Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

Head losses following a lack of leadership/calming voice.

19 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

A lot of the capitulations can be summarised as we can't defend set pieces, other teams know it and we can't do anything when they exploit it.

Oh to be able to sign someone like 2015 vintage Huth.

Doesnt Rodgers know how to train a defense to get them organised and eliminate these errors?

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I think what gets me most is not just the regularity of it, but also the fact that often when a team has implosions like we have there something of a reset, a realisation. The players band together and realise that it's not on it can't happen again and really push to not do it again next game. That doesn't happen here, we just do it week after week. That Forest implosion coming so soon after falling apart against Spurs in criminal. That Spurs game should have focused minds, instead it's just lead to another similar display.

Yep. It's habitual crumbling. Like I said in another thread - would you put it past this side to lose 0-4 to Norwich? I think we can lose to Randers.

Having watched the weekend I'm quite convinced we'd have gone out to Kidderminster or Boreham Wood.

We have the widest range of performance of any team in football. I am convinced no other side are capable of such highs or such lows.

The fine margins in elite level sport is pretty much all mindset in my opinion (to an extent). Look across the Aylestone Road at the Tigers, couldn’t buy a win for two years. Now a coach who has instilled mental resilience and they’ve won three games this season with the last play of the match, flying at the top of the league with near enough the same group of players. Someone like Conte has and will instill it at Spurs, Stevie G has at Villa, I’m not sure our Brendan has that in his locker. 

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

The worst thing is that we are now the bottlers when it's something we could get over on Spurs. We have taken their trophy! " Until they actually win something, thats completely false. 

It was light hearted quip about their lack of trophies. 

Rodgers is good at talking his way out of the situation and tells us what we want to hear but then does the exact opposite with his team selections.

More aggression, greater tempo, positive mentality, but then the setup for how he starts and manages the games shows the complete opposite.

I don't get it.  Does he?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Nottingham Forest (a) 6th February 2022

We conceded 3 goals in 9 minutes including twice in 81 seconds

Spurs (h) 19th January 2022

We conceded 2 goals in 1 minute to lose the game in injury time.

Man City (a) 26th December 2021

We conceded 4 goals in 15 minutes including two penalties.

Liverpool (a) 22nd December 2021

We didn't touch the ball for about 20 minutes at the end of the game and conceded with virtually the last kick.

Chelsea (h) 20th November 2021

We conceded from another set piece before going on to be completely battered. 2nd goal kills us off 15 minutes later.

Arsenal (h) 30th October 2021

Lose the game within the first 20 minutes with two completely avoidable goals.

Palace (a) 3 October 2021

Throw away a two goal lead with 11 minutes of madness. Two completely avoidable goals.

Brighton (a) 19th September 2021

Two simple goals either side of half time make a comeback almost impossible despite a good effort. 

Napoli (h) 16th September 2021

Two late goals to throw away a 2-0 lead. Eventually cost us our place in the RO16. Stupid red card from Ndidi.

West Ham (a) 23rd August 2021

Two 15 minutes of madness here. 1st half go behind and a man down and in the second half throw away a fightback with ridiculous defending.

Spurs (h) 23rd May 2021

3 goals in 15 minutes to throw away the Champions League despite Chelsea giftwrapping it to us.

Newcastle (h) 7th May 2021

We went 4-0 down against Newcastle at home in a must win game.

West Ham (a) 11th April 2021

Three goals in 15 minutes to lose the game despite a good attempt at a comeback in the second half.

Arsenal (h) 28th February 2021

Three goals in 15 minutes either side of half time to lose the game from a winning position.

Prague (h) 25th February 2021

Lost the game against a very poor team with completely avoidable goals in the 2nd half.

Leeds (h) 31st January 2021

Two simple goals to lose the game in the last 15 minutes of the game despite being in a winning position.

Fulham (h) 30th November 2020

Two simple goals within 8 minutes of each other to lose the game in the first half against a shit Fulham team.

West Ham (h) 4th October 2020

Lose the game in the first half against an out of sorts West Ham when we were flying. Two easy goals.

Man United (h) 26th July 2020

Lose the game (and UCL qualification) as well as a ridiculous red card in the last 15 minutes against United.

Spurs (a) 19th July 2020

Shocking defending leads to three simple Spurs goals for us to lose a must-not-lose game by the 40th minute.

Bournemouth (a) 12th July 2020

Arguably the worst head loss i've ever seen from a football team. Lost 4-1 to relegation favourites including a ridiculous red card.

Everton (a) 1st July 2020

Two goals down after 16 minutes. Lost the game and a lot of momentum.

Watford (a) 20th June 2020

Absolutely no concentration in the last minute at a corner. Drew a game we should have won comfortably.

Can't be arsed going further. These all occurred since project restart.

Yeh but we won the FA cup

2 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Only after we'd turned up like a pub side and thrown the game away in the first 20 minutes though.

Not denying it but we more possession, more shots, more shots on target.

Slow starts have been an issue for us and that was an example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

After being 1 - 0 at half time and making inexplicable tactical and personnel changes at the break. Two of the goals and a red card came in about 90 seconds with less than half hour remaining.

I’m not a Rodgers out guy but him taking Iheanacho off after absolutely dominating that first half was a monumental cock up

It’s laughable. Imagine what it’d be like if we had fans in the ground for some of these collapses? Bournemouth away, 4-0 down at home to Newcastle, a full ground vs Spurs last season?

He’s gotten away with a lot.

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

After being 1 - 0 at half time and making inexplicable tactical and personnel changes at the break. Two of the goals and a red card came in about 90 seconds with less than half hour remaining.

I think Bournemouth hadn’t won in about 10 before that as well.

Within that list there are about 8-10 once-a-season level humiliations. And that is in 18 months.

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

I think Bournemouth hadn’t won in about 10 before that as well.

Within that list there are about 8-10 once-a-season level humiliations. And that is in 18 months.

Weren't they Solanke's first professional goals or something absurd? 

• Haha 1

There is a worrying pattern of losing leads and losing our heads during Rodger’s tenure in the last 18 months. I feel that much of this is down to the character of the players and the profile of player that has been recruited.

I am amazed that Rodger’s recruited Vestergaard and then quickly afterwards bemoaned not having the right profile of defender. After three years the squad is now in Rodger’s image. If we don’t have aggressive defenders who win the ball in the air, then whose responsibility is that?

Across the pitch we have technical players who are great when not under pressure. When it becomes a battle on the pitch we crumble. In fairness Rodger’s did acknowledge this when he signed Soumare but that signing hasn’t worked yet.

However we need more players who will battle. Ask yourself which of our players you would want beside you in the trenches? Not many of our current 11! 

Compare our title winning seasons or the Martin O’Neil years to now. Almost every player to a man in those teams would fight. We can afford one luxury creative player (ie Mahrez or Izzet) but the others must dig in, otherwise the balance is wrong. In our 11 we have Barnes, Maddison, Tielemans, Nacho, and arguably others who don’t contribute to the physical

aspect of the game.

We also miss the warrior types of Morgan, Huth, Fuchs, Walsh, Taggart, Elliot. Leaders and players who will defend at all costs.

Edited by Steve Agnew

5 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Nottingham Forest (a) 6th February 2022

We conceded 3 goals in 9 minutes including twice in 81 seconds

Liverpool (a) 22nd December 2021

We didn't touch the ball for about 20 minutes at the end of the game and conceded with virtually the last kick.

Napoli (h) 16th September 2021

Two late goals to throw away a 2-0 lead. Eventually cost us our place in the RO16. Stupid red card from Ndidi.

Spurs (h) 23rd May 2021

3 goals in 15 minutes to throw away the Champions League despite Chelsea giftwrapping it to us.

Newcastle (h) 7th May 2021

We went 4-0 down against Newcastle at home in a must win game.

Prague (h) 25th February 2021

Lost the game against a very poor team with completely avoidable goals in the 2nd half.

Man United (h) 26th July 2020

Lose the game (and UCL qualification) as well as a ridiculous red card in the last 15 minutes against United.

Kasper getting dispossessed by Lingaard

Spurs (a) 19th July 2020

Shocking defending leads to three simple Spurs goals for us to lose a must-not-lose game by the 40th minute.

Bournemouth (a) 12th July 2020

Arguably the worst head loss i've ever seen from a football team. Lost 4-1 to relegation favourites including a ridiculous red card.

What a damning list of performances/results, when you take away the “standard” league games out of your list and look solely at games that had real significance in run-ins & cups, the performances get even worse!!!! 

I would add Napoli away to the above btw, against a Napoli “B” team, getting back in the game only to throw it away again. Another gutless, pathetic showing!

We have zero composure and as everyone has said in this thread, we have multiple players literally cack their pants when any kind of pressure rides on a game.

I posted several times a couple of seasons back, and on occasions since, that we lack what we call in the valleys, 'dog'. Players with the right degree of fight in them who relish being in a scrap. Leaders who get stuck in when things get tough. We are far too nice all round, Kasper and Vardy possibly aside. It's why we've witnessed those horrifying capitulations in specific games and faded twice badly to 5th from top 4 positions. An outfield 'captain' with that in them is a must. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 2