Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

1 hour ago, ronnup said:

How do you know who's lined up?

They don’t know, we are clearly going to have scouted a bunch of players in all positions. But just because we were only linked with the Chelsea lad, people think that’s the extent of our knowledge. 

If we are going to sell I’d rather he goes soon as I don’t want another Vestergaard nonsense, seemingly going to what’s easy to complete as we are panicking. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Either way  with brendan at the wheel, we're in bother

Probably not. But I think the threat of relegation becomes a lot more serious… might sound dramatic, but I can see it having that much of an impact. 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Babylon said:

They don’t know, we are clearly going to have scouted a bunch of players in all positions. But just because we were only linked with the Chelsea lad, people think that’s the extent of our knowledge. 

If we are going to sell I’d rather he goes soon as I don’t want another Vestergaard nonsense, seemingly going to what’s easy to complete as we are panicking. 

Vestergaard showed us that when given a couple weeks to get someone in, unless you’re prepared to spend a decent amount, you’re potentially struggling 

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Vestergaard showed us that when given a couple weeks to get someone in, unless you’re prepared to spend a decent amount, you’re potentially struggling 

We’ll have money to spend and we’ll have to spend it.

46 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Probably not. But I think the threat of relegation becomes a lot more serious… might sound dramatic, but I can see it having that much of an impact. 

I don't think it's that dramatic.  The relationship between the manager and both the players and owners seems to have gone very stale, and there's a general stench around the entire operation that's only getting worse.  Lose a few players to injury or sales without replacements and relegation isn't that outlandish a threat.  I still think we'd probably survive but if the owners let this go on over the size of Rodgers' contract they're taking a terrible risk.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Fofana is the one player in our defence who can pick a pass to start moves off, you notice how bad we are at progressing the ball forwards when he's not there - all that passing around the back line is far more frequent when he's not playing as the other defenders simply can't do what he does.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

The last time I was this bothered about a player leaving was in 2017 with Kante. I always knew he'd leave at some point, but it just seemed too soon and it was very clear that his departure would weaken us. I knew we'd miss Mahrez too (and we still haven't replaced him), but that saga had become so tedious and drawn out that it felt like a relief when he finally went. I was delighted with the money we got for Maguire and wasn't bothered about Chilwell as we had Justin, who I thought would become even better. Drinkwater was a busted flush and we did very well to get £35m for him.

This feels like a Kante situation - it just seems like Fofana is leaving us too soon and it's very obvious that his departure will weaken the team. Which is why I hope we squeeze Chelsea for every last penny we can get from them.

I too am reconiled to it, but also think this is it - Wes is leaving too soon (should he go) as I felt we had another year, and he is very much on the rise, but we will relent usually when the madness offers start to turn up, such is our model, our requirement   :(

13 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't think it's that dramatic.  The relationship between the manager and both the players and owners seems to have gone very stale, and there's a general stench around the entire operation that's only getting worse.  Lose a few players to injury or sales without replacements and relegation isn't that outlandish a threat.  I still think we'd probably survive but if they owners let this go on over the size of Rodgers' contract they're taking a terrible risk.

Says who?

Even if we lose players to injuries, like we did all of last season, we'll still be good enough to finish above at least the three promoted teams and then the likes of Southampton. People seem to forget how bad other teams are too. We played all of last season without key players consistently and still finished top 10.

Rodgers has never had us finish below 9th in the league so I'll take my chances and say I think we'll be alright.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LCFCABC said:

Would be nice to be able to get Connor Gallagher as part of the deal. 

Replacement for Wes obvs very difficult so I’d try to get the most out of Chelsea in terms of fringe players 

Im actually with you on this- Gallagher or loftus cheek would be decent replacements for Tielemans - obviously prefer Gallagher- plan one step ahead- Hudson odoi would do a job for a season on one of the wings- I wouldnt even rule out taking Ampadu as a back up centre half and also Kennedy could do a job on the wing- If they are going to stump up the money and Wes is going I see no reason why we couldnt at least try to do what Brighton did with colwill and the cucurella deal- would make some sense

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LCFCABC said:

Would be nice to be able to get Connor Gallagher as part of the deal. 

Replacement for Wes obvs very difficult so I’d try to get the most out of Chelsea in terms of fringe players 

If we got Gallagher as part of the deal and were able to sign a high quality centre-half and a right winger with the rest of the money, I'd probably get over Fofana's departure.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

if he does go, I think we will be in serious bother. 

Only because even if we got a world record fee we would still be too skint to replace him properly. 

Mings on loan at best. 

1 minute ago, Foxmeister said:

I think players plus cash would be the way to go, we could mitigate the 20% sell on to St.Etienne too.

But any player coming the other way (extremely rare in the real world anyway) would be on bigger wages than we would want to pay them, so if anything it would make our wage situation worse?

We need to get back to picking up tidy players from aboard for reasonable fees and small wages. Whether the club can do that 6/7 years after we were picking up the likes of Mahrez and Kante for pennies remains to be seen.

• Like 2

Fofana - quick, athletic. Tick

Age. Tick

Likes to go forward (is that a good thing?) Tick

Gets out of position. Tick

Backs to the wall, dogged brick wall. Unsure.

Maguire liked to go wandering.

Centre of defence is all about partnerships for me.

Huth and Morgan. Outstanding and nowhere near 80million. Can't really understand 70 to 80 million for defenders. I guess Van Dijk got everyone excited about improving Liverpool.

We have to sell Fofana and or YT in my opinion to have a refresh by BR (!)or someone else.

5 minutes ago, Rossiter said:

Fofana - quick, athletic. Tick

Age. Tick

Likes to go forward (is that a good thing?) Tick

Gets out of position. Tick

Backs to the wall, dogged brick wall. Unsure.

Maguire liked to go wandering.

Centre of defence is all about partnerships for me.

Huth and Morgan. Outstanding and nowhere near 80million. Can't really understand 70 to 80 million for defenders. I guess Van Dijk got everyone excited about improving Liverpool.

We have to sell Fofana and or YT in my opinion to have a refresh by BR (!)or someone else.

brave using 'refresh' and 'BR' in a same post, the horde will soon jump on you for that.

21 minutes ago, Dames said:

Only because even if we got a world record fee we would still be too skint to replace him properly. 

Mings on loan at best. 

Now that’s just a daft comment….. if we sold him for £85m we wouldn’t be skint….

• Like 1

Just now, Pliskin said:

Now that’s just a daft comment….. if we sold him for £85m we wouldn’t be skint….

You're a lot more optimistic than I. There seems a real reluctance from the club this summer to make any financial commitments. Even if we got 85m a % would have to go to St Etienne and then would there be enough in the pot to get a replacement along with the wages they would want? Considering wages are a problem and we've already shifted 130k a week and not been able to get anyone in I'm not so sure. I really can see the club playing it safe and hoping to get through to next summer. 

36 minutes ago, Dames said:

Mings on loan at best. 

If we were skint we would have sold Soumare as soon as they offer us half decent money, same with Praet. 

Both dispensable and we could have saved 100k a week wages and banked 20m 

The is a difference between being skint and being careful.

• Like 2