Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

58 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

The desperation to see him leave on here is bordering on hysteria. Post after post of jumping through hoops to think of any or every reason this should happen. If the thinking that this was a way to help the clubs difficult financial position I could sort of understand it. However if the reasoning is we would then have money to spend on some teenage wide man with two left feet I would suggest that is crazy. If he does leave ,we are going to have to spend big to replace him.

Jesus Christ. Nobody on here WANTS to sell him but its possible to see why it may be of benefit. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

I don't think a good chunk of our fanbase has developed mentally at the same rate of the club.

There is a major major inferiority complex in the stands and on the forums which Top, Rodgers, Maddison, Youri, Evans etc simply don't have. They perceive themselves as elite. The chunk of our fans are still submissive, with a self perception of a Norwich/West Brom/Middlesbrough. 

Fortunately I am old enough to know that Leicester City are a major club in England and when they are not in the top ten of the top league , they are underachieving. I'm sure fans of Sheffield Wednesday think the same. Yes its tough to break down the stranglehold of the big money clubs but we should always be in contention.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Fortunately I am old enough to know that Leicester City are a major club in England and when they are not in the top ten of the top league , they are underachieving. I'm sure fans of Sheffield Wednesday think the same. Yes its tough to break down the stranglehold of the big money clubs but we should always be in contention.

Yes , this little old Leicester bollocks started when we won the league to try and make our success sound even more miraculous than it already was. We’ve always been one of the bigger clubs sat outside of the obvious big clubs along with the likes of wolves, west ham etc…

5 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Apart from the financial side , there are no benefits at all.

There is if it enables us to use the finances to shift deadwood and give us funds to improve the overall squad with the addition of 3 or 4 players. We seem to be in a place where over the next couple of windows we need to bring through the next batch of Maddison’s, Fofana’s, Soyuncu’s etc hopefully sprinkled with the odd gem from the academy. This squad is coming to the end of its cycle and with Martyn Glover onboard its clear we will use the next couple of transfer windows to start the next phase of our development 

Edited by Claudio Fannieri

7 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

The entire 1960s we were a major club, along the lines of our level now. Those who didn't know that, read the fictional Shankly book 'red or dead' to get to get ides of how were were perceived 

Almost all.of the 70s, we were a decent upper mid table side. 

The 80s til mid 90s we took a dip, and yo-yod Fulham/Norwich style almost equally (in years spent)  between top and second tier ....but even so, we were a familiar top tier name. 

I think much of our fanbase's formative years were the horrendous mid 2000s and have taken that as our baseline. 

5 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

The entire 1960s we were a major club, along the lines of our level now. Those who didn't know that, read the fictional Shankly book 'red or dead' to get to get ides of how were were perceived 

The 80s til mid 90s we took a dip, and yo-yod Fulham/Norwich style almost equally (in years spent)  between top and second tier ....but even so, we were a familiar top tier name. 

I think much of our fanbase's formative years were the horrendous mid 2000s and have taken that as our baseline. 

I agree and back in the early thirties only Arsenal, who were the best football team in the world, were superior to us. Our history is patchy and if we don't want to go back to that ,we should retain our best players as long as we can.

I've never seen a club as greedy as Leicester City. Scammed Manchester United into paying £80m for Maguire now they want to force us into paying a similar amount for Fofana, a player that is yet to play for the French national team.

What a singularly insular perspective.

8 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

It puts money in the bank and a hole in the team we can't fill - properly.

I agree he's a generational talent but sooner or later he's going to leave, a club like ours is never going to keep these players and we have to accept that. Whether it's in the next 4 weeks or in 12 months time, he won't be here for long. 

Right now, Chelsea are desperate and we can ask for any fee we like to test how far they're willing to go.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to leave, but at this moment in time the ball is in our court

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Early 1960s we were a very good side, yes.

People have false memories of the reality of that Bloomfield side though, because they enjoyed the football. We weren't a regular upper midtable side, we did finish 7th one season, but definitely not for almost all the decade. Otherwise we were just as likely to be in a relegation scrap as being midtable. We certainly weren’t a decent upper midtable side for “almost all of the 70s”, only really for a season or two.

Only periods we’ve ever been regularly in the top quarter of the league are late 1920s, early 1960s and the current era. Those were our 3 greatest sides in terms of league performances.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bovril said:

"Scammed" Man United hahahahahaha

It's funny because it's true

but it isn’t is it?

they came to us with an offer which we accepted.  We didn’t give them anything that they didn’t offer for..

• Like 1