Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

6 hours ago, Bptiger said:

Just thinking that if we sell WES for 75 million , when u take out the 30 odd million we paid for him , then I spent 20-30 million to replace him , what’s the point , yes we clear 10 odd million but we lose a GUN player . Just my thoughts 

So if you buy a house for 300000 and sell it for 600000 when you buy your next house you can only spend 300000?? 

You realise what you've said right? 

If we sell Wes for 75 million and spend 30 million to replace him, then we've still got 45 million to play with :facepalm:

11 hours ago, Simoken said:

40mil is tempting for probably one of the most promising cb def in football today....

I'm pleased someone else has seen that angle. That is, what Fofana is worth to the club. If the question boils down to (effectively) £40m or Fofana then the club may well think he's worth more than that to them. They'll certainly not replace him (this late in the window) for that.

I'm not saying he's the difference but he is a difference to how we get on this season. The club will weigh that up, along with loads of other stuff, before accepting any bid whatever the sum.

Guest Col city fan
Just now, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

How's he not had a kick for France ahead of Kimpembe, Varane and Zouma ffs

Presumably because he’s been out injured for a year and because they are taking their time with him?

Zouma I don’t get.. but Varane has been world class for years (until he joined Utd), Kimpembe plays for PSG (I assume this makes a difference re selection) and there are so many others too.

Upamecano for instance, at Bayern now, is an immense CB. Then there’s Kounde.

Fofana is in a list of many that could make a good argument for inclusion.

Realistically you have to assume there is a price at which he can go and that chelsea, Fofana and his agent know it. I suspect Chelsea will be back with another offer and I suspect soon it will be a take it or leave it offer ( and probably very public ) 

I predict he goes - and we receive in excess of £80mn with decent bonuses and sell on clauses. 

The interview showed he’s ambitious and wants to win trophies if the club doesn’t match that ambition then I can see him moving on sadly. But of course he has been very respectful with regards to the club which is nice to see.

7 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

June was perhaps his first opportunity to be selected and he was when an injury occurred 

5 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Isn't it? So much for Ben Jacobs (and others) claims that little Wes is 'intent' on leaving!

what do you expect the player to say publicly ?

2 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Realistically you have to assume there is a price at which he can go and that chelsea, Fofana and his agent know it. I suspect Chelsea will be back with another offer and I suspect soon it will be a take it or leave it offer ( and probably very public ) 

I predict he goes - and we receive in excess of £80mn with decent bonuses and sell on clauses. 

I sadly agree but doubt you can ask for a record fee and have a sell on clause …

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

June was perhaps his first opportunity to be selected and he was when an injury occurred 

I sadly agree but doubt you can ask for a record fee and have a sell on clause …

He’s Chelsea’s number one target and contracted to us for years

I think the total value of this transfer will surprise you. 

I don’t think some of us realise how much the club value him. For me, I’d be absolutely fuming if we sold him for anything less then £100m… he’s better off waiting, because if he has a good season we could end up with a bidding war come January or the seasons end.  Now is not the time to sell, and I actually think we will remain steadfast. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Presumably because he’s been out injured for a year and because they are taking their time with him?

Zouma I don’t get.. but Varane has been world class for years (until he joined Utd), Kimpembe plays for PSG (I assume this makes a difference re selection) and there are so many others too.

Upamecano for instance, at Bayern now, is an immense CB. Then there’s Kounde.

Fofana is in a list of many that could make a good argument for inclusion.

His form in 20/21 was more than good enough for a cap ahead of known liability Kimpembe, a Varane tribute act and Kurt Zouma who's just a bit bloody average.

I know the others (Upamecano, Kounde et al) are decent hence why I... didn't mention them at all?

2 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I don’t think some of us realise how much the club value him. For me, I’d be absolutely fuming if we sold him for anything less then £100m… he’s better off waiting, because if he has a good season we could end up with a bidding war come January or the seasons end.  Now is not the time to sell, and I actually think we will remain steadfast. 

Depends though doesn’t it. Is that extra £15m more valuable or is getting in a couple of players?

3 hours ago, Phenom said:

Probably but there’s a chance he has a year like Youri just had or worse yet, he suffers a serious injury like he did last season.

There is a chance his form dips if his head is turned but presume he wants to try and get a World Cup place - though he is down the pecking order.

We can’t sell this late and sit on the cash surely - everyone would see us coming and add a premium. If we are to sell to Chelsea we missed a trick with Colwill.  

Edited by JimmyC74

15 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

He’s Chelsea’s number one target and contracted to us for years

I think the total value of this transfer will surprise you. 

They were also interested in gvardiol but Leipzig wouldn’t negotiate 

I wonder if the size of the bids they’re making for wes will bring Leipzig to the table ?

although I think they get that fofana is a generational talent and they want him in their shirt before an auction begins next summer …

23 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Fair point. But I counter with 'he didn't have to say anything publicly, nor be interviewed by the club's mouthpiece of choice'...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JimJams said:

Realistically how far does a bidding war go? 

Boehly seems pretty desperate to make a statement and show he's a player in thePremier League. I'd much rather Wes stayed but if he's not going to then I think we can get a humongous fee as they're we desperate for a CB, want to make a statement but we hold all the cards as Wes has just signed a new long-term contract. Just need to make sure it's not us who blinks first. Genuinely think we can get £100m and trump even the Maguire transfer.

1 minute ago, Steve Earle said:

Fair point. But I counter with 'he didn't have to say anything publicly, nor be interviewed by the club's mouthpiece of choice'...

He’s covering his bases 

if he stays then we think what a great fella - he said lovely things about us 

if he goes then Chelsea fans see what an ambitious player they are buying. 

I don’t buy the excuse people give him for his social media exploits in that ‘he’s just a 21 y o kid’.   He has had his career planned out for years …..

39 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Herein lies part of the problem we face. Those players you mention have all been selected for their country when playing for the 'big' clubs.

Unfortunately players will realise that they have a better chance of being picked for their national team if they are at a bigger club. Callum Hudson-Odoi played for England before he'd made a PL start for Chelsea FFS.

Maddison falls into the same category. He would be straight in the England squad if he was at say Spurs or Man U, etc.

Other examples - Smith-Rowe, White, Sancho, etc.

17 minutes ago, JimJams said:

Realistically how far does a bidding war go? 

It would depend how far Chelsea's new owner is willing to go to flex his muscle

Being American (and me being very stereo typical) he'll probably want to show their financial power, and he'll not want to be shown up by a smaller club in what is his first experience of a tug of war in English football.

If we keep knocking back their bids it'll go one of two ways. If they keep coming back with £5million jumps (60, 65, 70) and we keep knocking them back, then, if the media are to be believed, they'll just lump up the £85 million. If we knock that back then they'll either make a pretty large jump up to £100million to really test our resolve or they'll walk away. 

If Wes goes, I genuinely wouldn't want it to be for anything short of £100million for a few reasons. Firstly, it's £100million, secondly it'll reemphasize the fact they we let players go on our terms (the Teilemans saga has taken a bit away from that) 

We need to dig our heels in with this one. We're not really in a position where we can lose regardless of what the outcome is. If he stays then he'd be a fool to not knuckle down and give his all with the world cup just months away, he's on a lengthy contract so we don't have a Youri type situation on our hands. If he goes, it'll be for a huge fee, granted it's late in the window and not ideal, but I'd like to think we have replacements lined up 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

He’s covering his bases 

if he stays then we think what a great fella - he said lovely things about us 

if he goes then Chelsea fans see what an ambitious player they are buying. 

I don’t buy the excuse people give him for his social media exploits in that ‘he’s just a 21 y o kid’.   He has had his career planned out for years …..

He also covers his bases by not giving an interview