Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't think it's that dramatic.  The relationship between the manager and both the players and owners seems to have gone very stale, and there's a general stench around the entire operation that's only getting worse.  Lose a few players to injury or sales without replacements and relegation isn't that outlandish a threat.  I still think we'd probably survive but if the owners let this go on over the size of Rodgers' contract they're taking a terrible risk.

Based on what exactly? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Foxmeister said:

I think players plus cash would be the way to go, we could mitigate the 20% sell on to St.Etienne too.

Just now, foxinsocks said:

why? - I would expect them to value any incoming play as cash.

Yep - there is a mechanism set up to value any part exchanges 

we could end up paying more !!

• Sad 1

Whilst Fofana is excellent, and possibly will be one of the best in a few years, we can't turn down £85m-£95m. With that, we could replace him, and get 2/3 other players in - provided we can shift some currently on our books. If we can't shift anyone, which would mean we couldn't replace him/sign any new players, he definitely shouldn't go.

I do get the feeling it's all going to be a bit panicky though.

Edited by Beechey

27 minutes ago, Simoken said:

brave using 'refresh' and 'BR' in a same post, the horde will soon jump on you for that.

Err i think you'll find he clearly stated after the forest game we 'needed a little bit of a reconnection between the players and the culture of the club' 

its on you if you misinterpreted that !! 

4 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Whilst Fofana is excellent, and possibly will be one of the best in a few years, we can't turn down £85m-£95m. With that, we could replace him, and get 2/3 other players in - provided we can shift some currently on our books. If we can't shift anyone, which would mean we couldn't replace him/sign any new players, he definitely shouldn't go.

I do get the feeling it's all going to be a bit panicky though.

Agreed ,that word panic worries me .

8 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

If we were skint we would have sold Soumare as soon as they offer us half decent money, same with Praet. 

Both dispensable and we could have saved 100k a week wages and banked 20m 

The is a difference between being skint and being careful.

Feels to me that we are trying to squeeze every last pound. 

We've saved 130k pw on wages already and haven't signed a soul or even been realistically linked with anyone. If it were truly wages that were the issue we'd have surely been able to get our top target in by now with the savings from Kasper departing?

• Like 1

Regardless of the fee and previous posters have mentioned this, we’re seriously in the mire when this happens. Given where we’re at in the window we’ll no doubt have to spend a ridiculously bloated fee on a centre half who almost certainly won’t be anywhere near the level of Fofana. 

7 minutes ago, Dames said:

We've saved 130k pw on wages already and haven't signed a soul or even been realistically linked with anyone. If it were truly wages that were the issue we'd have surely been able to get our top target in by now with the savings from Kasper departing?

Problem is we need to be below 90% of wages to revenue by next year, in the 2019-20 accounts we were at about 105%. The accounts are a bit iffy as it was during the height of covid, but we're still feeling the effects. Expected to post a £90m loss this year. In the 2020-21 accounts, it showed we spend about £187m per year on wages, which is still more often than not >100% of our revenue.

With the signings we made last year, we're probably still quite a way above the 90% threshold.

Edited by Beechey

1 minute ago, Beechey said:

Problem is we need to be below 90% of wages to revenue by next year, in the 2019-20 accounts we were at about 105%. The accounts are a bit iffy as it was during the height of covid, but we're still feeling the effects. Expected to post a £90m loss this year. With the signings we made last year, we're probably still quite a way above the 90% threshold.

So in laymans terms we're skint? 

1 minute ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Regardless of the fee and previous posters have mentioned this, we’re seriously in the mire when this happens. Given where we’re at in the window we’ll no doubt have to spend a ridiculously bloated fee on a centre half who almost certainly won’t be anywhere near the level of Fofana. 

Top knows that , Rodgers knows that . This smacks of little planning and is entirely the wrong time. Any offer should be rejected , potential damage is too great. I fear a chain reaction. If things stabilise and we have a potential , Achievable replacement next summer then so be it.

4 minutes ago, Dames said:

Which isn't always a bad thing, we have been too loose with money in the last 24 months

I still think there could be some movement in and out, I still expect teams to make moves in the next 3 weeks.

The issue with having the window open 4 weeks into the season is some teams will be waiting to see how they start. 

I would bet my last pound that if we lose to Arsenal, Chelsea and Southampton, we sign a couple of players 

• Like 1

Just now, An Sionnach said:

Top knows that , Rodgers knows that . This smacks of little planning and is entirely the wrong time. Any offer should be rejected , potential damage is too great. I fear a chain reaction. If things stabilise and we have a potential , Achievable replacement next summer then so be it.

The only problem is I’m of the mind that if a player wants a move, you make it happen as quickly as possible. You’re either committed 100% or not at all. 

7 minutes ago, Dames said:

So in laymans terms we're skint? 

Only in wages, FFP is being revised - the revision was only announced in March (I think?), which I'm guessing is this financial revelation Rodgers talks about. It will now include salary caps as a percentage of club revenue:

• 2023: 90%
  • 2024: 80%
  • 2025 and onwards: 70%

So either we need to shrink our wage budget or grow revenue. We can drastically grow that revenue by selling Fofana. We were probably comfortably above 100% before Schmeichel left.

Edited by Beechey

Just now, kingkisnorbo said:

The only problem is I’m of the mind that if a player wants a move, you make it happen as quickly as possible. You’re either committed 100% or not at all. 

That sounds like a recipe for allowing your best players to go on the cheap while significantly weakening yourself in the process.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Only in wages, FFP is being revised - the revision was only announced in March (I think?), which I'm guessing is this financial revelation Rodgers talks about. It will now include salary caps as a percentage of club revenue:

So either we need to shrink our wage budget or grow revenue. We were probably comfortably above 100% before Schmeichel left.

We need to do both. 

2 minutes ago, Beechey said:

• 2023-24: 90%
  • 2024-25: 80%
  • 2025-26: 70%

So either we need to shrink our wage budget or grow revenue.

Sounds like we are planning for the future now, to avoid a major problems later. I wonder if other clubs are planning in the same way?

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We need to do both. 

We do, I agree. It's difficult to decipher how we're doing while the accounts are continually affected by Covid though. Generally we generate about £180m per year, which is fine, but we need to be aiming higher. I think the expansion, including hotel, indoor arena etc would really help. Maybe at some point we will sell the stadium naming rights again which might generate an additional £5m to £10m per year.

Edited by Beechey

12 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Which isn't always a bad thing, we have been too loose with money in the last 24 months

I still think there could be some movement in and out, I still expect teams to make moves in the next 3 weeks.

The issue with having the window open 4 weeks into the season is some teams will be waiting to see how they start. 

I would bet my last pound that if we lose to Arsenal, Chelsea and Southampton, we sign a couple of players 

No its not a bad thing but its not something we've been overly hot on in the past so the shift always makes you think.

11 minutes ago, Beechey said:

So either we need to shrink our wage budget or grow revenue. We were probably comfortably above 100% before Schmeichel left.

So it looks like we might be in for a tough couple of years but if we can avoid relegation it might set us up better in the long run. I imagine many other clubs are ignoring this and are hoping/betting on the rules being changed.

7 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Think we'll accept 80m + CHO on loan with them covering the wages. 

Barnes on the bench then. CHO would not come without getting starts wide left. Why should Chelsea cover any of his pay.

5 minutes ago, Dames said:

No its not a bad thing but its not something we've been overly hot on in the past so the shift always makes you think.

So it looks like we might be in for a tough couple of years but if we can avoid relegation it might set us up better in the long run. I imagine many other clubs are ignoring this and are hoping/betting on the rules being changed.

Well we have loads of contracts expire next season, for a total of about £700k/week. About £35m-£40m per year, something in that range (add on top appearance fees etc). Would mostly solve our wage issues even if we didn't sell anyone this year. I suspect Vardy and Evans will get extensions though. It might only be difficult for one year.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 2

Just now, Beechey said:

Well we have loads of contracts expire next season, for a total of about £700k/week. About £35m-£40m per year, something in that range. Would mostly solve our wage issues even if we didn't sell anyone this year.

Whats that as a % of total player wages?