Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

8 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Thats a crap argument, because it would imply if someone offered 1 billion, we still need to make space (Although the sell on fee to St Etienne would be moot I confess)

It's not a crap argument it's avoiding exactly what got us in to this situation in the first place. 

We cannot keep hoarding senior players, we cannot keep signing more and more when we can't afford the wage bill. The more senior players we have, the more our wage commitment, the more of that Fofana money is just going to go to paying Bertrand, Vestergaard and Choudhury to sit in the reserves. 

Just because we get money for Wes, it doesn't mean we're then going to buy 80 odd million worth of players and then just compound the situation for next year and the year after or for however long we have all these duds contracted. 

We probably have some money in the kitty we could spend on transfer fees right now, it makes little sense we'd have literally zero. But we just can't spend while the existing wage bill is so insanely bloated, it'd be really dangerous. What happens when we DON'T have a Fofana to sell to cover our losses if we have this stacked out wage bill of thirty odd players you want us to sign? 

It's how clubs go in to administration and why there's clubs in League One that played Premier League football not but a few years ago. 

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Exactly. We've form for this and basically telling a player that they will have to wait. 

He ain't going anywhere, whether he likes it (or more likely) not.

If Top says we are taking the money, he goes end of story , Rodgers will have little say in it.

5 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Frankly I'm not surprised these top players want to leave. We're repeatedly played down by our own manager and a bug portion of the fan base. We can't hold on to champions league quality players and be happy to finish midtable 

If we continue to sell good players then we won't be anywhere near CL or recruiting "Champions League quality players". We'll end up like Southampton who did the same thing, keep selling their best players until they don't recruit players as good as or better than those leaving. If players such as Maddison had any ambition, and see Vardy/Kasper/Fofona/Tielemans all leave, then as Nalis said above he'll be wanting to leave too. It's huge to me that we're losing our best defender (potentially) and our best goalkeeper in the same window, so late on.

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's not a crap argument it's avoiding exactly what got us in to this situation in the first place. 

We cannot keep hoarding senior players, we cannot keep signing more and more when we can't afford the wage bill. The more senior players we have, the more our wage commitment, the more of that Fofana money is just going to go to paying Bertrand, Vestergaard and Choudhury to sit in the reserves. 

Just because we get money for Wes, it doesn't mean we're then going to buy 80 odd million worth of players and then just compound the situation for next year and the year after or for however long we have all these duds contracted. 

We probably have some money in the kitty we could spend on transfer fees right now, it makes little sense we'd have literally zero. But we just can't spend while the existing wage bill is so insanely bloated, it'd be really dangerous. What happens when we DON'T have a Fofana to sell to cover our losses if we have this stacked out wage bill of thirty odd players you want us to sign? 

It's how clubs go in to administration and why there's clubs in League One that played Premier League football not but a few years ago. 

It was more a comment on not selling as we cannot sign anyone (Due to the crap we have) as that would be true regardless of fee received for Ffana or Maddison or ....

Maybe I was indirectly agreeing, not sure now...

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

If we continue to sell good players then we won't be anywhere near CL or recruiting "Champions League quality players". We'll end up like Southampton who did the same thing, keep selling their best players until they don't recruit players as good as or better than those leaving. If players such as Maddison had any ambition, and see Vardy/Kasper/Fofona/Tielemans all leave, then as Nalis said above he'll be wanting to leave too. It's huge to me that we're losing our best defender (potentially) and our best goalkeeper in the same window, so late on.

Yeah it's ridiculous. I just don't know what our ambitions are nowadays. Nothing seems in sync 

I think what you're suggesting may happen has already started 

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dames said:

I think this is the start of us being picked apart late in the window leaving us very little time to get replacements in. What'll happen over the next few weeks is we hold out for prices we want but not actually buy anyone. At the end of the window we'll have a nice big pot of money but a severely weakened squad. 

Would we still be "too good for relegation" then?

Just now, foxfanazer said:

When you factor in the BR injury curse on top of losing Kasper, Maddison, Tielemans and Fofana we'd really struggle. 

Our starting 11 would still be good enough for the league but any long terms injuries and we would be toast.

Have I missed something or has the city of Leicester been subjected to a marvel type incident? All of sudden we have a lot of people who can predict our gloomy future…… we may as well sell the training ground to the almighty Newcastle, let the stadium out and pull our pants down.

• Like 1

Just now, Pliskin said:

Have I missed something or has the city of Leicester been subjected to a marvel type incident? All of sudden we have a lot of people who can predict our gloomy future…… we may as well sell the training ground to the almighty Newcastle, let the stadium out and pull our pants down.

No but the winds have definitely shifted. Clubs are circling for our best players and no doubt a good chunk of them will have agents in their ears hoping for that bumper pay day. 

This is what happens when you publicly state you are brassic.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It was more a comment on not selling as we cannot sign anyone (Due to the crap we have) as that would be true regardless of fee received for Ffana or Maddison or ....

Maybe I was indirectly agreeing, not sure now...

It just feels depressing to sell only to then have to cover our losses and not really invest. 

I suppose it doesn't make massive sense given that money has to be covered anyway regardless of what income goes towards it. 

It'll just feel hugely deflating if he goes and we can't do much anyway. But I do think we're in a weaker bargaining position right now and will get less than his worth if he goes this window. 

• Like 1

No but the winds have definitely shifted. Clubs are circling for our best players and no doubt a good chunk of them will have agents in their ears hoping for that bumper pay day. 

Did we publicly state we were brassic, balancing the FFP situation with our wages is not the same as brassic, it’s probably good business sense better late than never. 

• Like 1

It all depends what our financial situation really is. As Finnegan says, selling him to then go and get 2 new CBs and a RW doesn't help the fact we already have 5+ senior players we need shot of.

The only thing it probably allows us to do and if we don't desperately need money but just the wage flexibility ie, it let's us agree to loaning Vestergaard out and perhaps covering part of his wages, it let's us do the same with Hamza and Perez and sell Praet and Soumare for a bit less than we want etc.

But even then we've got to be careful, all eyes will be on us and getting just a couple of additions in will be difficult. It could be terrible optics but I always knew Fofana will pull a stunt like this, we reject that 1st big bid and he'll start gobbing off in the press.

• Like 3

Just now, Dames said:

The only winds that have shifted are in the bowels of some of our precious fans.

Maddison and Fofana have been talked out the door since day one, it’s what happens. We haven’t publicly stated we’re brassic, we’ve stated that we have a business model, and we aren’t prepared to step out of it. We need to sell some high earners who are on the fringes of the squad due to no having European football this season because we’re not prepared to pay huge wages for no return. 

We don’t need to sell any of our key players, hence why none have gone, and none will go. This idea that bigger clubs can just pick our players off who are under contract is ludicrous….. If we don’t want to sell, we won’t it’s as simple as that. 

The only player I can see them being happy to sell is Youri, because out of all of the key players he is probably the easiest to replace. We won’t then just go and sell someone else key just because he hasn’t gone.

The club still has ambitions

We are not skint 

We are trying to trim the squad not dismantle it

even with no signings this team is still quality and comfortable a top 10 team. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dames said:

I think this is the start of us being picked apart late in the window leaving us very little time to get replacements in. What'll happen over the next few weeks is we hold out for prices we want but not actually buy anyone. At the end of the window we'll have a nice big pot of money but a severely weakened squad. 

10 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

On the first point, I very much doubt that the club would let us sell Tielemans and Fofana/Maddison. It would be a massive own goal and the finance created would be offset by poor performances and a bad season.

However, even though that would put us comfortably in the bottom half, I would doubt we are one of the three worst teams. We would struggle no doubt but I think the remaining squad could still keep us afloat. 14th/15th/16th.

Let's not worry about that though...yet

2 minutes ago, gerrytaggart said:

Exactly this. 

Personally I think we will have a great season.

I trust the board to make the right decisions for the club...just like they have been doing for the last 10 years.

The board overall are brilliant but we have rough periods and make many mistakes before correcting them. There's every chance we're in for a but of that in the next year or so.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Did we publicly state we were brassic, balancing the FFP situation with our wages is not the same as brassic, it’s probably good business sense better late than never. 

But it gives a message that we don't have money to spend. Which we don't until we shift some players on so until that happens we are indeed brassic. 

Theres been no interest in the players we want to sell so now the club will have to seriously consider selling the players they don't want to sell. Either way the books need balancing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It just feels depressing to sell only to then have to cover our losses and not really invest. 

I suppose it doesn't make massive sense given that money has to be covered anyway regardless of what income goes towards it. 

It'll just feel hugely deflating if he goes and we can't do much anyway. But I do think we're in a weaker bargaining position right now and will get less than his worth if he goes this window. 

I feel like if we shift two big earners then the club would be happy enough for a mid range earner to sit in the U21's until January before being sold, to free up a squad space. 

Also we'll easily ship out Hamza and Perez on deadline day on loan, we just have to make sure we've already signed people taking their squad places.

An extreme version is what Barcelona are currently doing, they've signed 2 or 3 they can't even register until they've sold players, but they know they will sell those players in time, even if it's last minute. 

8 minutes ago, Dames said:

When you factor in the BR injury curse on top of losing Kasper, Maddison, Tielemans and Fofana we'd really struggle. 

Our starting 11 would still be good enough for the league but any long terms injuries and we would be toast.

I'm happy to slate the club on many things, particularly ticketing / growth of fambase and comms, but surely upon surely you must think that the club hierarchy would be aware that a fire sale involving losing our best 4 players would.lead to on field disaster? 

It ain't gonna happen. Schmeichel has gone as a favour to a loyal player and Tielemans will go due to contract. Nobody else will go. Regardless of price or player wishes

But we haven’t. All we have said is that we need to sell a few before we can buy due to the number of players on the books. Not the same as having no transfer kitty or being skint. No business recruits staff when there are no vacancies to fill.

it is purely the media, who still hate us for upsetting their big six agenda, who have stirred all this up. No nothing idiots like mills, coming out with crap about all our players wanting to leave etc, when even the likes of Perez and Soyuncu, who are most likely “available” have recently been saying they are up for the new season and ready to give it their all for the club.

kasper, I think is going with the clubs blessing, the reported £1m (ridiculously low for supposedly the 7th best keeper around despite his age) fee being the clubs way of helping to get his last big contract and shot at Europe.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dames said:

Are we getting ahead of ourselves here or have they all gone?

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

The only winds that have shifted are in the bowels of some of our precious fans.

Maddison and Fofana have been talked out the door since day one, it’s what happens. We haven’t publicly stated we’re brassic, we’ve stated that we have a business model, and we aren’t prepared to step out of it. We need to sell some high earners who are on the fringes of the squad due to no having European football this season because we’re not prepared to pay huge wages for no return. 

We don’t need to sell any of our key players, hence why none have gone, and none will go. This idea that bigger clubs can just pick our players off who are under contract is ludicrous….. If we don’t want to sell, we won’t it’s as simple as that. 

The only player I can see them being happy to sell is Youri, because out of all of the key players he is probably the easiest to replace. We won’t then just go and sell someone else key just because he hasn’t gone.

The club still has ambitions

We are not skint 

We are trying to trim the squad not dismantle it

even with no signings this team is still quality and comfortable a top 10 team. 

Its the same thing, we have stated we don't have money to spend until we make money. I respect the club for trying to adhere to the business model and long term its a financially sound plan but at the same time it doesn't send a positive message to players who generally only think in the short term. 

I also agree that with no signings and no injuries the squad is more than good enough to compete.

However I don't buy into the fact that we'll manage to hold onto all of our star players, Kasper is going, Tielemans is half out the door (in his head at least) its going to make other players stop and consider their futures, especially with agents in their ears looking for paydays and big clubs promising them double wages and Champions League football. We might hold some of the cards but we aren't in as strong a position as many think, at some point we are going to need to bring revenue in and the wage budget down. 

• Like 1