Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

First point isn’t strictly true. We do have money to spend, but the way we operate is ordinarily we will be willing to part with a key player to generate some funds to then invest on a couple of promising players….. We’ve all gone on way to much about last summer so we need not anymore, but we’ve got a fairly bloated squad than needs the fringe players moving on…. What we can’t have is players say on big wages not in the match squad, we don’t have the finances to justify that. 

With regards to key players going, I think the writing was on the wall with Kasper, there was an article printed last season about him wanting to play European football again, so it’s no great surprise he has gone, and in fairness it was probably his time to go. Youri isn’t half out of the door, because we have receive the grand total of 0 bids for him….. so it appears he is firmly inside the door, the door is locked and he’s misplaced the key. 

People also need to realise that when players are under contract, they’re under contract. Chelsea can’t just pop into reception and leave an envelope of cash on the desk and just take Fofana off into the sunset. Even is Wes wants to go, as a club we’re entitled to say nada. I’m short, Wes will be told you’re not for sale kid, wind your neck in play your football and we will consider offers next summer, which could involve PSG, Real Madrid et al. 

I reiterate selling Fofana won’t help us as a club, we won’t do something that will ultimately leave us in a worse position. 

The first part is slightly contradictory - we do have money to spend but not the money to let players sit out of the match day squad? Its one or the other not both sadly. Especially seeing as we have a lot of players we want to leave in the last year of their deals its still a risk but its not as big as it could be. However its still a risk the club aren't willing to take which means we probably don't have as much money as we'd like.

Players might be under contact but how healthy is it as a club to force a player to stay when they clearly want to go somewhere else? It rarely ever works out and the player gets their move eventually. In the interim its 50/50 if they'll continue to play to the standards they have set and there are risks associated with this too. One year less on the contract and a potential hit and miss season can drive a price right down, with how Fofana acted at his last club it could put us in a really difficult position.

• Like 1

reports suggest he may have to wait until next year for his big-money switch following an agreement with Leicester when he signed his contract extension in March. According to CBS Sports, the Foxes told him they would listen to 'fair' offers in 2023 and would prefer to sell then rather than this summer.

However, Chelsea aren't giving up on the Frenchman and are hoping his openness to a move could prompt Leicester to lower their asking price slightly. There is currently a £20million gap between what they are willing to offer and the King Power Stadium outfit's valuation, with Paris Saint-Germain also outside suitors.

Just now, drew said:

Say he does go, can't say I particularly trust BR with the money we receive to go out and get the players we need.

I just don't see the point in having Rodgers here if we're selling out best players. Seems like an unnecessary wage to me

I hope we're sensible enough to put a sell on clause in for a change! Even at £75/80m, this lad is going to go on to be one of the best in the world, for me there's a £100m+ transfer to PSG/Real in 4-5 years

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I just don't see the point in having Rodgers here if we're selling out best players. Seems like an unnecessary wage to me

We have a lot of decent players, i don't see his statements inspiring many of them to perform for him.

40 minutes ago, Dames said:

No but the winds have definitely shifted. Clubs are circling for our best players and no doubt a good chunk of them will have agents in their ears hoping for that bumper pay day. 

This is what happens when you publicly state you are brassic.

Clubs have been circling for our best players for the last 6 years. That hasn't changed. It doesn't suddenly mean we will be rubbish. We have a strong squad and with no Europe this year we will still mix with with the top 6 and end up 6-8th. Then next summer with players out of contract we will have financial room to improve the squad and push on! 

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
3 minutes ago, sdb said:

We were headed for 14th until he returned!

Some people have such short memories dont they. The defensive stats pre Fofana's return, compared to when he did return and very very different. Someone did put a pic up on here to compare them, cant see it now though. Made it so clear

Fofana is an awesome CB. Those claiming we can manage well without him are living in cuckoo land

Edited by Col city fan

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I hope we're sensible enough to put a sell on clause in for a change! Even at £75/80m, this lad is going to go on to be one of the best in the world, for me there's a £100m+ transfer to PSG/Real in 4-5 years

Current trajectory there isn’t a chance in hell he’s a Leicester player in 12 months. 

Blimey some people are so dramatic. If he leaves, he’ll go for a big profit for essentially one seasons work and we move on. 

This happens in football daily. Players move clubs. We signed him from St Etienne, he plays well, another club wants him, we make money, rinse and repeat.

We have a fantastic recruitment policy which means bigger clubs want our players. Prefer that to the Man United school of mismanagement, where they literally have to give their players away. 

It’d be a shame but nothing else.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Staffs Fox said:

Blimey some people are so dramatic. If he leaves, he’ll go for a big profit for essentially one seasons work and we move on. 

This happens in football daily. Players move clubs. We signed him from St Etienne, he plays well, another club wants him, we make money, rinse and repeat.

We have a fantastic recruitment policy which means bigger clubs want our players. Prefer that to the Man United school of mismanagement, where they literally have to give their players away. 

But it's not always a 'fantastic recruitment policy'. 

The next lad could end up being the birth child of Vester-gash!!

1 minute ago, Staffs Fox said:

Quite so, would rather he stayed, but this is the model that has served us well in the past, as you say. The very fact we diverged from this model was only due to global financial uncertainty and covid I think. So in one sense, we would be back on the track we got us where we are, and I truly believwe that CDK was an attacking version of Fofana and would have fitted very well into this way of working.

Just now, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

But it's not always a 'fantastic recruitment policy'. 

The next lad could end up being the birth child of Vester-gash!!

The next lad WAS going to be CDK I reckon, but we could not free up the funds, and he looked like a Fofana in attack prospect.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dames said:

Its the same thing, we have stated we don't have money to spend until we make money. I respect the club for trying to adhere to the business model and long term its a financially sound plan but at the same time it doesn't send a positive message to players who generally only think in the short term. 

I also agree that with no signings and no injuries the squad is more than good enough to compete.

However I don't buy into the fact that we'll manage to hold onto all of our star players, Kasper is going, Tielemans is half out the door (in his head at least) its going to make other players stop and consider their futures, especially with agents in their ears looking for paydays and big clubs promising them double wages and Champions League football. We might hold some of the cards but we aren't in as strong a position as many think, at some point we are going to need to bring revenue in and the wage budget down. 

This, absolutely this

51 minutes ago, Dames said:

But it gives a message that we don't have money to spend. Which we don't until we shift some players on so until that happens we are indeed brassic. 

Theres been no interest in the players we want to sell so now the club will have to seriously consider selling the players they don't want to sell. Either way the books need balancing. 

Thought we had turned down offers for the likes of Soumare?