Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Chelsea are playing a game, they will pay the asking price, but on deadline day. Meaning with a game, we won’t sign anyone, and be weakened even more!

I did think that until he refused to train. Now I have to wonder if him staying does more harm than good. Rogers would be forced into a Cags/ Evans partnership again - which is no bad thing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

I can see us being very much in a relegation battle if we lose Fofana this late in the window, even if we sign a replacement!

He was a part of a defence that shipped 6 goals in two games. That's unsustainable with or without him.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I did think that until he refused to train. Now I have to wonder if him staying does more harm than good. Rogers would be forced into a Cags/ Evans partnership again - which is no bad thing. 

I'm afraid this whole sorry saga has gone too far now for a reconciliation with club or fans , he needs to go so let's just try to negotiate the best fee.

6 minutes ago, stu said:

He was a part of a defence that shipped 6 goals in two games. That's unsustainable with or without him.

Peak foxestalk revisionism if we're now suddenly claiming Fofana doesn't improve our defence, just because it looks like he might be sold

• Like 2

Just now, Les-TA-Jon said:

Peak foxestalk revisionism if we're now suddenly claiming Fofana doesn't improve our defence, just because it looks like he might be sold

I'm just stating facts, which is more that your sensationalist comments that we are in a religation battle if we lose him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stu said:

I'm just stating facts, which is more that your sensationalist comments that we are in a religation battle if we lose him.

But you agree that conceding 2 goals a game - which we've largely been doing for months and months and months - is unsustainable. Our best chance of improving that is an Evans - Fofana partnership. 

1 minute ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

But you agree that conceding 2 goals a game - which we've largely been doing for months and months and months - is unsustainable. Our best chance of improving that is an Evans - Fofana partnership. 

We had that partnership since April last season, but as you say we still had issues. I don't see Fofana being the single solution to our problems, just as I don't see a replacement being any more of a solution. Collectively our defensive performace as a team needs to be improved.

1 minute ago, jerry said:

Currently zero value to us.

Yes, that's the point isn't it? And how long will currently last? If we don't sell (and I'm not calling it either way) there's an assumption, and a fair one imho, that Fofana will get over it and pull finger eventually. But he is of limited value to us training with the kids. 

There was a Chelsea player, years ago, that famously decided just to take the wages and see his contract out. He had a good life, was paid loads, he wasn't interested in playing, just turned up to training and did the minimum. Not saying Fofana will do that (not for us anyway!) but that's the other end of the scale.

To be honest, as much as I'd love him and Chelsea to not get the move given their actions throughout...we have got to be pragmatic and consider what is best for the club. For the sake of £5m-ish I'd probably look to move him on and strengthen elsewhere.

Brendan needs to show pragmatism too though. If you want a player with something to prove then just accept Soyuncu as the 1 year stop gap with the Fofana loss. He has been way off form but he's a much better player than Amartey and was going to be in our first choice back two before injury presented Fofana with the chance.

We can then use some money to improve the squad elsewhere. Get some young hungry players in with resale value. Let the new head of recruitment have 12 months to find us the Fofana replacement.

• Like 2

I would say at £75m we can start to negotiate, but Chelsea aren't there yet. World record fee is the minimum expectation. 

Do Chelsea really want to lose the top target for the sake of £5/10 million? 

Susan knows what she's doing though, she'll get them to either cough or **** off

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, taupe said:

Yes, that's the point isn't it? And how long will currently last? If we don't sell (and I'm not calling it either way) there's an assumption, and a fair one imho, that Fofana will get over it and pull finger eventually. But he is of limited value to us training with the kids. 

There was a Chelsea player, years ago, that famously decided just to take the wages and see his contract out. He had a good life, was paid loads, he wasn't interested in playing, just turned up to training and did the minimum. Not saying Fofana will do that (not for us anyway!) but that's the other end of the scale.

Agree 100%.

13 hours ago, UHDrive said:

If the club are going to come to an agreement with Chelsea then so beit. All I would insist on is that the deal is finalised and signed by the weekend so that we have at least some time to bring some players in.

You would hope that we have already lined up a replacement (Akanji or whoever) and can close out any deal in parallel (if not before) we agree the deal with Chelsea. To my mind, as we are in the box seat, we should have insisted on Gallagher / Chabolah as part of a deal.

we need to move on, re-energise and restart the season. Up the citeh!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Anyone know how much we have paid Fofana since his arrival? Transfer fee, wages, etc. The fee would have in part have been amortised I assume?

I believe the cost of the transfer is capitalised on the balance sheet and amortised over the length of the contract and when a contract extension takes place the amortisation rate is amended.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, South Shire Fox said:

Far too much of the ‘im bored of this now so lets just sell him for cheaper attitude’. Do people not understand that would show that Fofana and Chelseas antics have worked in lowering the price so shows future buyers a way of getting our players cheaper? You stay strong and take every penny you demanded so the next little shit that comes along thinks twice about trying it.

Don't necessarily disagree, but it may also stop talent coming to us if they feel and are told by others we block players furthering their career. There is a balance that needs to be struck.

48 minutes ago, taupe said:

Fofana will want to get in the France world cup squad so if he doesn't leave - I think he will get his head right and kick on with us as he needs to play at his top level to get on their squad.

Although I think he will go to Chelsea this transfer window for about 75-80million with 60million cash upfront.

Six days to go so no way are quality players going to be made available to us unless we pay really big money and then said players may not want to come to a malfunctioning team with a failing manager. Not looking good is it.

• Like 1

This will be done once the intermediaries have decided they've billed enough hours lol bet they just sit in a nice restaurant every day having a giggle to each other, knowing full well on the first day the Chelsea end agreed to pay £85m

• Like 1