Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

I would hate us to sell him. He has qualities that are hard to find almost irreplaceable in our team.

However 120 million would probably change my mind with the state of our current finances.
It would be a shame but if needs must and the money is right.

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Let’s just put ridiculous prices on players. Piss them off rejecting nearly world record fees and let them run there contracts down for free.

You are not wrong BUT if players are allowed to take us as mugs, that is also a bad strategy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tetly said:

I would hate us to sell him. He has qualities that are hard to find almost irreplaceable in our team.

However 120 million would probably change my mind with the state of our current finances.
It would be a shame but if needs must and the money is right.

Oh no, that's way too much. The world best young CB that's just signed a 5 year contract and could literally be forced to see it out if we so wanted is absolutely not worth anything north of £80m

Just now, SafewayFox said:

Over simplifying the situation - tell them what we’d accept and turn off mobiles, email and faxes unless they offer it? 

I think we tried something similar with Silva 

only problem was we couldn’t turn the fax back on 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Let’s just put ridiculous prices on players. Piss them off rejecting nearly world record fees and let them run there contracts down for free.

Sounds like a plan, sure we will the next young prospects queuing up to join, jostling with those also queuing for our crap no doubt

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Sounds like a plan, sure we will the next young prospects queuing up to join, jostling with those also queuing for our crap no doubt

Meh, we have no vacancies and couldn't afford their wages anyway.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Meh, we have no vacancies and couldn't afford their wages anyway.

U21s don’t need to be registered do they? And if we bought crap u21s, they would be cheap too,cso Kasper’s 120,000, we could get what, like 5 or them?

5 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

This thread has gone full on nursing home senile. 120 million this, 100 million that. 

Log off. 

Or everybody seems to be forgetting that Greaslish went for £100m during Covid. How about we use that as a measurement of market value rather than the 'oh no, we've had covid, Fofana and Maddison are only worth 50p now'. 

Pretty sure ALL of the big 6 here and massive clubs abroad will want Fofana in a years time, he'll still have 4 years in his contract and the market will have supposedly recovered. If anybody would rather sell him cheap this year they have a screw loose. 

Edited by SecretPro

8 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Ok, bud. If it’s that simple, then sure. :thumbup:
Let’s never sell anyone except crap players, cos that will raise loads of money as there are so many takers, they are queuing around the block I hear.  :facepalm:

I'm not having this 'a player is only worth what someone is willing to pay' attitude. It's a weak mentality to have from a negotiating standpoint. Our players are our assets that we have every right to place a valuation on that we choose, why should we allow other clubs to decide what our players are worth? It's ludicrous. You wouldn't sell your car and let the buyer decide what to pay you for it would you?

Fofana and Maddison also aren't for sale, it's that simple. If someone really wants then they will have to pay our extortionately inflated price that we set or they can move on to other targets. That's how negotiating works at successful football clubs, and that's how we should operate. 

• Like 3

Just now, smudger63 said:

West Ham have got it right this summer with Declan Rice. They knew he would be sought after, so put 150 million pound price tag on his head. Guess what, every other Club know that he is unattainable this summer, and so West Ham have not had to deal with all the speculation, and clubs making  ridiculous bids, while potentially unsettling Rice.  It is what we should have done with Fofana. Make it known he wouldn't be sold for less than 125 million.

Declan Rice loves West Ham, been at the academy since he was 14 and and wasn’t brought 2 years ago 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

What has that got to do with anything? I would not have sold him willingly, but 80m was too much to turn down. :dunno:

Or it because I can not swear and be outraged, I basically don’t value the players.???

It just sounds sounds like if we had been offered £35m, you would have bitten their hand off....

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Where do people get 100m from??? Sorry, but 80m would be a decent price, however any fee and we would struggle to replace him.

I think you have answered your own post there bud by saying whatever fee we would struggle to replace him.

personally I wouldn’t let him go for anything less than £100-£120 million sort of range but that’s how highly I rate him and I think as you have rightly pointed out we couldn’t replace him. 

2 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

I'm not having this 'a player is only worth what someone is willing to pay' attitude. It's a weak mentality to have from a negotiating standpoint. Our players are our assets that we have every right to place a valuation on that we choose, why should we allow other clubs to decide what our players are worth? It's ludicrous. You wouldn't sell your car and let the buyer decide what to pay you for it would you?

Fofana and Maddison also aren't for sale, it's that simple. If someone really wants then they will have to pay our extortionately inflated price that we set or they can move on to other targets. That's how negotiating works at successful football clubs, and that's how we should operate. 

So we should operate at price points where we can never sell?
We don’t give them away of course, but also we just don’t make a value no-one will pay if we did want to sell to raise funds (this may or not be the case of course)

Putting a high price is not clever, it’s dumb as no price is what is required, but as this is all paper talk, it’s all hypothetical anyway. lol

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I hope we are as firm as levy was then

The kid and his entourage need to be educated that life is not a one way street …..

If we sell , given he has a new contract, it will say more about the club than Fofana. He is an ambitious kid , we already knew that. However if the club are prepared to weaken the team for a quick profit that will scream lack of progression. The stadium expansion has ground to a halt and that will not all be down to a bone- headed planning committee. The owners have gone full risk- averse which suggests finance worries way above Leicester City.. They are not oil barons or commodity traders, they are a commercial company and they have taken a hell of a kicking lately. 

7 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

It seems were essentially standing strong on our valuations of players we don't want or need, Vestergaard, Soumare, Choudhury (Don't think there been any interest this summer but i'm sure there has in the past - Newcastle). We're crying over £4m if you believe the reports regarding Vestergaard ffs - We can't be that desperate to get them off the wage bill and free up spaces - Cut your fucking losses!

However our top players, the players we need and should be looking to keep it almost seems a case of saying to other clubs '"You name your price and we'll work from there...£40m, £50m for Maddison?....hmmmm we'd need nearer £60m and we might consider it"

Edited by Matt

1 minute ago, Cecchini1976 said:

He is a Chelsea fan and got released by them

Yeah but he has been at West Ham since he was 14 quoted as saying he loves the club & tutored by the likes of noble.

The chances of him downing tools and kicking off are slim in comparison to a player who chose a club on his career path as a stepping stone.