Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Old git

Focus should be on the Europa Conference League

On 26/01/2022 at 23:13, The whole world smiles said:

Not really, we beat Man United at Old Trafford a few days before we beat Chelsea in the final and Sheff United 5 nil a few days before we won the quarter final against man United. 

It's very hard to win games like those against sides like that without taking some kind of form and momentum into them.

Wigan is obviously a bit of a freak on a number of levels and I take your point that it goes against my theory but Wigan didn't prioritise the FA Cup over the league far from it although the fans loved it anyone involved in the business side of it knew the league was the priority that year. 

Fair point. I don’t disagree that momentum is important and that it can have a big impact.

Though, I think that you could still make the case that we had a poor second half to the season and it felt like we were on a downward trajectory (a slump which we still perhaps haven’t recovered from) and that the cup win was quite plucky against this backdrop of bottling top four again. You’re right to point out those victories, although you could argue that we should’ve been putting five past Sheff with the form they were in anyway. 

You could also look to our terrible exit from the Europa that season as well. One might even question whether an extended run in Europe would’ve hampered our chances of winning the FA cup? I know it would’ve been a boost but we could’ve quite easily come away with more fatigue/injuries and/or a more gut-wrenching exit! These things are often multifaceted and so it’s hard to predict I suppose.

I think if possible we should try and compete on multiple fronts but I just think it’s sensible at times to manage the squad in a way so as to maximise your best chances of success. Sometimes that means 100% going for everything but other times it’ll mean being a bit more selective. We are very close to the league being somewhat moot for us and so perhaps we will see attention shifted towards the cups. I would prefer a European cup just for the experience of it but I get why retaining the FA cup would be special as well. I think we will have a better idea about our chances after tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

Probs will win this by default as Randers are poor.

Personally can't see us getting through much further though

Let's be fair, Randers are probably on paper no worse than a mid to lower table championship team, one of which just destroyed us with ease.....

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, TK95 said:

We'll edge past Randers and get humiliated by Celtic. Final gig on Brendan's farewell tour 

Can't play them can we, as we're both unseeded?

We'll beat Randers then lose to whoever in the last 16.

I've got more chance of sleeping with Jennifer Aniston than we have of winning this, any decent team will just focus on hitting us on set pieces, crosses and aerial battles and will pummel us.

28 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Can't play them can we, as we're both unseeded?

We'll beat Randers then lose to whoever in the last 16.

I've got more chance of sleeping with Jennifer Aniston than we have of winning this, any decent team will just focus on hitting us on set pieces, crosses and aerial battles and will pummel us.

We could play them in the QF earliest. No chance of us getting that far. I wouldn't put us past Randers as this point (even though we should be going through comfortably).

• Thanks 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

He has definitely been added, they for some reason just completely missed him off the graphic

Bertrand has been binned.

Guest David Oldfields Gate
24 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Just wondering if Rodgers will say we're overachieving or underachieving when we lose to Randers in humiliating fashion 🤔

...plus some waffle about "physicality" and / or "mentality".