Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

Head losses following a lack of leadership/calming voice.

13 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I've never known a team implode when in such comfortable, secure positions before.

This goes beyond injuries or "success being a disease" as Rodgers likes to say. This about mentality, and after 3 years in charge the manage has to take full ownership of that mentality.

I think that’s fair.

17 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Nottingham Forest (a) 6th February 2022

We conceded 3 goals in 9 minutes including twice in 81 seconds

Spurs (h) 19th January 2022

We conceded 2 goals in 1 minute to lose the game in injury time.

Man City (a) 26th December 2021

We conceded 4 goals in 15 minutes including two penalties.

Liverpool (a) 22nd December 2021

We didn't touch the ball for about 20 minutes at the end of the game and conceded with virtually the last kick.

Chelsea (h) 20th November 2021

We conceded from another set piece before going on to be completely battered. 2nd goal kills us off 15 minutes later.

Arsenal (h) 30th October 2021

Lose the game within the first 20 minutes with two completely avoidable goals.

Palace (a) 3 October 2021

Throw away a two goal lead with 11 minutes of madness. Two completely avoidable goals.

Brighton (a) 19th September 2021

Two simple goals either side of half time make a comeback almost impossible despite a good effort. 

Napoli (h) 16th September 2021

Two late goals to throw away a 2-0 lead. Eventually cost us our place in the RO16. Stupid red card from Ndidi.

West Ham (a) 23rd August 2021

Two 15 minutes of madness here. 1st half go behind and a man down and in the second half throw away a fightback with ridiculous defending.

Spurs (h) 23rd May 2021

3 goals in 15 minutes to throw away the Champions League despite Chelsea giftwrapping it to us.

Newcastle (h) 7th May 2021

We went 4-0 down against Newcastle at home in a must win game.

West Ham (a) 11th April 2021

Three goals in 15 minutes to lose the game despite a good attempt at a comeback in the second half.

Arsenal (h) 28th February 2021

Three goals in 15 minutes either side of half time to lose the game from a winning position.

Prague (h) 25th February 2021

Lost the game against a very poor team with completely avoidable goals in the 2nd half.

Leeds (h) 31st January 2021

Two simple goals to lose the game in the last 15 minutes of the game despite being in a winning position.

Fulham (h) 30th November 2020

Two simple goals within 8 minutes of each other to lose the game in the first half against a shit Fulham team.

West Ham (h) 4th October 2020

Lose the game in the first half against an out of sorts West Ham when we were flying. Two easy goals.

Man United (h) 26th July 2020

Lose the game (and UCL qualification) as well as a ridiculous red card in the last 15 minutes against United.

Spurs (a) 19th July 2020

Shocking defending leads to three simple Spurs goals for us to lose a must-not-lose game by the 40th minute.

Bournemouth (a) 12th July 2020

Arguably the worst head loss i've ever seen from a football team. Lost 4-1 to relegation favourites including a ridiculous red card.

Everton (a) 1st July 2020

Two goals down after 16 minutes. Lost the game and a lot of momentum.

Watford (a) 20th June 2020

Absolutely no concentration in the last minute at a corner. Drew a game we should have won comfortably.

Can't be arsed going further. These all occurred since project restart.

That is absolutely shocking when laid bare like this. Awful, awful that we’ve just conceded points in so many games when all that was required was a strong mentality. We haven’t progressed at all really.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

We didn't touch the ball for about 20 minutes at the end of the game and conceded with virtually the last kick.

We conceded from another set piece before going on to be completely battered. 2nd goal kills us off 15 minutes later.

Throw away a two goal lead with 11 minutes of madness. Two completely avoidable goals.

Two simple goals either side of half time make a comeback almost impossible despite a good effort. 

Two late goals to throw away a 2-0 lead. Eventually cost us our place in the RO16. Stupid red card from Ndidi.

Two 15 minutes of madness here. 1st half go behind and a man down and in the second half throw away a fightback with ridiculous defending.

Spurs (h) 23rd May 2021

3 goals in 15 minutes to throw away the Champions League despite Chelsea giftwrapping it to us.

Three goals in 15 minutes to lose the game despite a good attempt at a comeback in the second half.

Three goals in 15 minutes either side of half time to lose the game from a winning position.

Lost the game against a very poor team with completely avoidable goals in the 2nd half.

Two simple goals to lose the game in the last 15 minutes of the game despite being in a winning position.

Two simple goals within 8 minutes of each other to lose the game in the first half against a shit Fulham team.

Lose the game in the first half against an out of sorts West Ham when we were flying. Two easy goals.

Lose the game (and UCL qualification) as well as a ridiculous red card in the last 15 minutes against United.

Spurs (a) 19th July 2020

Shocking defending leads to three simple Spurs goals for us to lose a must-not-lose game by the 40th minute.

Arguably the worst head loss i've ever seen from a football team. Lost 4-1 to relegation favourites including a ridiculous red card.

Absolutely no concentration in the last minute at a corner. Drew a game we should have won comfortably.

Good grief. 

In fairness its not all on rodgers. Some players just genuinely dont like pressure and I dont necessarily blame him for all of the moments. You have to look at the flipside as well and look at how resolute we were against liverpool a few games ago? Or in the fa cup final. The comeback against man city and liverpool. 

The games that fully fall on Rodgers, are the ones where the players were doing well and he’s tinkered. I look at Bournemouth and Newcastle I’m different lights but both were pivotal. Newcastle simply wanted it more and our players were a nervous wreck... Bournemouth, we were comfortably battering then and Rodgers completely let them down by adjusting things because he was a nervous wreck. 

There are of course fantastic times amongst it where we did execute a game plan perfectly. 

However, after 2 years if our manager doesnt address the lack of  the right mentality in the squad then it falls on him. Soyuncu could be the best player youve ever seen for 90% of a season... I still guarantee you that when in a high pressure situation the chance of him messing up is about 85%. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Spurs (h) 23rd May 2021

Spurs (a) 19th July 2020

The most informative,  truthful, yet horrible, post, I've read 

• Like 2

When you list it out, it’s actually shocking to read.

I’d be interested to know what % of those games had Soyuncu in as I’m sure he’s been the least injured out of our back 4/5. Not one for scapegoating but boy does he buckle under pressure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Only one I wouldn’t include is Brighton away in September, VAR / Ref absolutely railed us that game

The rest is disgraceful

Tbf Arsenal at home also. Ramsdale had the game of his life.

• Like 1

The worst thing is that we are now the bottlers when it's something we could get over on Spurs. We have taken their trophy! 

It is a glaring issue. 

For all the leaders we supposedly have on the pitch, they certainly don't show it? What's that leadership group doing? Schmeichel, Vardy, Evans, Maddison, Youri? They are key cogs in the side - where were they on these days of implosions? 

It'll get worse if Kasper, Vardy and Evans aren't replaced properly. 

I think it also relates to being too nice as a team. We don't have enough bad apples, so to speak. Vardy used to be it but not so much any more. 

The best teams have at least 1 or 2 that will basically do the dirty work and commit those nasty fouls. Take one for the team, for instance. No one doing those tactical fouls. Liverpool have Fabinho and Henderson, Man City have Rodrigo, previously Fernandinho. Chelsea have Jorginho, Kovacic, Thiago Silva. Even Arsenal have Xhaka. 

We have no-one doing that dirty side of the job on the pitch like the others above do. Too many players fearful of a hard tackle here and there. Maybe Ndidi is the only physical one we have, and Albrighton not afraid to put his body on the line. 

16 minutes ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

Losing 5-1 at Forest under Pearson in 2009 was a genuine shock. Even for the whole season we were rooted to the bottom of the Premier League table in 2014 / 2015, we still never got beat by more than a 2 goal margin. 

Capitulating and getting smashed under Rodgers is becoming a regular occurrence and doesn't even come as a surprise anymore. I've never seen a team so mentality weak, as soon as we are pressed high or conceded an early goal, heads just drop and we completely fold.  

Is it?

Capitulating, I agree with, but "getting smashed" ? 

I would consider the following results as a hammering over the past three seasons;

This season: West Ham 4-1, Chelsea 0-2, Man City 3-6

20/21: West Ham 0-3, Liverpool 0-3, Spurs 2-4

19/20: Liverpool 0-4, Man City 1-3, Bournemouth 1-4, Spurs 0-3

But on the other hand I think we've handed out our fair share of hammerings too. Again, I'd consider the following as games we dominated;

This season: Man Utd 4-2, Newcastle 4-0

20/21: WBA 3-0, Burnley 4-2, Man City 5-2, Leeds 4-1, Brighton 3-0, Liverpool 3-1, Sheffield Utd 5-0, WBA 3-0

19/20: Newcastle 5-0, Southampton 9-0, Villa 4-1, Newcastle 3-0, West Ham 4-1, Villa 4-0, Sheffield Utd 2-0 (we battered Sheff Utd that day, could have been 4 or 5)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Is it?

Capitulating, I agree with, but "getting smashed" ? 

I would consider the following results as a hammering over the past three seasons;

This season: West Ham 4-1, Chelsea 0-2, Man City 3-6

20/21: West Ham 0-3, Liverpool 0-3, Spurs 2-4

19/20: Liverpool 0-4, Man City 1-3, Bournemouth 1-4, Spurs 0-3

But on the other hand I think we've handed out our fair share of hammerings too. Again, I'd consider the following as games we dominated;

This season: Man Utd 4-2, Newcastle 4-0

20/21: WBA 3-0, Burnley 4-2, Man City 5-2, Leeds 4-1, Brighton 3-0, Liverpool 3-1, Sheffield Utd 5-0, WBA 3-0

19/20: Newcastle 5-0, Southampton 9-0, Villa 4-1, Newcastle 3-0, West Ham 4-1, Villa 4-0, Sheffield Utd 2-0 (we battered Sheff Utd that day, could have been 4 or 5)

So what, we pumped a fair amount of the leagues dross which is somehow a defence of Rodgers’ abysmal track record of bottling’s?  

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Spurs (h) 23rd May 2021

Spurs (a) 19th July 2020

Yes we've finished 5th twice and yes we've won the FA Cup but how are we accepting this ? Brendan has been an important cog in our development but he's being given good resources - he isnt the only reason for our progress. 

This is unacceptable for any team. He cant fix it and we've now become accustomed to it. That's not right.  

• Like 2

What a painful read! That said, some of those results I wouldn't call capitulations but there are still far too many. 

Some have started with major mistakes by a player, like Kasper's vs Bournemouth and Spurs, but they've not shown any resilience to recover from the blow.

It's like when an error is made, the players just can't handle it and get it out of their system.

Soy is one particular example of this - how many times does he lose his head when we get knocked back? 

Edited by lcfc_forever