Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

he’s more than capable and at his best is a very good player.  If there’s a decent defender around for 20m then the combo of evan soy and him (with big dan for emergencies) is fine. 

I personally question if a centre back is ever worth the type of money we are talking about because defending is something that on any day someone like huth can do as well as fofana. Rw on the other hand, something a bit special wins you more games. 

A real shame richards has already gone to place though. I would be very happy if we got all the dosh and a free loan of sarr though 

Virgil Van Dyke would debate that. 

3 minutes ago, Dames said:

This is where the problem will be because Leicester know he’s going to go and Chelsea will end up paying what we want. The issue we’ll have is that the management at Leicester will not start negotiations for another cb until Fofana is out the door and it might be too late.

Not so sure, as I doubt there is much that comes totally out of the blue. I mean the fact we have scouted Colwil suggests we at least have knowledge of youth cb prospects. :dunno:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Agree. Rodgers has got his excuses in early so if we crash and burn he hopes that the media will say its not his fault eg saying in that interview with RL that he felt we needed 3 or 4 players but has to accept the club can't manage that financially. And now this comment about the decision to sell major assets not being his. He did the same at Celtic, claiming the board had not supported him, and used it as an excuse to jump ship to us.

get a grip and back the manager.

• Like 2

Would love him to stay, especially this late into the window / this close to the season starting, and I do think we could possibly get more next summer if he has a good season

But £85m+ (£75m-ish after the sell on clause) from selling just one player is still a crazy amount of money for a club like us when you look at the bigger picture with regards to our financial position/strength, especially if we manage to get all or the majority of it upfront

After just 50 appearances for us we could be about to make £40m+ profit on him which is just mental to think really

IF used properly along with the hope of some others leaving later on it could allow us to make quite an improvement to the strength of our squad between now and the end of the window

The club aren't all of a sudden only just going to start looking for potential new players now either, they will have had lists drawn up of potential targets for ages, yes some will have gone elsewhere (Colwill) but they wont be the only players we have shortlisted as targets

Again, I would much prefer him to stay, but from a financial perspective it could be beneficial for the squads strength overall

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

Guest Kopfkino
7 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Would love him to stay, especially this late into the window / this close to the season starting, and I do think we could possibly get more next summer if he has a good season

But £85m+ (£75m-ish after the sell on clause) from selling just one player is still a crazy amount of money for a club like us when you look at the bigger picture with regards to our financial position/strength, especially if we manage to get all or the majority of it upfront

After just 50 appearances for us we could be about to make £40m+ profit on him which is just mental to think really

IF used properly along with the hope of some others leaving later on it could allow us to make quite an improvement to the strength of our squad between now and the end of the window

The club aren't all of a sudden only just going to start looking for potential new players now either, they will have had lists drawn up of potential targets for ages, yes some will have gone elsewhere (Colwill) but they wont be the only players we have shortlisted as targets

Again, I would much prefer him to stay, but from a financial perspective it could be beneficial for the squads strength overall

And everyone will think we’re desperate and got a wad of cash that they can tap into whilst also not wanting to lose their players at this stage.

Exactly what happened with Maguire so we didn’t end up replacing him. Ofc we got away with it with Soyuncu but we wanted another CB and ended up with Ryan Bennett on loan in Jan because we were being quoted big numbers for people we actually wanted.

I get that 85m is a lot of money but I really think we’d be better off waiting for next year and even taking less (unlikely we’d have to imo) early on in the window

12 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

20% of 85m isnt 10m it’s 17m so 69m 👍🏻

He costs approx 40m so 29m profit in 2 seasons.

His former club likely to make 57m from their deal if the price above is agreed.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

His former club likely to make 57m from their deal if the price above is agreed.

Think this was discussed earlier, it’s 20% of the profit, not the fee

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

It is highly unlikely to be 20% of the whole fee and more likely to be 20% of the profit.

So it would then be £10m, and he cost approximately £35m.

👍🏻

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

And everyone will think we’re desperate and got a wad of cash that they can tap into whilst also not wanting to lose their players at this stage.

Exactly what happened with Maguire so we didn’t end up replacing him. Ofc we got away with it with Soyuncu but we wanted another CB and ended up with Ryan Bennett on loan in Jan because we were being quoted big numbers for people we actually wanted.

I get that 85m is a lot of money but I really think we’d be better off waiting for next year and even taking less (unlikely we’d have to imo) early on in the window

Whether we do it this summer or next summer whatever club we try to buy (not even just centrebacks) from is going to know that we have the Fofana money

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Agree. Rodgers has got his excuses in early so if we crash and burn he hopes that the media will say its not his fault eg saying in that interview with RL that he felt we needed 3 or 4 players but has to accept the club can't manage that financially. And now this comment about the decision to sell major assets not being his. He did the same at Celtic, claiming the board had not supported him, and used it as an excuse to jump ship to us.

To be fair, it's hard to argue the fact and we probably did need 3 or 4 more quality players, it's also not his decision to sell assets. He's said some daft things but I think he is actually in a bit of a Catch 22 here.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I’ll say it again, but it annoys me no end that we are seen as a recruitment shop window for the cartel ‘big 6’ clubs for whom the media for their bidding. I’m ****ing sick of it.

Thats life mate. Theres always a bigger fish in the pond unless youre Barca or Real Madrid

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What’s annoying me is that the media are talking as if we’re a club facing bankruptcy.  We’ve come out and said we need to sell before we can buy, but no one has ever said we have to sell off our assets just to keep going.  The media report it as if we were Bury or Derby, drowning it debt and flogging off all our players dirt cheap to pay the electricity bill ! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Agree we need to have a sense of perspective of who we actually are.

20 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Agree with your reasoning @Kopfkino. I’m sure the club learned its lesson that summer. If, big IF, little Wes is leaving, I’d expect a new CB signing to be secured first.