Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

9 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Really?  Plenty I know rate Fofana massively and would love to have him at their club. 

The Chelsea fan I work with thinks he should be their priority over anyone else to get in now the other chap has gone to Barcelona. He seems happy to go to £80m for him.  I think we would price him higher than that.

I’m not saying they wouldn’t want him at their club - they just don’t think he’s worth more than £50m 

and Chelsea fans just want them to sign a CB ….. vesty would be good in their deep lying three …….

34 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I'll pipe down when you pipe down.  I replied to you as you irked me with your yet again condescending attitude to anyone who disagrees with you.

Again I will ask you, how much do you think he is worth?

To who? You could say he's worth £200m to Leicester but you aren't getting it in a million years, so what's the point. If you want to talk about what you'd realistically get for him at the moment, then I've already pointed you in the right direction as to what someone is likely to pay at max. 

Just now, st albans fox said:

I’m not saying they wouldn’t want him at their club - they just don’t think he’s worth more than £50m 

and Chelsea fans just want them to sign a CB ….. vesty would be good in their deep lying three …….

I just mentioned Vesty to him.  He does not seem so enthusiastic about him. :(

Just now, Babylon said:

To who? You could say he's worth £200m to Leicester but you aren't getting it in a million years, so what's the point. If you want to talk about what you'd realistically get for him at the moment, then I've already pointed you in the right direction as to what someone is likely to pay at max. 

To you.  How much do you think he is worth?  It is not a difficult question.  Do you think he is worth £50m? Then say so.

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Even £50 million would probably be a record fee for a 21 y.o. CB. Chelsea need a cheaper option, Soyuncu maybe?

7 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

To you.  How much do you think he is worth?  It is not a difficult question.  Do you think he is worth £50m? Then say so.

To a European club £45-£60m

To a Premier League club £55-£75m

What would we want £70-£85m

The value depends on a huge amount, when they bid, who is available to replace him, what the current contract stipulates in terms of sell ons, the will of the player and his agent, our current need for money and how desperate we are. One or a number of them could swing a value substantially. 

Potential future value after a standout, injury free season add another £10-15m onto the figures above.

• Like 1

People seem to be comparing Fofanas fee to Maguire and White. Sure he’s a better player but the comparison isn’t a good one. Fofana isn’t English (or to be more accurate home grown at an English club) so he’s not worth as much to an English club because of home grown quotas. English players have a premium because there are too few of enough quality to play for 6 of the biggest teams in the world so they’ll pay a lot more for one when they come up.

70 million for a CB would be almost unprecedented for a non English trained player. Only ones that come to mind are Van Dijk and Hernandez. 

Just now, Babylon said:

To a European club £45-£60m

To a Premier League club £55-£75m

What would we want £70-£85m

The value depends on a huge amount, when they bid, who is available to replace him, what the current contract stipulates in terms of sell ons, the will of the player and his agent, our current need for money and how desperate we are. One or a number of them could swing a value substantially. 

Potential future value after a standout, injury free season add another £10-15m onto the figures above.

There we go.  I reckon you are probably £10-15m short of what we would quote. Certainly not too far away from the figure you were deriding of £100m.

• Like 1

Just now, peach0000 said:

People seem to be comparing Fofanas fee to Maguire and White. Sure he’s a better player but the comparison isn’t a good one. Fofana isn’t English (or to be more accurate home grown at an English club) so he’s not worth as much to an English club because of home grown quotas. English players have a premium because there are too few of enough quality to play for 6 of the biggest teams in the world so they’ll pay a lot more for one when they come up.

70 million for a CB would be almost unprecedented for a non English trained player. Only ones that come to mind are Van Dijk and Hernandez. 

I think you are wrong.  Special players command special fees no matter where they are born.

25 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I think you are wrong.  Special players command special fees no matter where they are born.

Of course they do but in general premier league clubs especially those at the top end will spend more on a home grown player. 70 million is a special fee for a CB from anywhere. My only point was that it’s a little misleading for people to compare it to some of the English players fees. A better comparison would be a player like Van Dijk then suddenly 70 million doesn’t seem bad 

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 1

Chelsea will get this done if they want it. Last time they got desperate they spent 80m on an average keeper. 

It’s going to hurt like hell, but I don’t think the club will risk missing another pay day.

He’s going to want the move and we are running low on sellable assets.  

All this speculation Fofana to Chelsea, Barnes to Newcastle, Madders to Spurs, Schmeichel to Nice would all stop if Rodgers simply came out and said, actually with no transfers in and a few going out we've still got a half decent team so why am I bothered? By us not signing anyone and seemingly trying to tout out our dead wood that clearly nobody wants puts us in a really bad position so other teams will clearly try to capitalise on that. The tabloids are clearly going to have a field day fuelled by agents trying to make themselves money at our expense

Edited by Bucks fox

2 minutes ago, Bucks fox said:

All this speculation Fofana to Chelsea, Barnes to Newcastle, Madders to Spurs, Schmeichel to Nice would all stop if Rodgers simply came out and said, actually with no transfers in and a few going out we've still got a half decent team so why am I bothered? By us not signing anyone and seemingly trying to tout out our dead wood that clearly nobody wants puts us in a really bad position so other teams will clearly try to capitalise on that. The tabloids are clearly going to have a field day fuelled by agents trying to make themselves money at our expense

haha, any excuse to blame Rodgers, i swear if you stood on a butterfly you would end up blaming the man for it. #fml

• Like 1

Why are so many on here so keen to sell anybody who attracts even a dodgy tweet.Every day it is somebody else, it was Barnes a week ago.The club is not bankrupt and we are not having a fire sale. You know some I think would sell a quality young player like Fofana so we could spend it on some teenage winger with a daft haircut and ambitions to own a Porsche. Who will then score two goals in season. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bucks fox said:

the media are irrelevant - as long as the players are aware of the club's position with them,  speculation is all part of the game and the more our players are linked, the more photos of FBS are splashed across the media ..........  free advertising

But it wouldn't. 

Of course there will be interest in our better players.   Of course it is harder to shift players surplus to requirements. 

If we don't become a Champions League team,  Fofana will eventually move for abig fee.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Why are so many on here so keen to sell anybody who attracts even a dodgy tweet.Every day it is somebody else, it was Barnes a week ago.The club is not bankrupt and we are not having a fire sale. You know some I think would sell a quality young player like Fofana so we could spend it on some teenage winger with a daft haircut and ambitions to own a Porsche. Who will then score two goals in season. 

the only reason for this thread to be hot today is because of what wes did on his social media account yesterday.  without that, there would be little doing until he failed to turn up at the signing session (was late)  ...... 

Edited by st albans fox

5 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Of course they do but in general premier league clubs especially those at the top end will spend more on a home grown player. 70 million is a special fee for a CB from anyway. My only point was that it’s a little misleading for people to compare it to some of the English players fees. A better comparison would be a player like Van Dijk then suddenly 70 million doesn’t seem bad 

I see your point to a certain degree but Van Dyke was 27 when he went to Liverpool.

3 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I see your point to a certain degree but Van Dyke was 27 when he went to Liverpool.

I think it's worth looking at Maguire as an outlier. It's one of those transfers that just didn't work out for anyone but the selling club. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_association_football_transfers

Looking at this list 70 million would make Fofana the 3rd most expensive defender of all time. Higher than De Light (twice), Hernandez, Dias. Slightly below Van Dijk and a bit below Maguire. My main point is even for a generational talent (which Fofana is) 70 million is as good as your ever going to get for a CB. If he was home grown maybe it would add 10 - 20 million onto his price because clubs would be willing to part with that to meet their quotas for European competition. I suspect that's part of the reason Maguire breached the ceiling at the top end of the defender market. It also helps to explain why White, Grealish and Phillips went for so much or the bizarre values quoted for Rice or Ake. 

• Like 1

Just now, peach0000 said:

I think it's worth looking at Maguire as an outlier. It's one of those transfers that just didn't work out for anyone but the selling club. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_association_football_transfers

Looking at this list 70 million would make Fofana the 3rd most expensive defender of all time. Higher than De Light (twice), Hernandez, Dias. Slightly below Van Dijk and a bit below Maguire. My main point is even for a generational talent (which Fofana is) 70 million is as good as your ever going to get for a CB. If he was home grown maybe it would add 10 - 20 million onto his price because clubs would be willing to part with that to meet their quotas for European competition. I suspect that's part of the reason Maguire breached the ceiling at the top end of the defender market. It also helps to explain why White, Grealish and Phillips went for so much or the bizarre values quoted for Rice or Ake. 

I think it comes down to how much Chelsea want him and if they see him as a mainstay of their defence for the next 10 years. 

If they decide they want him that much, they will pay the money we want or as close to it as we see acceptable.

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Did not realise Ake was considered home grown.