Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Bernie - A Leicester City Legend, RIP

8 hours ago, Lako42 said:

RIP Bernie 

Seems like he was one thing that was a constant in my entire time supporting the club. 

Not many characters like him about these days

Unbelievably true, ah what a character.

Nobody could doubt his passion for Leicester city. Through the good times and the bad certainly apply to Bernie. 

RIP, huge lasting legacy left! 

2 hours ago, Lesterlad said:

It is sad that he has passed away and yes he was a city fanatic. Only memories I’ve got of him over last 10 years was smelly, drunk vile man who shouldn’t of been allowed in to the ground. Yes I know I’ll get grief but wasn’t a city legend he was a Piss head. But saying that it is sad he has passed away 

You might get grief for saying this but I do agree to some extent. Smelly, drunk and obscene are all words that come to mind when it comes to Bernie. Legend or not it was very unpleasant to have to spend time in close proximity to him. You wouldn't be happy if he sat next to you on a train and he was the sort of person that would scare young kids and put them off wanting to see the footy.

However you have to ask how he got in this state in the first place, after by all accounts being a perfectly respectable individual in his younger years, which is really sad, he was certifiably insane in many ways. He must have had a difficult life, mental health problems, or a serious drug or alcohol habit which presumably turned him into the state he was.

Either way RIP Bernie.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

You might get grief for saying this but I do agree to some extent. Smelly, drunk and obscene are all words that come to mind when it comes to Bernie. Legend or not it was very unpleasant to have to spend time in close proximity to him. You wouldn't be happy if he sat next to you on a train and he was the sort of person that would scare young kids and put them off wanting to see the footy.

However you have to ask how he got in this state in the first place, after by all accounts being a perfectly respectable individual in his younger years, which is really sad, he was certifiably insane in many ways. He must have had a difficult life, mental health problems, or a serious drug or alcohol habit which presumably turned him into the state he was.

Either way RIP Bernie.

comes with following the city

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

If you can't say something nice then maybe you should shut your mouth.

No one wants to hear it especially whilst his body is still warm. 

Absolutely agree. We all know he had his moments but he practically dedicated his life to the cause, way before anyone else too.

Think everyone who was a regular or semi regular down at Leicester has come across Bernie at sometime. Either shouting at away fans, or just shouting randomly at anything that moved or even didn't move. And he was obviously a regular at away games too causing havoc. Obviously had his issues, as many people do, but he always remembered his love for the club, he always knew when we were playing and who we were playing, usually so he could tell them to **** off.

There'll never be another Bernie, and despite what some have said about it not always being pleasant being in the vicinity of him, it's characters like him we all remember. Most of saw him, not many of us actually knew him, but we all knew of him.

RIP Bernie.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

I remember Scunthorpe away where some seats afforded you a view of a pillar and not much else. There was Bernie, behind a pillar and enthusiastically hurling abuse directly at the pillar as though it were a sentient being whilst completely unable to see the match. 

Prior to that I recall a misjudged half time segment with The Birch inviting Bernie onto the pitch. He’d driven past Bernie and thought it’d be interesting to interview him. As we can all now guess the interview was about as successful as you’d expect. The Birch quickly abandoned it and let Bernie just march up and down the pitch in his tartan flared trousers demonstrating to us all how to walk. 

I remember Bernie on the pitch at Filbert street, some lunatic being paraded who walks from quorn every week lol.

Bumped into him a few times and had a couple of weird conversations  with him but a true blue.

Glad he was alive to see us  during our most amazing seasons I  history and winning all domestic honours.

I'm sure akpt of his antics were a show at time.

RIP Bernie.

Edited by Raj

50 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

Prior to that I recall a misjudged half time segment with The Birch inviting Bernie onto the pitch. He’d driven past Bernie and thought it’d be interesting to interview him. As we can all now guess the interview was about as successful as you’d expect. The Birch quickly abandoned it and let Bernie just march up and down the pitch in his tartan flared trousers demonstrating to us all how to walk. 

I've read a few comments from folk who saw him walking to the match.

Seems everyone loved him but not enough to stop and give the fella a lift.

15 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I've read a few comments from folk who saw him walking to the match.

Seems everyone loved him but not enough to stop and give the fella a lift.

The Birch made the mistake of offering. Bernie said no. The ‘compromise’ was for Bernie to be the halftime entertainment. 

• Like 1