirious in the midst of the summer that suddenly we are dog shit.

Trouble is coming here but right now it's not as bad as we may think. 

17 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I don’t think we have a strong squad Ric.

We have a more than able first team, but lose Fofana again and we could be defensively calamitous.

Lose Wilf and Mendy is…..ok

Attacking wise I think we’re ok. 
Fofana is the key to not conceding many goals. If he’s fit and he plays we’ll be ok. Lose him (and Evans too) and we’re fooked in terms of goals conceded.

Do West Ham have a strong squad? 

I think it's nailed on we announce an out of contract player next week. There's plenty available including ones we have held a previous interest in.

I've listed before but some that would be right up BR's street...

- Januzaj

- Belotti

- Lingard

- Tolisso

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

What everyone needs to remember is that whatever happens this summer is nothing compared to what we are faced with next summer. Whether a rebuild that's been promised this season doesn't happen, it absolutely will have to next summer as we have so many players out of contract and many others with only a year left and we are at a crucial period in the short to medium term future of our club.

Ideally we'd start the ball rolling this summer because we aren't really a club used to high turnovers of players in recent years and I'd fear we'd be overwhelmed. I think this is the start of a decline I'm afraid, I don't see how we replace Vardy, Schmeichel, Evans, Tielemans, Soyuncu and heaven forbid Maddison and Ndidi too all next summer. All the shit we are desperate to get rid of like Hamza, Perez, Vestergaard, Bertrand, Praet etc I'm not concerned about even though the reality is to replace them will cost us significantly more than we will get for them or what we save in wages.

I don't think Rodgers is the man to lead us through this, not unless he can Foster that confidence and momentum he brought us in the first few seasons as its going to take a huge mental strength to lead this club through a chaotic 12-24 months.

💯. If we don’t do any business this window we’ll have a tough and rough window next summer. 

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I would actually be pretty happy with Lingard, but would need to shift Perez as a result, which may not be easy. (and apparently Lingard is after massive wages which obviously isn't ideal with the current wage bill)

The interesting thing about the four above is that there's been no standout club linked with them so far. A smattering of rumours but not much else, so people like Tolisso and Belotti might lower expectations slightly come July 1st

Guest Col city fan
49 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I think it's nailed on we announce an out of contract player next week. There's plenty available including ones we have held a previous interest in.

I've listed before but some that would be right up BR's street...

- Januzaj

- Belotti

- Lingard

- Tolisso

We don’t need Belotti

Lingard I’d definitely take, but he’s greedy re wages

Tolisso I’d take in a heartbeat 

Januzaj… not sure 

Look on the bright side, we haven't signed anyone, and not been seriously linked to anyone, so we haven't had the chance to get excited about the next big thing by watching all their best bits on YouTube.  Only then to be naturally disappointed that the messiah(s) were false prophets. 

I think the issue we have is clearing the squad before we bloat it anymore. 

Ideally we’re looking at leaving

Outs

Choudhury - £5m

Soyuncu - £25m - £30m

Tielemans - £30m

Perez - £10m

Hirst - £3m

Soumare - £15 (before his value drops further)

I think Bertrand / Vestergaard will stay regardless then go earliest in January, or in the summer of 23/24. 

Marcel - loan out.

Baybrook - loan out.

Brunt - loan out. 

Ewing - loan out.

Iversen - loan out.

Some of those freed spaces get filled by Wright and Nelson, maybe even some of the players who need lids out. We don’t need the size of squad we had last season. 

And any that don’t go this summer or the January window, we’ll keep the money tight for now as well. By next summer we’ve got to asses what happens with the potential departures of Schmeichel, Vardy, Mendy, Amartey, Bertrand, Evans, Perez, Tielemans, Soyuncu and Choudhury. Some of those will be gone this summer. However that’s a major, major overhaul. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Herein lies our problem. Imagine Fofana is on more than this too.

Screenshot_20220625-072616_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220625-072608_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

1 hour ago, Sly said:

I think the issue we have is clearing the squad before we bloat it anymore. 

Ideally we’re looking at leaving

Outs

Choudhury - £5m

Soyuncu - £25m - £30m

Tielemans - £30m

Perez - £10m

Hirst - £3m

Soumare - £15 (before his value drops further)

I think Bertrand / Vestergaard will stay regardless then go earliest in January, or in the summer of 23/24. 

Marcel - loan out.

Baybrook - loan out.

Brunt - loan out. 

Ewing - loan out.

Iversen - loan out.

Some of those freed spaces get filled by Wright and Nelson, maybe even some of the players who need lids out. We don’t need the size of squad we had last season. 

You need to take £10m off the Youri and soyuncu prices, and at least £5m off the Soumare price. These guys are not in demand we can’t just charge what we want and assume we’ll get it. We’re going to make losses on lots of players atm as our recruitment has been relatively poor over the last few windows, we really do need a refresh but it’s going to be with limited cash.

• Like 1

With the squad returning for pre-season next week where are we with new signings?

Are we pursuing one or two quality additions and willing to go deep into the window,  trying to negotiate the price as low as possible and get our main target ? Or

Have we missed out on are priority targets and we are moving down the list to get more reasonably priced, achievable targets like Bourigeaud and Lewis-Potter?

If it’s the second I am not sure how we have let Palace beat us to Ebiowei. Also you would think players with potential would need to be brought in earlier to help them integrate - we don’t want another Soumaré situation.

If the first there is a danger the price goes up as teams will see us as desperate.

Surely we should see a signing in the next week?

35 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

I really hope we don't try and offload Soumare this window despite the rumblings.  I know he has looked well off the pace. However, we'll make a huge loss presumably.  He's a young player and he's had one stop start season and perhaps some personal issues which haven't helped.  

The scouting team must have seen something in him.  Rodgers is allegedly an elite coach, so coach the b@stard and let's not write him off just yet.  

Agreed. Instead of throwing money down the drain why not keep the lad and put some faith in him. We still need squad depth don’t we.

It’s very unlikely though. I also can’t see Rodgers playing him in his natural position. Remember when Soumare replaced Tielemans in the Charity Shield and looked decent. Give him game time in that position and we could see a different player.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

With the squad returning for pre-season next week where are we with new signings?

Are we pursuing one or two quality additions and willing to go deep into the window,  trying to negotiate the price as low as possible and get our main target ? Or

Have we missed out on are priority targets and we are moving down the list to get more reasonably priced, achievable targets like Bourigeaud and Lewis-Potter?

If it’s the second I am not sure how we have let Palace beat us to Ebiowei. Also you would think players with potential would need to be brought in earlier to help them integrate - we don’t want another Soumaré situation.

If the first there is a danger the price goes up as teams will see us as desperate.

Surely we should see a signing in the next week?

Over the last five years we have a long list of expensive failed signings. If nobody comes up who will definitely strengthen the squad and is not way too expensive , then so be it. We carry on and improve what we have.

Just unclear what the strategy the Club is pursuing and mindful of problems with bringing in players late.

I would be happy with bringing in targets who will fit in to a formation and improve us as a group and hopefully  we will get one or two of these over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

We need to trim the squad but it's not going to be easy. Being in Europe we needed a bigger squad but what's happened is we've overspent on players who are quite frankly not good enough and we've put them on big money.  Bertrand, Vestergaard and Soumare. They aren't going to be considered for the first team when everyone is fit. I'd also like us to move on Praet, Hamza and Perez but again, we won't get much for them. If we can't move them on permanently then we'll have to loan them. The only signings which could generate a considerable profit would be Soyuncu and Tielemans. If those two players leave then the priority positions have to be RW, CM and CB. 

The players I'd like to see come in are Madueke or Benjamin Bourigeaud. 

For CB Saliba would be perfect. But I'd be pretty happy with someone like Nathan Collins or Levi Colwill 

Tielemans is the one that's tricky to think of a replacement. Houssem Aouar and Sangare are the bees knees but I don't think we'll have the cash for it. A cheaper option would be Sander Berge. Probably not the same passing ability but he's a solid player. We could do with a few brutes in the team to sort out the  set piece issues.

• Like 1