Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OntarioFox

LCFC - West Ham Post Match Thread 2-2

13 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Moyes disappointed with a point and thinks they were completely on top. Not sure what game he was watching. They were dreadful, only ever looked like scoring if we gave it to them to counter. 

Don't think they created a single quality chance from open play other than going route one for the goal? 

Moyes is basically a Scottish Big Sam. Awful hoofball football played by a team full of giants. His post match comments were bordering on parody.

Just now, MalletFox said:

Aways has been and always will be. He’s a club legend for sure, but we’ll have an opportunity soon to get that commanding keeper that we desperately need. Preferably one that’s competent of coming of their line in open play too.

He is and always will be a legend, but he wants to go and get CL football (Guess a lesser CL club, maybe Copenhagen?) and he is 34, so now may be that time.  :(

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If you really believe this then you’ve got an agenda …..

if you see my previous posts I said I didn't know if vestegaard could get to the ball or was at fault, I still not sure but looking at replay several times kasper does push him in the back which would say he was in the way? There's people on here slagging kasper off for not being pro active in the box. What's your take?

10 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Moyes is basically a Scottish Big Sam. Awful hoofball football played by a team full of giants. His post match comments were bordering on parody.

No points whatsoever in this game for style. They may be a supercharged Burnley but if it works for them don't knock it. I often get nostalgic for the MON days.

Guest Col city fan
11 minutes ago, blueharmie said:

True but his teams don't self implode and defend like 7 year old school girls. 

That’s the difference isn’t it

Rodgers teams are so weak-willed it’s unbelievable 

If you turn it around yesterday and it was West Ham 2-1 up and looking to defend a lead, they’d have just seen the game out with strength and organisation

We did the same thing YET AGAIN.. went up, didn’t believe in ourselves, stupidly kept attacking 🤷‍♂️ and eventually succumbed to the late goal

We are the most ‘savvy less’ City team in years 

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

He is and always will be a legend, but he wants to go and get CL football (Guess a lesser CL club, maybe Copenhagen?) and he is 34, so now may be that time.  :(

I think it works equally well for both parties tbh. His shot stopping is absolutely superb, however for a ‘possession based team’ his distribution and starting position are real weaknesses aswell as the obvious commanding of the area. 

I wonder if Vesty is any good with gloves on 👀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

if you see my previous posts I said I didn't know if vestegaard could get to the ball or was at fault, I still not sure but looking at replay several times kasper does push him in the back which would say he was in the way? There's people on here slagging kasper off for not being pro active in the box. What's your take?

Vestergaard was done before he has started really, the fact he came from that 9-0 side, did him before he arrived meant he had no wriggle room, so anything other than perfection and he gets slated and it gone downhill from there!

Schmiechel is a legend, and the word is deserved this time, but he does not command his area, he is definitely a factor in our continued conceding of goals at set pieces.

• Like 1

The problem is that they brought in the t shirt clarification to stop situations where the very top of the arm/shoulder being used was considered handball.

This made sense as there was often a grey area as to whether the ball had struck the arm or the shoulder, so the benefit of the doubt was being given to the “offender”. But the way they’ve chosen to interpret it means they’ve just shifted the grey area nine inches down the arm which is stupid beyond belief - if any of the ball touches your bicep surely it’s far enough away from the shoulder to show that it’s clearly a handball in the way that handball is understood by 99% of football fans.

It also doesn’t help that from where Oliver was there is no way on earth that he’s giving that as handball, he just can’t see it properly. So the VAR has indisputably a better view of it but has to go with Oliver as Oliver’s guess (which is basically just going with the easiest thing which is to award the goal) is borderline defensible.

This was, unfortunately for us, a combination of a poorly worded law and the continuing failings of VAR - which even when offering a pretty conclusive view that the referee may be wrong won’t do interfere if the referee’s poor view of the original incident has resulted in a decision that even a small minority of referees would agree with.

What I would say is that it’s nice to get to the end of a game and be more disappointed with the officials than the coaching and playing staff!

1 minute ago, MalletFox said:

I think it works equally well for both parties tbh. His shot stopping is absolutely superb, however for a ‘possession based team’ his distribution and starting position are real weaknesses aswell as the obvious commanding of the area. 

I wonder if Vesty is any good with gloves on 👀

......well he is quite tall so that must help, right.....?  lol

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

The players are mentally shot at that point 

a savvy team who are claiming that the ball struck his arm (which several of our players did), have someone go down injured to prevent the restart and then get into the ref about it whilst the coaching staff do the same with the 4th official.  The var and ref are under pressure to get the game restarted without that happening and will almost certainly go with the onfield call in that context.  Give them time to discuss it properly with our continued protests and Oliver may well have decided to view the screen. 

Tongue-in-cheek I'd state that "but Brendan is Mr. Nice".

Fergie had his players schooled in the 'in yer face' gamesmanship. Had the same aituation arisen at a United game, Keane, Scholes and the Nevilles would have swarmed around him like angry wasps. I hated that about United, yet it reaped benefits. I suspect that the next time a ref. officiated at a United game there'd be a nagging fear that it would happen again. It takes a strong character not to succumb to such pressure.

At a crucial juncture like last night's late 'goal', a highly dubious score made off a highly debatable point of the body, your recipe for halting the game would have psychologically isolated the ref. from his intention to progress play. The only City player who does give the ref. a hard time is Schmeichel and he's too far away to get in quick. Madders has a whinge, but it's not serious.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Vestergaard was done before he has started really, the fact he came from that 9-0 side, did him before he arrived meant he had no wriggle room, so anything other than perfection and he gets slated and it gone downhill from there!

Schmiechel is a legend, and the word is deserved this time, but he does not command his area, he is definitely a factor in our continued conceding of goals at set pieces.

I'm all for criticism of a player, any player where its due, but does kasper push vestegaard in the back becausebhes in his way or not? Cause I'm not wearing my glasses but it looks like it to me. I don't share your belief on vesty, I think we all wanted him to work out, we were hoping of him being a huth x 2, making an impact in both boxes, but he has been more like slimani x 2. I'm not a hater, I just like to get to the bottom of how we improve and I don't think kasper could have done anything if vesty is in his way, that may not be vestys fault, it's all about positioning which is why they say never make a sub when you're about to defend a set piece

10 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I think that is a bit unfair on us (fans) mate! We just want him to look competent. His errors and general performances have been like the kid who gets picked last at 5-a-side. He has been atrocious. Which is why fans have turned. 

47 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

So looking at this again, Vestegaard got in the way of Kasper. I'm still not sure whether with a bit more purpose, vestegaard could have been 1st to the ball

"Before I look at this again, I should warn you that I have already reached a conclusion" 

Perhaps by 'purpose' you meant asking his own goalkeeper not to shove him over from behind? 

2 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I'm all for criticism of a player, any player where its due, but does kasper push vestegaard in the back becausebhes in his way or not? Cause I'm not wearing my glasses but it looks like it to me. I don't share your belief on vesty, I think we all wanted him to work out, we were hoping of him being a huth x 2, making an impact in both boxes, but he has been more like slimani x 2. I'm not a hater, I just like to get to the bottom of how we improve and I don't think kasper could have done anything if vesty is in his way, that may not be vestys fault, it's all about positioning which is why they say never make a sub when you're about to defend a set piece

I am not viewing either on this one game (despite this thread :) ) so my bad, but Schmeichel never controls hisarea, thats a weakness, despite his stunning shot stopping

Vestergaard was in the way and quite why he was not challenging Dawson was a shocker, and he generally looks a bit crap, but he will forever be tarnished by being part of that 9-0, even if it be subconciously in my opinion

54 minutes ago, jamesp26 said:

Played well 2nd half. Most people thought we would get battered. We’ve shown we have a lot to offer still.

Barnes forced Moyes to change his right-back. I'm not sure any defender can suppress him when he's in that mood. How can Rodgers talk about clear-outs when his decisions inhibit the nafural attacking flair of the team.

Tielemans will go - what concerns me is that Maddison might get wanderlust as well. Last night the Talk Sport summarisers were talking about whether the executive would soon fire Rodgers. So it's not just the faithful on here who are questioning his competence.

I've seen media reports exaggerating the atmosphere yesterday. Using the word 'toxic' does not mean it was toxic. Sure, there were boos and noises of discontent when we were repeatedly aimlessly passing it around at the back. For 30 minutes in the second half the atmosphere was electric. We saw wave after wave of attack, culminating in our second goal. Barnes was tremendous. It was inevitable that West Ham would push for the equaliser, so the Vestergaard substition was understandable and he shouldn't have been booed on. Their equaliser was a travesty, it would never have been given against an ESL team.

Schmeichel is a club legend of course, but he is flawed as a goalkeeper. If he attempted to come for balls in a crowded 6-yard box he would win free kicks and relieve some pressure on the team. He might even win the ball. He does neither, and our defenders don't always deal with it instead. Something has to change. 

8 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I think that is a bit unfair on us (fans) mate! We just want him to look competent. His errors and general performances have been like the kid who gets picked last at 5-a-side. He has been atrocious. Which is why fans have turned. 

Not being unfair I do not think, certainly was not my intent, more a comment on human nature, and the fact he got booed when he came on, and yes the booing may have been at Brendan or Tielemans being replace, but come on, its demoralising for the poor footballer devoid of confidence Vestergaard

5 minutes ago, Arkie Bennett said:

I've seen media reports exaggerating the atmosphere yesterday. Using the word 'toxic' does not mean it was toxic. Sure, there were boos and noises of discontent when we were repeatedly aimlessly passing it around at the back. For 30 minutes in the second half the atmosphere was electric. We saw wave after wave of attack, culminating in our second goal.

The crowd were bored watching us do nothing. It wasn't anxiety or nerves or anything like that- crowds from Premier League to non-league will respond positively to attacking play and negatively to dull play.

The spotlight is on us because we aren't worshipping St Brendan at the moment, some mild jeering for 10 seconds during the first half is not a toxic atmosphere.

Three home games in a row we’ve been leading late on. We’ve ended up with two points.

The corners and inability to see out a lead are just laughable now.

Also, nobody is mentioning the defending for Bowen’s goal. That is Sunday league textbook hoof over the back line and they’ve scored from it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

"Before I look at this again, I should warn you that I have already reached a conclusion" 

Perhaps by 'purpose' you meant asking his own goalkeeper not to shove him over from behind? 

What I meant by purpose is he doesn't anticipate the play very well, is slow at getting out therefore getting in kaspers way. Rodgers says he was bought on to counter Dawson coming forward but clearly that was Dan's job so was he necessary and therefore upsets the balance? 

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

The goal can be argued about, but the criminal thing was to allow West Ham a route back into the game. 

That was just a final straw in what was a suicidal final portion of the match. 

I noticed a lot of arguing between Wilf, Youri and Kasper yesterday too, which shows the dynamic of the dressing room isn’t great. 

There’s no way this gets turned round, there’s fractions in the dressing room and when that happens it’s only a matter of time until it all falls apart. 

Kasper and big Dan were having a few arguments as well. Kasper was livid with him when he stopped play because a West Ham player was feigning injury

55 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

He’s got 18 months on his contract and has said some contradictory things. He hopes to play until he’s 40, wants champions league football, but also wants to be a ‘one club man’ and says Leicester are like his family now.

so he may be off end of next season, for champions league football (can’t imagine he’d get in at a top top club) or stay for another 5 years, or something in the middle

• Like 2