Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

8 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Impossible to say, injuries loss of form etc. I would say he is more likely to decrease in value due to the current financial climate and the fact that it would be a world record for a defender.

Look at Cags was in the Premier league team of the season 19/20 looked every inch a 50 million player now we are struggling to sell for 15. Same with Ricardo before his injury he was for my mind one of the best full backs in the league and In my opinion he was another 50 plus million player a couple of years later he's practically worthless. Youri another one if you had told me after the FA cup that in a years time there would be no takers even for a relatively little as 20 million I would have been shocked. 

A club like ours can only really be competive if we follow the model of buying young talent cheap and selling it high. And you don't get much higher than the world record in his position. The club should accept 85 million in my opinion and carry on investing in top young talent. 

It's not a model - that implies it's deliberate, a strategy. But it isn't. Kante, Mahrez, Chilwell and Maguire were all sold because they forced their moves. If any of them had been happy to stay, the club would not have forced them out in order to cash in. Likewise the club really does not want to sell Fofana or Maddison now. If we have a desired 'model', it's to keep hold of our best players, compete at a higher level and generate enough revenue through success to continue competing at that level. The reason we've defaulted to selling some of our best players is because they've wanted to leave - it's never been part of an overarching plan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It's not a model - that implies it's deliberate, a strategy. But it isn't. Kante, Mahrez, Chilwell and Maguire were all sold because they forced their moves. If any of them had been happy to stay, the club would not have forced them out in order to cash in. Likewise the club really does not want to sell Fofana or Maddison now. If we have a desired 'model', it's to keep hold of our best players, compete at a higher level and generate enough revenue through success to continue competing at that level. The reason we've defaulted to selling some of our best players is because they've wanted to leave - it's never been part of an overarching plan.

It's also in the clubs interest to seem like they don't want to sell their biggest assets because that's how a negotiation works. but if you look at it as a whole we have sold a prized asset every summer since we won the league the exception being last summer and that seems to have contributed to a hole in our finances (along with covid etc). So it's difficult not to see something as a long term strategy if we keep doing and have done it for years. 

Can you ever remember us turning down a major attempt from a big club to  land one of our  star players? I can't. maybe Maguire the summer before he actually and definitely Roma with mahrez but they were outright taking the piss. 

22 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I’ve always thought yanik would make a good target man …..

Theyll still have Demari for that :)

8 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

He’s 31 and currently consistently injured.

Fixed it for you

Yes it is late in the window, however the club will have a list of potential replacements / key targets for all positions just in case we lose a player due to transfer or serious injury. We will be tracking lots of players including centre halves, it is just whether one or two of our top targets are available at a price the club are prepared to pay. 

I think it is far more likely we will end up doing a deal with Chelsea that sees us getting a whopping fee but with a couple of very good loanees coming at minimal cost to us for a year, as mentioned by the peoples hero earlier in the thread. 

Unfortunately I think we will lose Fofana by the end of the window, but hopefully we can use this as an opportunity to strengthen the squad, relieve some pressure in helping subsidise getting rid of the deadwood and give us some financial clout for the next couple of transfer windows and the chance for Glover to prove his worth as Head of Recruitment 

12 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Yes it is late in the window, however the club will have a list of potential replacements / key targets for all positions just in case we lose a player due to transfer or serious injury. We will be tracking lots of players including centre halves, it is just whether one or two of our top targets are available at a price the club are prepared to pay. 

I think it is far more likely we will end up doing a deal with Chelsea that sees us getting a whopping fee but with a couple of very good loanees coming at minimal cost to us for a year, as mentioned by the peoples hero earlier in the thread. 

Unfortunately I think we will lose Fofana by the end of the window, but hopefully we can use this as an opportunity to strengthen the squad, relieve some pressure in helping subsidise getting rid of the deadwood and give us some financial clout for the next couple of transfer windows and the chance for Glover to prove his worth as Head of Recruitment 

Doesn't matter who you buy now or when Glover when he arrives if Rodgers refuses to play them like Under or out of position like a number of our players. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

And yet without selling these players we never have the financial muscle to improve our squad significantly. We wait until they ask to leave rather than what's economically best for our squad development but given we need to buy low and sell high to compete I think we need to get a bit more shredder in this regard.

• Like 2

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

And yet without selling these players we never have the financial muscle to improve our squad significantly. We wait until they ask to leave rather than what's economically best for our squad development but given we need to buy low and sell high to compete I think we need to get a bit more shredder in this regard.

Holding put for high fees is ridiculous at this point. What's three million euros for soumare gonna do?

21 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

The later we go into the window needing to replace Wes the more risk of making a mistake like with Vestergaard last year.

if we need the cash from Wes before we can buy then maybe we should target a cash plus player deal like Chalobah & 1 other (Gallagher/CHO). 

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Which is why we need to refuse to sell Fofana at this stage. 

We haven’t prepared to lose him yet, and if we do buckle and sell him then we will be going into the season with Cags, Amartey and Vesty to accompany Evans. That is a defence fit for relegation. 

We don’t have the time to properly replace Wes. What people have got to remember is this, if we get £80+ million for Wes, other clubs will see this. For arguments sake we go for Lacroix, he will all of a sudden be worth about £50-£60m and the club will flat refuse to pay this.

Selling Wes now will do nothing but damage the club. It would be stupid to buckle so easily. There are two players we simply can’t afford to lose this late in the window, Wes and Maddison. I’m 100% sure if we did, we wouldn’t replace either of them. Then it’s poo poo time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

We don’t have the time to properly replace Wes. What people have got to remember is this, if we get £80+ million for Wes, other clubs will see this. For arguments sake we go for Lacroix, he will all of a sudden be worth about £50-£60m and the club will flat refuse to pay this.

Won't that be equally true whenever we sell him?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Holding put for high fees is ridiculous at this point. What's three million euros for soumare gonna do?

Although I am of the same opinion, it is not our money, and if it was we would all act probably in the same way.

30 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Which is why we need to refuse to sell Fofana at this stage. 

We haven’t prepared to lose him yet, and if we do buckle and sell him then we will be going into the season with Cags, Amartey and Vesty to accompany Evans. That is a defence fit for relegation. 

Selling Wes now will do nothing but damage the club. It would be stupid to buckle so easily. There are two players we simply can’t afford to lose this late in the window, Wes and Maddison. I’m 100% sure if we did, we wouldn’t replace either of them. Then it’s poo poo time.

Frankfurt need to sell N'Dicka and for as low as £15-20m. Secure the deal in the next day or two and then do a deal with Chelsea. If he wants to go then fcuk him.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Frankfurt need to sell N'Dicka and for as low as £15-20m. Secure the deal in the next day or two and then do a deal with Chelsea. If he wants to go then fcuk him.

After vestergaard the club will only buy someone out of the little red book approved by the scouting dept (without congerton’s grubby fingers on it) 

prepare for a bednarek type signing ……

whilst there are two weeks left in the window, we will have been looking at CB’s all summer and hopefully have some deals in principle’ lined up.  The question is whether the selling club and rest of the chain is intact and ready to go when we trigger our purchase. 

42 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

That’s how top (and vichai before him) roll.  Clearly a business strategy which has served them well over decades. Of course it usually makes sense …….. but the current situation isn’t normal because of the uefa ffp sh1tshow 

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

After vestergaard the club will only buy someone out of the little red book approved by the scouting dept (without congerton’s grubby fingers on it) 

whilst there are two weeks left in the window, we will have been looking at CB’s all summer and hopefully have some deals in principle’ lined up.  The question is whether the selling club and rest of the chain is intact and ready to go when we trigger our purchase. 

Pretty sure we have scouted N'Dicka in the past...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Any list we had of replacements went weeks ago. You don't get quality players at this stage of the transfer window I'm afraid. The big problem is if we sell him the money will be spent on panic buys like last year and we all know how that played out.

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Surely if the club are going to revert to the little red book approved by the scouting dept and without Congertons grubby mitts on it, then it’s more likely to be someone like Ndicka rather than a Bednarek type, who screams another Vestergard? 

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Pretty sure we have scouted N'Dicka in the past...

4 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

Surely if the club are going to revert to the little red book approved by the scouting dept and without Congertons grubby mitts on it, then it’s more likely to be someone like Ndicka rather than a Bednarek type, who screams another Vestergard? 

I’ll sleep easy then ……..