Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OntarioFox

LCFC - West Ham Post Match Thread 2-2

14 hours ago, Parafox said:

Matty Piper on RL said more or less the same thing and I respect most of his punditry. That sub should never have happened and was unnecessary given we were so dominant. 

As much of a bizarre and unpalatable sub as a subway meatball sub.

When I saw the board go up and it was vesty I must admit I cringed and felt my heart skip. I like to think I’m pretty unbiased and agenda free but that was a bad sub. I get that they were pushing Dawson forward and it’s a bit like chess. But with a few minutes left it’s impossible to get up to speed particularly for a big lad who hasn’t played much. We took the bait. 

Still it was a handball and whatever our mistakes that should not happen either.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricey said:

He has always stayed on his line and yet since being at the club we’ve won promotion, the Premier League, the FA Cup and got to the quarter finals of the Champions League. Clearly we found ways to deal with it then.

Kasper is part of the problem, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t solutions. We shouldn’t be conceding a set piece goal a game.

For sure, and we would probably not if we were fully fit, however,as we are not full strength it is even more important than normal to mitigate the risks posed by our current defenders ineptitude to deal with set pieces, and the keeper to take control more than was normally required. It is one the few areas that Schmeichel does not excel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

For sure, and we would probably not if we were fully fit, however,as we are not full strength it is even more important than normal to mitigate the risks posed by our current defenders ineptitude to deal with set pieces, and the keeper to take control more than was normally required. It is one the few areas that Schmeichel does not excel.

I can see why he doesn’t come out though. Against Spurs on the final day he felt the need to come out as we were without a lot of height…and he punched one into his own net.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Kasper and big Dan were having a few arguments as well. Kasper was livid with him when he stopped play because a West Ham player was feigning injury

Yea that was dreadful…… I thought Kasper was going to take the ball off him and play on…..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I can see why he doesn’t come out though. Against Spurs on the final day he felt the need to come out as we were without a lot of height…and he punched one into his own net.

Don`t think he is normally that bad when hen does come out, but you could be onto something!

13 hours ago, Jonaldinho said:

I left the ground feeling absolutely livid at Rodgers, and still am. But he's now had the most obvious lesson he could ever need in how to see the game out, and the players are clearly still playing for him. For the first time in a few games against West Ham, we matched them physically (set-pieces aside, where they simply have more players who are better in the air) and would've deservedly beaten them if not for the late capitulation. That gives me some hope.

Sadly he'll never learn, had it vs. Chelsea in the FA Cup final, had it vs. Liverpool in the 3-3 in the Cup a few weeks ago, plus a few others as well. It's what he does and what he's done for years, even for Celtic and Liverpool. If you've not stopped doing something after 10 years, you'll never stop doing it surely? I remember us saving 18 months ago about his faults and that they'll only be a problem if he doesn't learn from them, but he sadly doesn't seem to learn.

I'm still absolutely fuming this morning, I'm starting to actually hate the bloke.

18 minutes ago, Ricey said:

He has always stayed on his line and yet since being at the club we’ve won promotion, the Premier League, the FA Cup and got to the quarter finals of the Champions League. Clearly we found ways to deal with it then.

Kasper is part of the problem, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t solutions. We shouldn’t be conceding a set piece goal a game.

100%, you base your tactics and your system about the players you have available. That's why it's nonsense to blame our injuries for things like playing a high line, if Amartey and Vestegaard constantly get beating by balls over the top, sit them deeper, we've known about this issue for 6 months now, sort it out, utter madness. Likewise with the set pieces, we know we struggle to deal with them, so make changes in order to better the way in which we do.

38 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

What I meant by purpose is he doesn't anticipate the play very well, is slow at getting out therefore getting in kaspers way. Rodgers says he was bought on to counter Dawson coming forward but clearly that was Dan's job so was he necessary and therefore upsets the balance? 

The irony of this is he's in the right position already and didn't need to 'get out' . His head ends up underneath where Dawson ended up arming the ball in. It might have been in the way of the ball if he wasn't falling over from the push. 

If Kasper had a problem with his position the time to deal with it was before the corner, verbally, not during play by shoving him out of the way, a move which removed any chance Vestergaard had of stopping the goal, and didn't help Kasper given he didn't follow through his movement after the shove anyway 

The whole thing made me wonder if the two of them had been arguing about Vesty's position before the corner and Kasper found a stupid way to 'win' the argument

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

Tongue-in-cheek I'd state that "but Brendan is Mr. Nice".

Fergie had his players schooled in the 'in yer face' gamesmanship. Had the same aituation arisen at a United game, Keane, Scholes and the Nevilles would have swarmed around him like angry wasps. I hated that about United, yet it reaped benefits. I suspect that the next time a ref. officiated at a United game there'd be a nagging fear that it would happen again. It takes a strong character not to succumb to such pressure.

At a crucial juncture like last night's late 'goal', a highly dubious score made off a highly debatable point of the body, your recipe for halting the game would have psychologically isolated the ref. from his intention to progress play. The only City player who does give the ref. a hard time is Schmeichel and he's too far away to get in quick. Madders has a whinge, but it's not serious.

The problem with using the Fergie era as an examples it that it comes from a pre-VAR era, and VAR now gives refs a great get out.*

After the game VAR said the ref was unsighted (which tbf he was). Players surrounding the ref would have been told "I didn't see it, VAR is looking", while VAR then proceeds to fall back on the 'clear and obvious error' line for a decision they just admitted was bollocks because the ref couldn't see the bloody thing

*the other problem is all the players swarming round the ref like angry wasps is shit behaviour

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dandy king said:

Haven't seen anyone say this , and so I'm curious to what people think, but could mendy have come on at the end as a defensive sub ? Go defensive but a bit higher up the pitch and stop attacks before they get to the defence ? 

Agree, and there’s a more obvious choice - Hamza

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blue blood said:

What a load of saggy balls. So are all sleeves made to an equal length?

As this is the rule, I'd want to see every Leicester player in long sleeve that covers the hands for every game and totally mock this sleeve turd rule. 

You are right, it is a stupid rule. 

I'm not arguing that it is a good rule. I think every year they fvck up the handball rule a little bit more. It's an absolute mess at the moment. 

However, that image is from the official Premier League website and is an accurate depiction of the current law. As per that law, the goal yesterday was legitimate. 

• Like 1

I think a lot of people

thought both of those. Either way it was poor defending for a set piece and wouldn’t have changed that. They had a few corners. We need to show more desire to clear the ball and be stronger. We need a dominant defender in there. Better still many!  We  have done a bit better later switching to more man to man from total zonal and men on the posts but we also need referees who can do their job. It was handball. 

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm not arguing that it is a good rule. I think every year they fvck up the handball rule a little bit more. It's an absolute mess at the moment. 

However, that image is from the official Premier League website and is an accurate depiction of the current law. As per that law, the goal yesterday was legitimate. 

Exactly- For example Villas short sleeves are far longer then most other teams. 

Edited by Chloe_77
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Event hough it's half on the arm and half on the sleeve. As they said on MOTD, there's no rule that deals with those that land on the border.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Twitcher said:

Event hough it's half on the arm and half on the sleeve. As they said on MOTD, there's no rule that deals with those that land on the border.

I’m assuming that the same rule applies throughout football - if it’s on the line it’s included.

ie. Whole of the ball has to be over the line for throw in, whole of ball over T shirt line for handball

Returning to the wider team performance, Brendan Rodgers continued:”We have closed out the game really well, made subs to see the game through. Kasper Schmeichel did not have too much to do today so from the static position, you have the height and numbers, just go deal with it."

This was in the Daily Express so taken with a pinch of salt but is he collectively speaking about the team or Kasper ? 

22 minutes ago, Dandy king said:

Haven't seen anyone say this , and so I'm curious to what people think, but could mendy have come on at the end as a defensive sub ? Go defensive but a bit higher up the pitch and stop attacks before they get to the defence ? 

yep agree with this completely, slow game down gives us control without changing shape and bringing on the titanic

2 hours ago, splinterdream said:

if you see my previous posts I said I didn't know if vestegaard could get to the ball or was at fault, I still not sure but looking at replay several times kasper does push him in the back which would say he was in the way? There's people on here slagging kasper off for not being pro active in the box. What's your take?

vestergaard is zonal marker in the centre of the six yard box - it’s his job to get his head on the ball ahead of any runners who have lost their marker or have a run on them 

kasper naturally panics and shoves him out of his way which is frustrating as it looks to me as though for once, he’s judged the flight and would have got his head on the corner ahead of Dawson’s arm 

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

"Before I look at this again, I should warn you that I have already reached a conclusion" 

Perhaps by 'purpose' you meant asking his own goalkeeper not to shove him over from behind? 

Had a West Ham player shoved him like kasper did, we would have got a var over rule on the goal … you couldn’t make it up ….

9 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Returning to the wider team performance, Brendan Rodgers continued:”We have closed out the game really well, made subs to see the game through. Kasper Schmeichel did not have too much to do today so from the static position, you have the height and numbers, just go deal with it."

This was in the Daily Express so taken with a pinch of salt but is he collectively speaking about the team or Kasper ? 

It'd be nice if the 6 foot 6 centre half brought on specifically to deal with set pieces and crosses dealt with a set piece or a cross.

Sick of nobody in this team stepping up and taking charge and Kasper is definitely a big part of that reason.

He's miles away from the ball and generally always is.

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Yea that was dreadful…… I thought Kasper was going to take the ball off him and play on…..

I think we should have played on, there didn't appear to be anything wrong with Antonio...?

Edited by rico