Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

Head losses following a lack of leadership/calming voice.

That Newcastle home game where Perez got the winner in his first season, where we could have put the pressure on the European places with a win was a sign of things to come looking back.

Got totally outfought by an average Newcastle side and Rodgers got completely done over tactically by Benitez that night 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

You'll never sort this by signing a leader on the pitch btw, even if we signed 2 or 3 of them, we'd still have these issues, it stems from the manager.

People like Kasper, Cags, Ndidi, Iheanacho, Tielemans and Amartey are old enough and have played enough to be the leaders and commanders we need, obviously not all will be up to it but two or three definitely should be, yet when we go a goal or two down, they're the worse for going into their shell and doing nothing about it.

....that only goes to prove that they are not leaders!!!

Get a leader on the pitch and he will implement the managers wishes and if it is not working because he believes the manager has got it wrong, he goes across and speaks to the manager and then effect a change all by himself. Leaders do not tend to be yes men, I really do not think an independent thinking player who contradicts Rodgers is someone he will wish to bring into the squad.

The players are what they are, because Rodgers need them to be that way, the usual refrain is "...we are too nice" and that comes with a certain kind of mindset.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ricey said:

I've never known a team implode when in such comfortable, secure positions before.

This goes beyond injuries or "success being a disease" as Rodgers likes to say. This about mentality, and after 3 years in charge the manage has to take full ownership of that mentality.

The signs were there as early as that Bournemouth game and definitely that West Brom game. A minority of us already highlighted the issue was with Rodgers back then though we got shot down. Fast forward to now, the damage may now be irreversible.

He blamed Puel before and now the players. I hope despite whatever he says in the media, he actually realizes his problems. Otherwise there is no way back and the damage can be permanently destructive sending us back to the lower end of the league when we all know our squad is definitely much better than that (despite Rodgers claiming they are not top players and need a squad overhaul).

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Nottingham Forest (a) 6th February 2022

We conceded 3 goals in 9 minutes including twice in 81 seconds

Spurs (h) 19th January 2022

We conceded 2 goals in 1 minute to lose the game in injury time.

Man City (a) 26th December 2021

We conceded 4 goals in 15 minutes including two penalties.

Liverpool (a) 22nd December 2021

We didn't touch the ball for about 20 minutes at the end of the game and conceded with virtually the last kick.

Chelsea (h) 20th November 2021

We conceded from another set piece before going on to be completely battered. 2nd goal kills us off 15 minutes later.

Arsenal (h) 30th October 2021

Lose the game within the first 20 minutes with two completely avoidable goals.

Palace (a) 3 October 2021

Throw away a two goal lead with 11 minutes of madness. Two completely avoidable goals.

Brighton (a) 19th September 2021

Two simple goals either side of half time make a comeback almost impossible despite a good effort. 

Napoli (h) 16th September 2021

Two late goals to throw away a 2-0 lead. Eventually cost us our place in the RO16. Stupid red card from Ndidi.

West Ham (a) 23rd August 2021

Two 15 minutes of madness here. 1st half go behind and a man down and in the second half throw away a fightback with ridiculous defending.

Spurs (h) 23rd May 2021

3 goals in 15 minutes to throw away the Champions League despite Chelsea giftwrapping it to us.

Newcastle (h) 7th May 2021

We went 4-0 down against Newcastle at home in a must win game.

West Ham (a) 11th April 2021

Three goals in 15 minutes to lose the game despite a good attempt at a comeback in the second half.

Arsenal (h) 28th February 2021

Three goals in 15 minutes either side of half time to lose the game from a winning position.

Prague (h) 25th February 2021

Lost the game against a very poor team with completely avoidable goals in the 2nd half.

Leeds (h) 31st January 2021

Two simple goals to lose the game in the last 15 minutes of the game despite being in a winning position.

Fulham (h) 30th November 2020

Two simple goals within 8 minutes of each other to lose the game in the first half against a shit Fulham team.

West Ham (h) 4th October 2020

Lose the game in the first half against an out of sorts West Ham when we were flying. Two easy goals.

Man United (h) 26th July 2020

Lose the game (and UCL qualification) as well as a ridiculous red card in the last 15 minutes against United.

Spurs (a) 19th July 2020

Shocking defending leads to three simple Spurs goals for us to lose a must-not-lose game by the 40th minute.

Bournemouth (a) 12th July 2020

Arguably the worst head loss i've ever seen from a football team. Lost 4-1 to relegation favourites including a ridiculous red card.

Everton (a) 1st July 2020

Two goals down after 16 minutes. Lost the game and a lot of momentum.

Watford (a) 20th June 2020

Absolutely no concentration in the last minute at a corner. Drew a game we should have won comfortably.

Can't be arsed going further. These all occurred since project restart.

Oh and these "blow-ups" cost us Champs League participation twice....

Rodgers is too soft…. Essentially we’ve the head of a T-Rex and the body of a kitten…. It’s been his issue where ever he’s gone, he’s created ‘pretty sides’ but they lack Steele and lack a backbone. 

And I don’t trust him to rebuild this side, because we will simply get the same sort of players in. 

16 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

In fairness its not all on rodgers. 

However, after 2 years if our manager doesnt address the lack of  the right mentality in the squad then it falls on him. 

Covering all bases in one post? :D

• Like 1

I think we see again that after 3 years Rodgers weakness comes to the fore.  He has never been able to sustain success in any of his roles.  He doesn't seem to like players who are strong and hold things together.  He got lucky with Gerrard at Liverpool, mainly because he was undroppable.

• Like 2

Ffs I had managed to suppress the memories of half those games. It's all come flooding back.

Honestly it's pretty impressive the amount of times we've fallen apart over the years. Leicester under Rodgers is the only team I could see being 4-0 up and still be on edge. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MattFox said:

That Newcastle home game where Perez got the winner in his first season, where we could have put the pressure on the European places with a win was a sign of things to come looking back.

Got totally outfought by an average Newcastle side and Rodgers got completely done over tactically by Benitez that night 

Speaking of Newcastle, it was actually quite refreshing watching them last night when they were 2-1 up and still looking to attack. Could've scored 4 or 5 in the end. 

Feels like if that was Rodgers at the minute he'd have subbed Saint-Maximin off for Dan Burn as soon as the second goal went in. 

Edited by EnderbyFox
  • Like 1

Other than Rodgers, obviously.

The one person who first springs to my mind in all of these capitulations is Soyuncu. He's not even a *really* bad player but the guy is a headless chicken with a temper that he doesn't use in the right way. Really hope we sell him on.

Edited by ren

2 minutes ago, ren said:

Other than Rodgers, obviously.

The one person who first springs to my mind in all of these capitulations is Soyuncu. He's not even a *really* bad player but the guy is a headless chicken with a temper that he doesn't use in the right way. Really hope we sell him on.

Soyuncu has been tragic for the most part since 2020 rolled in and is managing to get progressively worse. Unwatchable at the moment.

Luckily, I still think his stock is higher with people that don't have the misfortune of watching him every week. His contract situation might mean we don't get huge money but I reckon we could flog for a decent sum.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Langston said:

Soyuncu has been tragic for the most part since 2020 rolled in and is managing to get progressively worse. Unwatchable at the moment.

Luckily, I still think his stock is higher with people that don't have the misfortune of watching him every week. His contract situation might mean we don't get huge money but I reckon we could flog for a decent sum.

This. Soy has also been at the heart of most of these capitulations, his head goes far too often. Even more so without Evans next to him. 

18 minutes ago, Langston said:

He's dined off the reputation he built up during the 19/20 season up to project restart.

He was genuinely brilliant during that season but as soon as we came back from the covid break he's been shit.

18 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is the most depressing thread on the forum at the moment. The first post genuinely makes me feel angry just reading it!

The crazy thing is when we won the league our mental fortitude was brilliant. Think we miss players like Huth and Fuchs big time. 

Sadly I think even if you stick players like Huth and Fuchs in this team we'd have the same problem, it must come from elsewhere other than the players, because these players have been captains, they're experienced, they have won things (here and elsewhere) and they know the score.