Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

Fofana's the first player since Kante where it's been obvious from the start that he was destined for the very top of the game. Kante has gone on to win the World Cup, reach a European Championship final, win the FA Cup, the player of the season award and the Champions League, so that's saying something.

For that reason it's inevitable he will leave, so as long as we can make sure we do well out of the deal then that's all we can really expect. I don't think he will leave this season, though next is more than possible. It was smart of the club to get him to sign for 5 years.

Fofana was absolutely incredible against Sevilla it must be said. His passing, his interceptions, his heading. The real deal in every sense of the word. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fergus2222 said:

No options left. We're desperate. We're going to chuck 80m at you instantly. It'll be done within 48 hours

Not doubting you won’t try. 

But as above think it’s too late to the start of the window now and Fofana is too important to us. Think we’d be fairly confident of recouping a similar amount next season which we can then use to strengthen across the board.

Not sure Fofana would push for it just yet anyway, seems happy here and with the WC only a few months away and with him on the fringes of the French national team think a couple of months where he’s happy and settled and knows he will play every week will likely help his chances of making that. 

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I really doubt it. We hold all the cards. 

There are other options out there. Don't rule out Azpi staying after what Tuchel said about him the other day, and the way that Barca have dealt with you lot this summer. 

azpis gone as soon as we get a replacement

31 minutes ago, FoxInTheBox89 said:

Why are people so insistent of selling our best players. 100m in the bank is counter intuitive if we replace Fofana with a less gifted footballer which is very likely. Football is about winning football matches not the size of your bank balance

Because you can sell one player and weaken that position but ultimately improve the squad as a whole by bringing in a number of others who improve several other positions in the squad. 

I have no problem cashing in on Fofana, it IS going to happen eventually, he will be our next big pay day unless his form or body gives up. 

It would be foolish to do it while the squad is in this shape though, if we sell now then a considerable amount of the money in probably goes on offsetting the contracts of the deadwood we can't shift. 

Hence why he isn't going anywhere this summer. Pretty obvious at this point that the next twelve months is going to be about consolidating, trying not to go backwards and getting ready for a better crack at it next summer when we're closer to reducing the wage bill. 

Next summer we're going to need to buy quite a bit, selling Fofana off to fund it seems quite likely. 

• Like 3

The narrative seems to have gone up to £85m 

back end of last week the football world seemed to think it was a 50m deal to be done 

they pay the money and a deal likely  gets done 

the problem we have is as per maguire, any CB we go looking for now is going to be price inflated.  

31 minutes ago, Hamilton Fox said:

Maddison would have to sign a new contract for that to happen which is no guarantee, we sell Wes then we could be forced to sell Maddison a year later and your question goes out the window 

I would of thought selling your best players just before the start of the season isn't gonna make maddison want to sign a new contract. We need him this year.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He categorically isn't going this summer. The offer would need to be absolutely absurd, like completely ridiculous money AND Colwill. Which isn't going to happen. 

I agree that's what it'd take, at this point though, a part of me thinks that it could happen. Pay the premium now to avoid getting into a bidding war next summer. It must be half tempting.

28 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He categorically isn't going this summer. The offer would need to be absolutely absurd, like completely ridiculous money AND Colwill. Which isn't going to happen. 

From what I see it's win-win.

We either have a fantastic player in the squad or a massive fee to reinvest in the squad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

We have to keep buying to sell, it's as simple as that really, if we want to compete at the top end of the table consistently and not just for 3/4 years then we need to be comfortable in being a club that players can join who are not quite ready for the elite clubs.

If a stupid offer comes in, you take the money and you reinvest it in more young and talented players and keep the conveyor belt moving. If we try and hold onto a batch of players then we'll very quickly stop moving forwards and start going in reverse

Thing with Fofana is that we can easily get the same sort of money, or even more, next summer. Because by that time he'll have probably shown his quality in the prem for another season as well as potentially at the world cup.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fergus2222 said:

fab just quoted "almost 75m" is what we have to offer to get it done lol. Just giving my opinion, I myself think hes worth 100m as is to you guys and 75m is cheap for him

Where are you taking this from? Fabrizio said yesterday that despite our valuation being around 85m, that both our manager and board are on the same page of not selling him this summer. He also loves it here so he won't force a move and make it easy for you like Chilwell did.

Honestly, you're wasting your time with Fofana. You're gonna be left with nothing at the end

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I think it’s down to the player. I could chuck in the possibility that deschamps calls him and says if he’s playing for Chelsea then he’s likely to be in the WC squad.  suddenly wes isn’t so relaxed to reman a Lcfc player …..

32 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I think if we did sell him this summer, there should be an agreement that we get the replacement in first so we're not rinsed. 

The ship has already sailed - Chelsea will naturally inflate colwill’s value and the football world knows that any enquiries form us now are predicated on fofana possibly leaving. it doesn’t help that chelsea are briefing that they are still after him.  Rodgers attempts to shut down any sale is likely just as much about us trying to buy a CB as it is about Chelsea upping their bid. It’s a shame because we were in the market for a CB without a wes sale. If Chelsea had kept their mouths shut then we wouldn’t be rinsed - maybe that’s reason enough to just tell them to F off and explain to fofana that it’s not our fault but theirs. 

I think the way we backed Fofana during his injury will only have increased his loyalty to the club. Looks like there is a special bond there, even with my most cynical hat on. 

Have no doubt he would prefer to move to Chelsea but the reports say he's happy to stay which means we can get a higher offer. Hopefully that remains the case and he won't force things, instead holding out for a move next summer, when he may have more clubs to choose from and get to dictate higher terms. 

Edited by lcfc_forever