Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Larry_LCFC

Brendan In or Out - Poll

Brendan - In or Out?  

635 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Brendan In or Brendan Out?

• In
    • Out

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

unless we fear the new manager will be taken by another club I don't see the point, this season is a write off

....if a new manager came in now, he would have the advantage of getting to know the players seeing what he has to work with and assessing what he needs in the summer!!!

If you are considering this season to be a write off (I personally am not, there is so much more than we can gain in the league as well as cups) then keeping him here is more a waste that a help to the club.

• Like 1

In.

BUT The recent quotes about peaking and "a club like this" have annoyed me because he sure as hell wasn't talking about over-achieving when we spent two days outside the top 4 in two seasons and won a cup. He may find Top's ambitions for the club don't include any sort of ceiling.

BUT. Puel was sacked for being where we are now. And he wasn't on anything like Rodgers' money.

BUT. The football we're playing now is more Puel-ball than the Rodgers-ball he changed us to in his first couple of seasons. Reminds me of Brian Little, the football he had us playing in 92 was a mile better than what we ended up with in 94.

BUT. As much as Spurs was on the players, today was on the manager. With Perez on the bench there was no need to leave Daka alone up top and he could easily have come on for Lookman instead of Soumare. Just once it'd be nice for him to say "oops, my fault".

Out.

He isn’t learning, his comments show that he isn’t prepared to and he is most likely daydreaming about sipping piña coladas somewhere sandy with a pile of cash. 

Some people are too quick to call for a manager’s head, true, but some of the defences of BR are equally extreme in a way. I wonder what would make his supporters change their mind and if by that time, it would be too late anyway (as we would be headed for relegation loaded with crap players on huge wages). It’s helpful to remember that some people were still in support of Puel even towards the end of his tenure, the atmosphere had turned toxic for the most part but some people believed that he was the man to take us forward, or simply would refuse to call for his head because they were afraid of what the next manager would do. BR coming in showed that, with pretty much the same squad, we could be doing a lot better. 

It’s easy to talk about injuries but at a certain point this is just an excuse. We were obviously good enough to get in front in both of the previous games but lost and drew. Anyone who watched the games could tell that this was down to poor game management and it wouldn’t be the first time. Spurs and Brighton are not that good and the fact that we were merely seconds away from beating the former, even with many players out and having played awfully, just goes to show that we could and perhaps should be closer to them in the table. Additionally, one must question why we are suffering so many injuries under BR? It could just be bad luck or maybe there’s something to the rumours. With regards to mentality, his comments are increasingly annoying and self-serving. It’s his job to motivate these lads - he failed to do so twice for Europe, twice in the run in and now for this entire season. This mixed with his tactical ineptitude, inability to do the basics with defending and game management is costing us. 

Regarding the overachieving, peaked stuff?... Look at the team that started against Brighton. It is absolutely loaded with talent despite being injury ridden. Half of them either have been, or continue to be linked with top sides in Europe. If that’s the case, then we obviously have the kind of team that could walk into a European side and that means that the sum of the team should be challenging for Europe. To say we are over achieving is ridiculous when many of our players are the continual source of transfer speculation and envy of top clubs.

My stance hasn't changed since yesterday. In until the end of the season and by then we will have seen whether we have made any improvement. Unless we can get someone who would be absolutely the right fit for us then I don't see the point in changing the manager before the end of the season unless we are in any danger of going down. It's not as though the situation is completely toxic. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iancognito said:

In.

BUT The recent quotes about peaking and "a club like this" have annoyed me because he sure as hell wasn't talking about over-achieving when we spent two days outside the top 4 in two seasons and won a cup. He may find Top's ambitions for the club don't include any sort of ceiling.

BUT. Puel was sacked for being where we are now. And he wasn't on anything like Rodgers' money.

BUT. The football we're playing now is more Puel-ball than the Rodgers-ball he changed us to in his first couple of seasons. Reminds me of Brian Little, the football he had us playing in 92 was a mile better than what we ended up with in 94.

BUT. As much as Spurs was on the players, today was on the manager. With Perez on the bench there was no need to leave Daka alone up top and he could easily have come on for Lookman instead of Soumare. Just once it'd be nice for him to say "oops, my fault".

I think the big difference is that Puel is that the form was worse and you could see, particularly in that Palace game that the players had given up on him. I don't believe that the players have given up on Rodgers yet. 

In.

I'm judging his whole time for this and I think we've generally punched above our weight for most of his time here, despite some very serious injury problems. However, after two seasons ending in a weak manner then no problems with people being a little worried. There is a bit of a stink that he needs to clear to turn the ship around and he undoubtedly has one of the most talented squads we have ever had. Recent comments from him about us having peaked will also not warm him to fans, who never seem to have taken to him despite his success here.

I don't think the way we play will ever endear him to fans either to be honest. He is very quick to switch into super defensive mode, and although I hate watching it, it has lead to us having two fifth placed finishes. The problem this season is that we just don't have a defence capable of handling 20-30 mins of that level of pressure and so to continue to do it seems a bit bonkers. When we were shipping goals left right and centre he seemed to implement a short-term fix of going a little bit more direct and we looked better for this but we're back to looking rather weak and easy to get it - hopefully Wilf coming back will help this.

Ultimately I think we may as well see how the rest of the season goes and judge from there. I think mid-table is actually the bottom of where this squad should be finishing, and anything in the bottom half would constitute a poor season. But if we finish top half, and not too far away from European places then I think that's probably par for the course. Clubs like Arsenal and Spurs have thrown major money at the issues they had and have made it much much harder for us to challenge for top 6, but that has to be the aim. But there would be the opportunity to go into 22/23 with a stable squad/manager, some notable players back from injury and no European ties to clog up mid-weeks. However, if we see ourselves slip to sort of 15th/16th and don't turn a corner at any point then I wouldn't be surprised to see us part ways in the summer. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Why is this even a thread? Embarrassing that anyone would want him gone. 

Its not embarrassing at all. I can see a lot of the points about keeping him but the ones about getting rid are equally valid.

This isn’t a knee jerk reaction, its been 2 and a half years of consistent capitulation under pressure. FA Cup aside. 

The argument of two 5th place finishes that most people are making don’t wash either. If we were scrapping in and around that position for both seasons then fair enough but in each of the two years we sunk to 5th after throwing away positions that were advantageous to us. Like the 15 point lead we had the first time or the second time we all we had to do was beat a Spurs team that were already on holiday with a semi retired Gareth Bale running rings around us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

No they're not, you'd have to be crazy to sack Rodgers after how well he's done with us and the adversity we've faced this season. We've got a top 6 manager and squad that has been decimated by injuries. It really is that simple. 

It’s not though is it? For example yesterday it was Rodgers who lost us the game by his tactics.

I reckon there are only a few managers who would have got another five points out of us this season. We have had a few good periods but not consistently. Tactics, management, coaching or injuries? Pick your reason. The real reason may well be we are not as good as some think we should be. Maybe we have flattered to deceive. At the moment we are slightly better than average in the PL and even at full strength about seventh or eighth is about right. When you are at the level you are going to lose matches. That is not an unforgivable sin.

Guest Col city fan

Watching Brighton yesterday, it’s clear the excellent job Potter has done at Brighton

Like us, they don’t spend massively but try to buy shrewdly.

And yesterday I think they were without their two usual CB’s (eg Dunk)

But they were easily the better side in the second half. First half was pretty even I thought. They simply seemed to want it more and I felt it was a good job they scored so late… give that game another ten mins or so and they’d have won.

The worrying thing for me was that there was only ever going to be one side to win that game yesterday. They were better organised, quicker, more eager to get the ball and pressed with far more intensiteeeee

Hes created a very good team there imo 

2 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

This season is an aberration due to the amount of injuries we’ve had, added to players missing through COVID and afcon.

I don’t think we’ve named our first choice starting 11 once this season.

Have we started our first choice eleven since Ricardo did his ACL? That's March 2020.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

No they're not, you'd have to be crazy to sack Rodgers after how well he's done with us and the adversity we've faced this season. We've got a top 6 manager and squad that has been decimated by injuries. It really is that simple. 

It's not that simple and the injury problems that have blighted us now for the best part of 2 years are largely on him and his staff too. Just look at his track record at other clubs, him and his staff are the common denominator.

I'd not sack him yet but it does feel like the beginning of the end, he's making weird decisions, talking absolute bollocks and I think nature is running its course. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

It's not that simple and the injury problems that have blighted us now for the best part of 2 years are largely on him and his staff too. Just look at his track record at other clubs, him and his staff are the common denominator.

I'd not sack him yet but it does feel like the beginning of the end, he's making weird decisions, talking absolute bollocks and I think nature is running its course. 

Fofana having his leg snapped, Evans with his long term injury, Richardo getting his leg broken on his return, Jamie Vardy creaking at 35 years old - they’re not really Rodgers fault tbh

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Watching Brighton yesterday, it’s clear the excellent job Potter has done at Brighton

Like us, they don’t spend massively but try to buy shrewdly.

And yesterday I think they were without their two usual CB’s (eg Dunk)

But they were easily the better side in the second half. First half was pretty even I thought. They simply seemed to want it more and I felt it was a good job they scored so late… give that game another ten mins or so and they’d have won.

The worrying thing for me was that there was only ever going to be one side to win that game yesterday. They were better organised, quicker, more eager to get the ball and pressed with far more intensiteeeee

Hes created a very good team there imo 

They were so dull first half and we were comfortably the better team. It mirror'd the game at their place actually as in the home team were the better team in the 1st half and then once ahead retreated and were very fortunate to hold on, sadly we didn't have a 2 goal lead to be able to hold like they did.

I really am not that impressed by them like some make out but he's doing a decent job there, they don't lose many. I really hope he gets a proper striker and goalscoring midfielder because then there'd be no excuses for the Potter fan boys.

Just now, jim5000 said:

Fofana having his leg snapped, Evans with his long term injury, Richardo getting his leg broken on his return, Jamie Vardy creaking at 35 years old - they’re not really Rodgers fault tbh

Evans and Vardy were both made to carry on playing, Vardy twice in a week when injured and they paid the price. Evans grade 4 hamstring tear, brilliant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

If he’s a top 6 manager then why in the past 2 years have neither, Chelsea, Spurs or Man Utd came in for him when they’ve all been looking for new managers? 

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Evans and Vardy were both made to carry on playing, Vardy twice in a week when injured and they paid the price. Evans grade 4 hamstring tear, brilliant. 

Evans came straight off didn’t he?

Think he had also played full 90 in the majority of games in the 2 months prior to the injury, I doubt there was a belief he would pull his hamstring 5 minutes into the game chasing and overstretching for a long ball

But yeah what they did with Vardy was stupid

Edited by moore_94