Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

33 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Would love him to stay, especially this late into the window / this close to the season starting, and I do think we could possibly get more next summer if he has a good season

But £85m+ (£75m-ish after the sell on clause) from selling just one player is still a crazy amount of money for a club like us when you look at the bigger picture with regards to our financial position/strength, especially if we manage to get all or the majority of it upfront

After just 50 appearances for us we could be about to make £40m+ profit on him which is just mental to think really

IF used properly along with the hope of some others leaving later on it could allow us to make quite an improvement to the strength of our squad between now and the end of the window

The club aren't all of a sudden only just going to start looking for potential new players now either, they will have had lists drawn up of potential targets for ages, yes some will have gone elsewhere (Colwill) but they wont be the only players we have shortlisted as targets

Again, I would much prefer him to stay, but from a financial perspective it could be beneficial for the squads strength overall

Clubs would just sell us their own deadwood at inflated prices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Well if what @Chocolate Teapot said is true, then we already have agreements in place

It's normal that we would. Wouldn't know if we actually did but stuff can happen quite quickly when a side has a sizeable budget.

2 minutes ago, Ely fox said:

A lot of disgruntled players can mean a difficult season ahead 🤔 

A lot? Lil Wes maybe but he'll soon get over it. 

If you mean Madders too, I'd imagine he's far from disgruntled. Relieved is probably more appropriate. Newcastle's approach for him was bordering on parody, so far fetched was the idea he'd want to join them

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Qwerty said:

What’s annoying me is that the media are talking as if we’re a club facing bankruptcy.  We’ve come out and said we need to sell before we can buy, but no one has ever said we have to sell off our assets just to keep going.  The media report it as if we were Bury or Derby, drowning it debt and flogging off all our players dirt cheap to pay the electricity bill ! 

This is what is doing my head in. Fans of other clubs have been asking me how come we are in financial difficulty and need to sell players.  Five Live's so called experts were saying last night that we needed to let people go as we were paying the price of chasing and falling to get CL. It's like we're Ridsdale's Leeds. This is all very damaging for the club - it encourages interest in our best players and potentially puts off ambitious players from joining us. We need to somehow change the narrative. Getting Maddison to sign a new, improved deal would help in that regard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

This is what is doing my head in. Fans of other clubs have been asking me how come we are in financial difficulty and need to sell players.  Five Live's so called experts were saying last night that we needed to let people go as we were paying the price of chasing and falling to get CL. It's like we're Ridsdale's Leeds. This is all very damaging for the club - it encourages interest in our best players and potentially puts off ambitious players from joining us. We need to somehow change the narrative. Getting Maddison to sign a new, improved deal would help in that regard. 

Absolutely and whatever your view on recruitment, manager, DoF etc surely nobody can defend the shambolic narrative that the club have allowed to become prevalent.   Rebuild, no rebuild, need to buy to sell, of course it'll have the sharks circling in the water even if the reality within the club is quite different.  It also must unsettle players.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Trelleh said:

Does the sell on fee still apply even though he’s signed a new contract since? Surely the old stipulations are irrelevant now 🤔 could be wrong

I’d imagine so otherwise you’d have players signing a new contract the day after joining to get rid of any clauses

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Who said I'm not backing him? In the same position I would absolutely say the same as him because by doing so he protects his reputation if things go badly this season and he gets the sack.

This guy has said on another thread he is only here to laugh at our entitled fans and troll people.  Probably best not to engage 🙄

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

It is highly unlikely to be 20% of the whole fee and more likely to be 20% of the profit.

So it would then be £10m, and he cost approximately £35m.

👍🏻

Sorry not looked, has there been anything in the press suggesting it’s a percentage of profit from the future fee, I have only seen the article suggesting it’s a sell on percentage fee clause?

On Friday, St Étienne and Leicester City confirmed the transfer of 19-year-old French central defender Wesley Fofana, in a €35m + €5m bonuses deal, which also includes a 20% sell-on percentage fee clause.

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Sorry not looked, has there been anything in the press suggesting it’s a percentage of profit from the future fee, I have only seen the article suggesting it’s a sell on percentage fee clause?

On Friday, St Étienne and Leicester City confirmed the transfer of 19-year-old French central defender Wesley Fofana, in a €35m + €5m bonuses deal, which also includes a 20% sell-on percentage fee clause.

It's standard with sell on fees that it's profit not total fee 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chuck'em said:

It's standard with sell on fees that it's profit not total fee 

Yeah, you'd have to be a bit of a fool to agree otherwise really, imagine selling the player for less than you paid and having to pay a % of that to another club. Would be a bizarre decision. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

It's normal that we would. Wouldn't know if we actually did but stuff can happen quite quickly when a side has a sizeable budget.

Diop & Kokcu or Aouar I reckon. No idea defensively, I think we've genuinely missed out main 3-4 targets.

• Like 1

If they offer 85 then that’s 40 million profit. It would be tempting. I’d probably wait until Brendan’s transfer wizardry and our predilection to injury players leaves us before we use that cash though.

3 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

If they offer 85 then that’s 40 million profit. It would be tempting. I’d probably wait until Brendan’s transfer wizardry and our predilection to injury players leaves us before we use that cash though.

40mil is tempting for probably one of the most promising cb def in football today....

• Like 1