Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Wesley Fofana - He is no more - finished - forgotten.

Does a sale affect the manager

after all, it would be the second time that he’s publicly stated that a player is not for sale and Chelsea have bought them within a fortnight !

he could have made the statement differently last Friday and still been firm. He could have said the club have told him and he agrees. I just wonder how much/long he’s invested here now …..

Fofana is clearly an amazing talent, but taking away my Leicester City bias for one moment £85m+ is a heck of a lot of money for a player that's played circa 35 games during which we've not really seen the best of him nor in the grand scheme of things has contributed a lot. If we continue the model of buy cheap sell high and keep turning over significant profits which allow us to keep progressing as a club I'm cool with that. 

Edited by ian__marshall
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

And both being hugely touted as wonderkids at the points in time I mentioned, so.....

Yeah that's kind of the young aspect... That's where it ends though, had Ajax not had that Champions League run they'd of got even less for him and De Jong

Every centre half that we've been linked with that's any good has moved this summer, certainly all the left footed ones. 

I really hope this means we then turn round to Torino and take the £7m for Praet, £15m for Soumare, bin Hamza and cover most of his wages, bin Vestergaard and Perez and then get 2 CB's, a CM and 2 wingers in. Probably need Tielemans and Soyuncu to go as well to get 5 in but it's still do-able.

Will be pure chaos start to the season though.

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Genuinely intrigued to see if colwill actually goes to brighton. Theres something about the Cucurella story that doesnt add up for me.

It looks like the agreement to buy him held up the cucarella deal because chelsea wanted a buy back - hence Brighton went to a loan and the cucarella deal increased by approx ten mill. 

You would think that Brighton have made the deal contingent on the colwill loan going through. But if it’s just an agreement and Boehly wants to ride roughshod over convention them anything is possible I guess. 

1 minute ago, ian__marshall said:

Fofana is clearly an amazing talent, but taking away my Leicester City bias for one moment £85m+ is a heck of a lot of money for a player that's played circa 35 games during which not really seen the best of him nor in the grand scheme of things has contributed a lot. If we continue the model of buy cheap sell high and keep turning over significant profits which allow us to keep progressing as a club I'm cool with that. 

So how about 1 more season with him then £100m+ next season? 

What's the rush to sell him for £85m?

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Does a sale affect the manager

after all, it would be the second time that he’s publicly stated that a player is not for sale and Chelsea have bought them within a fortnight !

he could have made the statement differently last Friday and still been firm. He could have said the club have told him and he agrees. I just wonder how much/long he’s invested here now …..

It does, but he's on a massive contract and he's got nowhere to go.

I personally think this is the beginning of the end for brendan.

If it goes well he walks at the first opportunity.

If it doesn't the club probably would have the Financial muscle to sack him now and they've already moved many of his people on.

Just now, ian__marshall said:

Fofana is clearly an amazing talent, but taking away my Leicester City bias for one moment £85m+ is a heck of a lot of money for a player that's played circa 35 games during which not really seen the best of him nor in the grand scheme of things has contributed a lot. If we continue the model of buy cheap sell high and keep turning over significant profits which allow us to keep progressing as a club I'm cool with that. 

Except in this case we didn’t buy cheap.. 

We spent £36m on a centre back who had played about 20 professional games!
We did this in the knowledge (or hope) he was going to be the best in the world and we would get some mileage out of him not sell him after he’s played 35 games for us and signing a new contract.

Or maybe we did it in the hope we would double our money get rich quick

Just now, splinterdream said:

How about 1 more season, a serious injury and 20m? You make the best decision whilst mitigating any risk - its hardly like we are injury recently

Guest Chocolate Teapot
Just now, st albans fox said:

It looks like the agreement to buy him held up the cucarella deal because chelsea wanted a buy back - hence Brighton went to a loan and the cucarella deal increased by approx ten mill. 

You would think that Brighton have made the deal contingent on the colwill loan going through. But if it’s just an agreement and Boehly wants to ride roughshod over convention them anything is possible I guess. 

Theyre playing real life football manager, they've been there on so many transfers and loads have fallen through this summer.

I'd love to see it fall through. Fabrizio is an actual fraud and it'd be great to see this.

We'll blow the cash on maybe men like last season. Brenny grumbles, form stagnates, he's gone by February. Youri, Caglar, Maddison and whoever else looks decent gone next summer. Relegation 23/24.

We had a good run.

1 minute ago, Hamilton Fox said:

We did this in the knowledge (or hope) he was going to be the best in the world and we would get some mileage out of him not sell him after he’s played 35 games for us and signing a new contract.

With the fee amortised, we have not spent that much though have we?

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

It does, but he's on a massive contract and he's got nowhere to go.

I personally think this is the beginning of the end for brendan.

If it goes well he walks at the first opportunity.

If it doesn't the club probably would have the Financial muscle to sack him now and they've already moved many of his people on.

Pochettino to Leicester :ph34r:

Nobody should be surprised that Fofana is playing games to wangle a move. He did the same at St Etienne to join us. We were always going to get bitten similarly. If Chelsea cough up £90 million, then we should get rid of him. Chelsea will probably suffer the same if Real Madrid or Barca (or Newcastle 😂) come calling next. 

A really great player in the making, no doubt. Easier to enjoy his skill than his character. Let's hope we've contingency ready. 

• Like 2

Just now, splinterdream said:

No rush and in the ideal world that'd be my preference but if he's pushing for a move and going to be a disruptive influence then let's strike a good deal and move on. Also, if it means we're able to bring in a replacement and strengthen in other areas as well then I have no issues. Statistically he's not a player that I'd say at this moment in time is irreplaceable within the team. 

Don't get me wrong I'd love for him to stay and really hope he does but if he has to go for varying reasons so long as the deal is right then it won't be the end of the world in my opinion. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Money in the bank. 

Deadwood doesn't seem to be moving on - they're exactly the kind of players to leave on deadline day. 

The positive of selling Fofana now, as much as it hurts, means it still gives us time to work with in the transfer window. 

I think it hurts even more because we haven't got to see him properly due to covid and his injury. I've made peace with the fact he'll leave, just that it wasn't certain if it'd be this window or next summer. 

It's shite it's this window and so soon to the start of the season, but if we can take a positive out of it, it's that we have more clout to buy players with instead of only being linked with them. 

19 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Anyone else just think what's the point anymore lol 

You get someone good, someone will poach them soon enough. you get someone shit, you can't get rid of them.

This isn't fun anymore. 

Nope. Come to terms with that a long time ago no point anything like this, out of your control, effecting you whatsoever - annoying as it (the timing FFS) is I love the owners and trust they’ll do the best for the club. I’ll keep going no matter what. 

For this amount of money it allows us to continue to progress as a club. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Every centre half that we've been linked with that's any good has moved this summer, certainly all the left footed ones. 

I really hope this means we then turn round to Torino and take the £7m for Praet, £15m for Soumare, bin Hamza and cover most of his wages, bin Vestergaard and Perez and then get 2 CB's, a CM and 2 wingers in. Probably need Tielemans and Soyuncu to go as well to get 5 in but it's still do-able.

Will be pure chaos start to the season though.

Which will unsettle the start of the season, which in turn will be hard to recover from. Not expecting much this season, right now I’d take a boring mid table spot. Just don’t want to be dragged into a relegation fight, which is highly possible. 

We do have good players still, but they’ll all be distracted by what’s happening around them. 

6 minutes ago, Hamilton Fox said:

I'd argue £36m for a player that's about to be become the world's most expensive defender after only 18 months (most of which he's been injured) is cheap. To be honest it doesn't really matter what the outlay is if you're making circa £40m profit in 18 months.

5 minutes ago, Lesta Legend said:

Nope. Come to terms with that a long time ago no point anything like this, out of your control, effecting you whatsoever - annoying as it (the timing FFS) is I love the owners and trust they’ll do the best for the club. I’ll keep going no matter what. 

For this amount of money it allows us to continue to progress as a club. 

Precisely. We as fans control very little. I think that's what hurts a lot of people. 

As much as I love Fofana and all the talent he has to give, Chelsea are simply just a better proposition and bigger club to play for. 

• Like 2