Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Old git

Focus should be on the Europa Conference League

3 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

If we had the majority of squad available I'd say go for it. Winning any games has got to be good for morale & momentum. However improving our league position and status in the eyes of potential new recruits is very important. So not sure we can dilute our best players fitness by chasing the European rejects cup.

I don't think finishing 13th or 8th will make a difference to who we can attract (other than financial benefit). Winning the Conference League would give us European football next year (more money, more of an attraction).

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

If we had the majority of squad available I'd say go for it. Winning any games has got to be good for morale & momentum. However improving our league position and status in the eyes of potential new recruits is very important. So not sure we can dilute our best players fitness by chasing the European rejects cup.

At this point with this manager, these players and this "defence" we are not going to improve our league position. We are finishing in the bottom half regardless of whether we give this competition 'a go'. Resting players for a league game wel almost certainly not win is not a good look.

4 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

8th or 17th no difference really.

7 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League

Playoffs 17/24 February 

Round of 16 10/17 March

Q/Finals 7/14 April

S/Finals 28 April/5 May

Final 22 May 

Even if we get to the final we've got three free weeks to get the postponed matches in. FA Cup doesn't hinder us now.

9 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...there is a financial difference between 8th and 17th, we could bring in a player for the difference!!!

It's really not a lot. It works out at about £2m per position, so up to ~£20m difference. Chances are we'll be somewhere in the middle of that, so any 'loss' in prize money through the league is negligible. If we can put together a few good performances in the ECL then that can be easily recouped, ESPECIALLY if we win the damn thing which would get us into Europa again and net us an additional appearance fee for that minimum, and do a lot more to help us seal the deal with new players at the level we're aiming for. 

I said not long after the Fofana injury, that I'd settle for midtable and a good go at the cups. I thought that was realistic, if a little unambitious.

Well, the two domestic cups went with a whimper and whilst the league position is midtable, it's starting to get more uncomfortable. I really don't know whether the best thing is to concentrate on the league and put out a team we hope will advance against Randers, or whether we should be going all out for this. 

I just can't see us being good enough to win this trophy, so it would be foolhardy to risk too much in this tie.

In summary, fvck knows really, but any win, anywhere would be good for morale I guess.

3 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

What is even the point of this league. Absolute waste of effort and resources. 

Our best way back into Europe next season for a start. Looking at the clubs into the last 16 already:

LASK 9th in Austrian League

Gent 5th in Belgium

Roma 7th in Italy

AZ 5th in Holland

Feyenoord 3rd in Holland 

Copenhagen 2nd in Denmark 

Basel 2nd in Switzerland 

Rennes 5th in France

Nothing is certain in football and we’ve had games in Europe over the past couple of years we should have won. But on that list there is certainly nothing to fear. Especially over 2 legs. 
Marseille, Celtic and PSV the stand outs in the knock out qualifiers. 
When we play our best, and with the locked of Fofana, Justin and Vardy back in, I see no reason why we can’t give this comp a real good go.

• Like 3