Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

It seems we were completely taken aback by UEFA's announcement of its new FFP rules in April. That has left us in a position where we need to sharply bring down our wages-to-turnover revenue over the next few years. The club hoped to do that by getting rid of our higher-earning fringe players rather than any of our star players, but this is proving difficult because nobody else will pay them the bloated wages they're on with us, and the players themselves are reluctant to take pay cuts.

Schmeichel's departure will have eased the pressure on the wage bill side, especially if we decide to stick with Ward/Iversen rather than recruit a new keeper. If the likes of Tielemens and Soumare go, that will also substantially ease the wage bill issue, but of course we'll need at least one new midfielder to replace them. Selling Fofana for £85m+ will boost revenue, which will also help with FFP. But we really, really need to get rid of the higher-earning fringe players if we want to free up money to attract new talent - and that remains a major challenge...

It’s not just the wages. They’re genuinely quite shite and nobody wants to even discuss them much. 

Guest nathan.
6 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

How about the get Fofana and we get Gallagher and Sarr perm and Odoi on loan...

Our squad is bloated and the wage bill is maxed out. Deals like this will not happen I’m afraid. 

Guest Col city fan
6 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

How about the get Fofana and we get Gallagher and Sarr perm and Odoi on loan...

Gallagher I’d like.

Sarr is rubbish and Hudson-Odoi’s wages would wreck us.

Odoi is one of those very average players who is being paid a disgusting amount of money simply because he’s at Chelsea. He’ll end up at Watford or somewhere imo.

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd be shocked if we wouldn't sell him at £85m. We're at a complete standstill in incomings and outgoings and got a massive imbalance in certain areas of our squad and I cannot believe the board and Top think that's not an issue that must be corrected this summer, as opposed to next. Likewise if its more they no longer trust Brendan but don't have the money to pay him off then again you'd want the financial flexibility to be able to do so in the short to medium term.

In all my years as a fan, this summer and our conflicting actions are stranger than anything I've witnessed. Can somebody please make sense of it? Top claimed he was confident we'd get some signings in this month still, but based on what scenario? He said that at a point where he must have been informed that we are getting either lowball bids for players we want rid of and aren't prepared to accept them for some reason or we aren't getting any bids for the players we expected such as Tielemans and Soyuncu, so surely you'd be even more conservative about what's to happen this window than previously planned at the end of last season? Our heads are up our arseholes.

It seems obvious the club is willing to write off this season for a much better situation next summer: Both for the club and King Power as the tourism industry recovers. I think both Brendan and Top didn't expect no one to come in for certain players, mainly Tielemans and Soyuncu. Add in Torino not buying Praet, Perez not being able to secure a move to Spain, Hamza (homegrown and serves a role) getting no bites. It has been a perfect storm for the books.

However, yeah, a huge profit on Fofana could ease many different wheels: We might be willing to take less favorable deals on the deadwood, and be able to bring in a few players. 

What makes the Fofana situation interesting is that Chelsea seems to almost have staked its reputation on getting it over the line, and they also have players that theoretically could fill gaps we need, so if those players are willing to come to us, we could come out ahead without then having to dip into the rest of the market with inflated prices. However, my guess -- and pure guess here -- is that they won't want Fofana playing against us at Stamford Bridge, so it won't be finalized before then.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

What is Little Wes on? £80k a week? If he goes then there is the transfer fee but in terms of wages, you'd hope we'd bring in another player capable of playing in the PL so that's surely at least £50k pw - thus from an FFP* point of view we're only saving £30k a week and will have a significantly weaker squad. Is that really worth it? Surely we're not going to rely on an aging Evans, an out-of-favour Cags and Big Dan? That actually could see us fighting to stay up if Evans cops a bad injury.

Having to sacrifice (not literally) the best young defender on the planet because we can't shift the likes of Bertrand, Vesty or Hamza is absolutely galling but a problem entirely of the club's making. £200k a week were spunking on those 3 wasters.

*Words can't express how much I hate the concept of FFP, to use the word 'fair' in there is an insult. Genuinely believe it's a nail in the coffin for the ambitions of a club like ours and it's wrong. The game is so heavily in favour of the 'big clubs now', let them **** off and start their super league imho.

Honestly starting to agree now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fazzyfox said:

A guy on the Sky Sports roundup just now, re Fofana said something like “and Leicester haven’t signed anyone yet, I don’t know if they have a problem with finding the funds”. 
FFS, you have a job to do, there are only 20 clubs in the league to research on but no, constant big 6, Newcastle and West Ham bias, zero knowledge of any of the others.

Also the other guys didn’t step in and say “actually it’s more to do with the salaries vs income figures”. 
Just pig-headed single minded attitude to slobber over the prospect of the top 6 clubs getting more and more bloated and thinning the spread of top class players in the league.

Go away, do some research, 30 seconds would give you the true answer rather than turn up for a live tv broadcast saying “I don’t know”. Really it comes across as “I don’t care”, which as we know is true.

They are not allowed to provide the required breadth of coverage for those outside the big 6 + 2/3 current darlings - they have to ensure focus is on the money audience

4 minutes ago, Philkeavo said:

Does anyone have any information on how FFP has affected Leicester. BR speaks of financial constraints, others  have said it is mainly due to FFP, but does anyone actually know or have data to prove it?

Our wages-to-revenue are apparently 105%, higher than any other club than Bournemouth - and well above most of the 'big six'.

This video explains it quite well:

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Our wages-to-revenue are apparently 105%, higher than any other club than Bournemouth - and well above most of the 'big six'.

This video explains it quite well:

HITC Sevens is a generally very good source of footballing information, very well sourced and curated. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tielemans63 said:

What is Little Wes on? £80k a week? If he goes then there is the transfer fee but in terms of wages, you'd hope we'd bring in another player capable of playing in the PL so that's surely at least £50k pw - thus from an FFP* point of view we're only saving £30k a week and will have a significantly weaker squad. Is that really worth it? Surely we're not going to rely on an aging Evans, an out-of-favour Cags and Big Dan? That actually could see us fighting to stay up if Evans cops a bad injury.

Having to sacrifice (not literally) the best young defender on the planet because we can't shift the likes of Bertrand, Vesty or Hamza is absolutely galling but a problem entirely of the club's making. £200k a week were spunking on those 3 wasters.

*Words can't express how much I hate the concept of FFP, to use the word 'fair' in there is an insult. Genuinely believe it's a nail in the coffin for the ambitions of a club like ours and it's wrong. The game is so heavily in favour of the 'big clubs now', let them **** off and start their super league imho.

Exactly how I feel.

Buying three players at £25m + each for the Fofana sale sounds nore acceptable on paper but in reality it will be more likely that we'll buy 2 players on less than £40k a week each who simply wont be premier league standard.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

We need to save about hakf that gor next season.  So get rid of 6... hire 3!

Alternatively, if we sell Fofana for massive money, that greatly increases revenue, which would solve our wage to revenue problem for this season at least.

It's a shame this might be happening so late in the window, if it was a month ago, we'd be in a really good position to strengthen.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1