Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Old git

Focus should be on the Europa Conference League

Guest David Oldfields Gate
1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing. I already really miss following city abroad...

Guest Chocolate Teapot
28 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Some memories made certainly.

Can you go back and blur my mates face out too please, don't see why he gets to miss out on the fun.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

A rough check indicates that of the 12 teams in European semi finals this season, only one is not involved in European football next season ….

I remember when UEFA was doing one it's rejiggling the Champions League qualifications ideas, one was to guarantee qualification to teams that made it to the later rounds of the competitions (in this case, the official said quarterfinals -- I don't think this was ever an official proposal, but he mentioned Leicester City, and said we should have been rewarded for advancing so far).

I think there is something to be said to allow both finalists in the competition to get the "reward" -- the finalists in CL and EL get Champions League (i guess only winners gets pot 1) - and finalists for the Conference get EL. I think this would in some ways improve the integrity of the trophy itself: The teams would be playing to win the competition, as opposed to playing to enter another competition next year.

Of course, for such a competition as Conference League, all the semifinalists should also be rewarded!

Edited by MarriedaLeicesterGirl
I'm an idiot.

1 minute ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I remember when UEFA was doing one it's rejiggling the Champions League qualifications ideas, one was to guarantee qualification to teams that made it to the later rounds of the competitions (in this case, the official said quarterfinals -- I don't think this was ever an official proposal, but he mentioned Leicester City, and said we should have been rewarded for advancing so far). Not to be selfish about it, I think there is something to be said to allow both finalists in the competition to get the "reward" -- the finalists in CL and EL get Champions League (i guess only winners gets pot 1) - and finalists for the Conference get EL. I think this would in some ways improve the integrity of the trophy itself: The teams would be playing to win the competition, as opposed to playing to enter another competition next year.

Personally I don't. I see such a move further strengthening the larger leagues. The integrity should be especially to move away from byes and encourage the quality of other leagues to improve giving them more places in the CL (and soon to be EL). The ideology of the Conference League is to give those leagues the opportunity to succeed and if the final ends up in match-ups like last night, it helps those lesser leagues because the TV deal gets bigger - the revenue is distributed to those teams. 

The stat that St Albans has provided I think is sadly more representative of this dominance rather than anything else. Without going into deep detail, teams are homogeneous in how they dominate domestically and on the continent. Frankfurt is slightly an anomaly as they did what we did; prioritise the European competition and sack off the league (finished 11th). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Personally I don't. I see such a move further strengthening the larger leagues. The integrity should be especially to move away from byes and encourage the quality of other leagues to improve giving them more places in the CL (and soon to be EL). The ideology of the Conference League is to give those leagues the opportunity to succeed and if the final ends up in match-ups like last night, it helps those lesser leagues because the TV deal gets bigger - the revenue is distributed to those teams. 

The stat that St Albans has provided I think is sadly more representative of this dominance rather than anything else. Without going into deep detail, teams are homogeneous in how they dominate domestically and on the continent. Frankfurt is slightly an anomaly as they did what we did; prioritise the European competition and sack off the league (finished 11th). 

I see what you mean, but I still think the big leagues generally are going to get their spots through league rankings in any case. However, this would reward a good European cup run from a team who might not get a group stage spot based on their league. This is especially true with the Europa League and one would think in the future, with the Conference League.

12 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I see what you mean, but I still think the big leagues generally are going to get their spots through league rankings in any case. However, this would reward a good European cup run from a team who might not get a group stage spot based on their league. This is especially true with the Europa League and one would think in the future, with the Conference League.

That's my point though, the status quo largely bar an exception. When teams from small leagues do get to semi-final stage of European competition, they are likely to be dominant of their own smaller league. For example, Rangers are in the CL qualifiers by virtue of their 2nd position in SPL. So it just enters a cycle of the same clubs 'saved' or further securing their dominance. 

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

That's my point though, the status quo largely bar an exception. When teams from small leagues do get to semi-final stage of European competition, they are likely to be dominant of their own smaller league. For example, Rangers are in the CL qualifiers by virtue of their 2nd position in SPL. So it just enters a cycle of the same clubs 'saved' or further securing their dominance. 

Yes, but those small league teams enter the qualifiers, and often don't make the group stages. However, getting into the group stages improve their league's coefficient, making it easier for other teams in those leagues to qualify for European competitions in the future. 

19 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Yes, but those small league teams enter the qualifiers, and often don't make the group stages. However, getting into the group stages improve their league's coefficient, making it easier for other teams in those leagues to qualify for European competitions in the future. 

Two points to that:- 

If any team qualified as you propose via reach Conference League final, they'd still want to try through the Champions League qualifiers due to the greater money than Europa League. 

In question to your second sentence, whose spots are you taking within the competition to give these finalists a place in the competition? 

11 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Two points to that:- 

If any team qualified as you propose via reach Conference League final, they'd still want to try through the Champions League qualifiers due to the greater money than Europa League. 

In question to your second sentence, whose spots are you taking within the competition to give these finalists a place in the competition? 

You are taking someone's spot from the qualifiers. However, if that team isn't from the same league as the "cup run" club, then you have several smaller leagues with average coefficients. If the team who did well one season gets into a group phase, then the coefficient of that league is guaranteed to go up.

10 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

You are taking someone's spot from the qualifiers. However, if that team isn't from the same league as the "cup run" club, then you have several smaller leagues with average coefficients. If the team who did well one season gets into a group phase, then the coefficient of that league is guaranteed to go up.

So in this years example if Leicester made the Europa League final, we take a place of a smaller league? 

The coefficient goes up for the league but the team what did gets prize money way beyond every other team in the league - that’s what the CL has all done, leagues like Bulgaria have Ludogorets who are poor in Europe but dominate the domestic league because they are financed by the prize money that no one else can get. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Enjoyed our Europa Conference League run. We had some great tussles with Rennes, PSV and Roma. Still dissappointed we did not manage to put more of a dent in the Roma defence.

Also we had some rotten draw luck with every single 2-legged tie ending with the away fixture.