Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Anyone else just think what's the point anymore lol 

You get someone good, someone will poach them soon enough. you get someone shit, you can't get rid of them.

This isn't fun anymore. 

This caught me by surprise too.

27 minutes ago, ronnup said:

50 million doesn't get you 2 first team acquisitions, it gets you 2 more squad fillers 

It could get one 1st team replacement.

1. Fofana cost us £30m
  2. Tielemans cost us £32m
  3. Justin cost us £8m
  4. Evans cost us £3m
  5. Castagne cost us £21m
  6. Soyuncu cost us £19m
  7. Ricardo cost us £18m
  8. Ndidi cost us £15m
  9. Maddison cost us £25m

I'd consider all of them first team acquisitions, and could can easily mix/match a few of them to get to £50m. You can argue we do our best business in the £20m-£30m range.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 3

So... if we find a great player they get poached ( but for a lot of money) 

...but.... if we buy dross then we cant get rid and the squad gets bloated and the wage bill spirals.  

This shows that we must take much more care in who we bring in.  Puchase in haste....  The idea of a panic cb buy (repeating the vesty lesson) or even a goalie or maddison replacement fills me with dred.

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....first, it is not the same recruiting team in place!!!

Second, Cags problems are all in his head, he has looked a lot more positive in pre-season, he has all the tools he needs to be a top-class CB, and he needs to not be afraid of taking on responsibility.

Third, With the money in our coffers, are you suggesting we pay off their contracts because there are no other ways of guarantying them going out the door?

On the third. If we GENUINELY cannot flog them in some way or another, why are we determined to be so nice and keep them as part of a squad?

What happened to the days where people who hadn't performed and couldn't be sold had to play with the U21's? I'm sick of us being so nicey nice to everyone, every player, every club we deal with. 

My main issue with the transfer is that if we did it now we'd be short on time and it would be well known we just got a wad of cash. Negotiation would be difficult. If we have the transfers lined up then fair enough, but if we're going to be had on value on them all or panic buy like late last season then I'd be worried. I would have been more ok with it if the Kasper and Fofana moves had happened early on - as that would have at least given me confidence that there was a bit of a plan in place whereas now feels like trying to win a poker hand with a pair of twos.

Edited by Number 6

Isn’t it scary and funny how this thread has got to 103 pages without any real changes?

I’m genuinely gutted at the thought of not seeing Little Wes staying but as others have said if we can get £80m+, it only adds to our list of players who have used us as a stepping stone for other upcoming and exciting prospects!

Please, please….recruitment team/Rudders, do not spunk a single £ on any PL dross particularly from the south coast.

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

So many on here trying to talk our best players out of the door. If we start the season badly ,where are they going to put the blame? The blame game is starting early this year but predictably the screaming for Rodgers's head will be centre stage - again. I will be quite happy now for our current squad to give us another season , they are more experienced and easily capable of a decent season.

I think you'll find the forum has no influence and it's the players and or their agents doing the talking. 

Will be gutted if he goes. Great player to watch, head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch at times. Such an absurd aspect of professional football that the best players are hoovered up by 10-12 European clubs and fans from all the other thousands of teams round the world need to be content with being a 'stepping stone'.

Just now, Beechey said:

I reckon we'll accept if we get £80m-£85m.

We’d accept £85m. We must also remember that then brings the fee down to £68m. 

• Like 2

Thinking back to the Sevilla I got in a bottle neck in the East Stand when leaving so was forced to stay for 10 - 15 mins after the game. Wes came out and took a shirt or something across to someone at the bottom of the stand. Now at the time I didn't think too much of it but reflecting on it his whole demeanour and body language looked a little like that was the last time he was going to be on that pitch. 

Did anyone else see this?

Edited by Collymore

1 minute ago, Bert said:

I don’t think we will accept £85 million. It isn’t enough frankly when everything is considered. We should hold out for £100 million. IF they really want him they will pay. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

If Lil Wes goes, Cags will come in and be phenomenal again.

Tellin yoh

I actually dont completely disagree with that- will probably get pelters but when cags had a run of games with evans he was very very decent- up until that bournemouth meltdown which he has never recovered from- anyway I think it would be decent enough- would need a 3rd cb in though for competition even on loan

Just now, ARM1968 said:

I don’t think we will accept £85 million. It isn’t enough frankly when everything is considered. We should hold out for £100 million. IF they really want him they will pay. 

Not that easy or simple when it’s that amount of money along with a players head that’s been turned. 

6 minutes ago, Bert said:

Surely it is 20% of profit rather than 20% of the whole fee to Saint-Etienne? So would be £75m

I don't think you ever see the latter

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bert said:

Does it? I thought it was 20% of the profit- so 50m profit and 10 goes to st etienne- so we clear 75m

1 hour ago, Torten said:

I’d just take the £70m

The unfairness of the Premier League has now become a joke. The top 6 think nothing of spending around £200 million on players they can poach from the likes of LCFC etc. and it simply makes them stronger and the competition eager. Surely it’s time to install some control on transfers and spending, otherwise this uneven playing field will never change. Eventually the £billions of income the PL earns from around the world will start to disappear as the boredom factor will set in and any chance of upsets are completely eliminated. There is no competion anymore unless changes are made.

• Like 1