Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OntarioFox

LCFC - West Ham Post Match Thread 2-2

22 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

For me "robbery" implies an injustice. The rules, as written, being ignored or poorly implemented. For as much as we genuinely collapsed against Spurs and it was an absolute embarrassment, it also was a miscarriage of justice and we were, to a point, "robbed." Bergwijn committed two yellow card offences by the laws of the game and should have been dismissed in a manner similar to Martinelli. 

Yesterday wasn't an injustice, the rules were implemented 'correctly.' We weren't robbed.

We can, however, be legitimately frustrated at how poor the law is, the handball law has been tampered with almost every season for the last - what - five or six years it feels like? It's getting beyond a joke now.

M’lud we was robbed. 

This particular law is like many in football to complex and open to interpretation. If it is meant to be hand ball then exclude the arm. If it is mean to be arm (below T shirt) call it arm below T shirt ball. Sounds crap and I’m being facetious. 

The way the law is applied is also far too arbitrary and allows the establishment too often to rule in favour of the big clubs and baying crowd. We all know this happens regularly call it fergie time or the pressure of the Kop/klopp whatever. 

We were robbed to appease the big boys again. Case closed. Move on. 

This really confused me yesterday 

we did it on more than one occasion 

it’s one thing sticking a player short and only taking one defender out - no nett advantage in the box so what’s really the point - but to take two out and not play it short is just nuts 

If the opposition only send one player out then ffs, back yourselves and play it short 

499720F0-8628-4216-BA8C-484DBE870835.thumb.jpeg.66a84335d5ba42136f27cd13acee2f48.jpeg

Edited by st albans fox
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ricey said:

He has always stayed on his line and yet since being at the club we’ve won promotion, the Premier League, the FA Cup and got to the quarter finals of the Champions League. Clearly we found ways to deal with it then.

Kasper is part of the problem, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t solutions. We shouldn’t be conceding a set piece goal a game.

I don’t disagree, but look at opposition set piece tactics, it’s now the worst kept secret in the Premier League. 

Stand on Kasper, deliver the ball into the 6 yard box as he won’t come and claim it, and then you’ve literally got a 50/50 chance that if you can win the attacking header, you score!!! It really is that simple. We’re too soft in both boxes, I would genuinely rather see us conceding penalties for shirt pulls and being over aggressive in our own box than seeing pathetically weak goalkeeping and defending. That’s probably a general criticism across the patch tbh, we are way too nice and not aggressive enough.

Can we talk about how bowens goal is almost identical in the way it was conceded to the one last year??? How can we be naïve to not realise he will always win the race to a ball over the top. Of course all of our attention is on the last goal, but the first one is just as criminal. Both goals, are easily prevented and should have been things addressed in training pre-match. How does the same manager get done in the same way like that? 

Edited by Lambert09

21 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

It was blatantly obvious that the Ball hit Dawson's arm below the shirt. So why didn't Car not give it. 

Who do you appeal such poor decisions to.? Any know.

You can’t appeal against decisions 

I think there is a ‘system’ where PGMOL send apologies to clubs for errors 

also for clubs to complain about specific ref decisions or performances ….

• Like 1

I thought the statement read out on the SKY broadcast from VAR said something along the lines of "Not enough evidence of a clear mistake by referee" for the handball, in other words it was but they understand why he didn't see it. It's nonsense, in the earlier game there was a goal disallowed for offside because a toe was fractionally offside. The ref had given the goal and it took a good while to determine it was offside so why not apply the same ruling there then, that yeah it was offside but understandable that the officials didn't see it as such. Because with offsides you can be definitive by showing the lines whilst with handballs it's speculative? Why not over rule when you can see it's a wrong decision. It's not re-refereeing every decision, it's a potential goal situation, the things that need to be correct. Dawson was not getting there with his head due to the height of the ball or his timing, the only way he turns that into a goal is by using an arm. He was looking guilty as hell in his post match interview, almost embarrassed but he'll take it because another day it will be the opposition who get a wrong call. Just gutless by the VAR and when you look at our boys faces just sickening, waste of their efforts.

Edited by fazzyfox
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I don’t think it was exaggerated personally. We were bored in the first half. We were literally watching Amartey pass sideways to Soyuncu, forward to Tielemans, back to Amartey, back to Soyuncu, sometimes literally for minutes…🤷‍♂️
As soon as the players gave the crowd something to get excited about, the whole atmosphere changed and quite rightly so.

All we want to see really is our team having a proper go. As fans, we are no better or worse than any other fans. We want some fight in the team and will get behind them if we see that.

I  agree  I was surprised they werent booed off at half time but the minority who booed at full time were harsh to the extreme  I thought they played excellently against a side who   we normally  play badly against 

Guest Col city fan
5 hours ago, deep blue said:

We didn't concede the equalising goal because we kept attacking.  All that time  (2nd half) we were on the front foot and in control, with them barely having a sniff.

The reason we gave away the equaliser was because Rodgers went scared and defensive.  By bringing on a defender for a midfielder we immediately lost control and outlets in midfield.  The switch also disrupted, disorganised and panicked the defence which had been untroubled during that 2nd half.

Don’t agree

Watch the last ten mins of the game

Every bloody time we went forward, we were looking for a killer pass or the killer cross into the box so that we could score another goal

Rather than doing what we did in the first half (keeping the ball, side to side passes, soaking up time) we were bursting forward like a fookin train at EXACTLY the time we SHOULD have been doing what we did in the first half!

It was naivety at its very best and we do this so often. 
Defending a lead doesn’t mean you have to adopt a defensive formation. But what it does mean is that you slow the game down, you keep the ball, you play for time, you get it in the corners and you keep the ball away from the opposition. 
We are terrible at this! To see our players rampaging forward with ten minutes to go, like kids in a playground trying at all costs to score a wonder goal was a ridiculous vision. 
We have zero composure and ‘savvy’ when we really need it

The team needs more cool heads in it to simply stop the opposition and to see out games.

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Don’t agree

Every bloody time we went forward, we were looking for a killer pass or the killer cross into the box so that we could score another goal

Rather than doing what we did in the first half (keeping the ball, side to side passes, soaking up time) we were bursting forward like a fookin train at EXACTLY the time we SHOULD have been doing what we did in the first half!

Defending a lead doesn’t mean you have to adopt a defensive formation. But what it does mean is that you slow the game down, you keep the ball, you play for time, you get it in the corners and you keep the ball away from the opposition. 
We are terrible at this! To see our players rampaging forward with ten minutes to go, like kids in a playground trying at all costs to score a wonder goal was a ridiculous vision. 

The team needs more cool heads in it to simply stop the opposition and to see out games.

Col speaking sense will pee off a few  …

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

You can’t appeal against decisions 

I think there is a ‘system’ where PGMOL send apologies to clubs for errors 

also for clubs to complain about specific ref decisions or performances ….

What's the point, they'd probably post the apology to Leicester Tigers! 

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Don’t agree

Absolutely, it's something we just don't seem familiar with. Look at how Burnley ensured there would be no football in the last god knows how long of our draw earlier this season, every throw, every goal kick, painfully slow, killed the game off and in possession cautious and sensible, no risks. 

When after Spurs equalised, we lost it almost straight from Kick off as Youri tried to thread the ball through a needle but why oh why were Vestergaard and co so high, what did he think he'd be contributing to that attack, one ball and we were undone, why was a guy who can't run putting half a pitch between himself and the goal he's there to defend, it was the definition of gung-ho, they all just lost their heads. OK that was trying to get back ahead rather than preserving a lead but was it really worth an all or nothing gamble when a point with a patched up defence may have been a reluctantly acceptable result. 

Guest Col city fan
3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Can we talk about how bowens goal is almost identical in the way it was conceded to the one last year??? How can we be naïve to not realise he will always win the race to a ball over the top. Of course all of our attention is on the last goal, but the first one is just as criminal. Both goals, are easily prevented and should have been things addressed in training pre-match. How does the same manager get done in the same way like that? 

What I did think about Bowen’s goal (and of course I’ll be slated again for daring to criticize King Amartey) was that Big Dan looked slower in the foot-race than I thought he was. I’d never considered Bowen as particularly quick (maybe wrongly) but he burned big Dan for their first goal. Although tbf he did have a slight start on him.

https://youtu.be/8S1NAmn3bAs

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What I did think about Bowen’s goal (and of course I’ll be slated again for daring to criticize King Amartey) was that Big Dan looked slower in the foot-race than I thought he was. I’d never considered Bowen as particularly quick (maybe wrongly) but he burned big Dan for their first goal. Although tbf he did have a slight start on him.

Bowen is deceptively quick for sure but big dans certainly lost a yard of pace since his injury.  Brendan has always been a fan of a high line and its always irked me. 

12 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Agree Dan did not have the pace of Bowen, Justin got caught out, but at least they were both heading in the right direction. 

When the ball was played over the top Soyuncu was still looking for his gran behind the opposite goal, just was not paying attention.

3 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

I thought the statement read out on the SKY broadcast from VAR said something along the lines of "Not enough evidence of a clear mistake by referee" for the handball, in other words it was but they understand why he didn't see it. It's nonsense, in the earlier game there was a goal disallowed for offside because a toe was fractionally offside. The ref had given the goal and it took a good while to determine it was offside so why not apply the same ruling there then, that yeah it was offside but understandable that the officials didn't see it as such. Because with offsides you can be definitive by showing the lines whilst with handballs it's speculative? Why not over rule when you can see it's a wrong decision. It's not re-refereeing every decision, it's a potential goal situation, the things that need to be correct. Dawson was not getting there with his head due to the height of the ball or his timing, the only way he turns that into a goal is by using an arm. He was looking guilty as hell in his post match interview, almost embarrassed but he'll take it because another day it will be the opposition who get a wrong call. Just gutless by the VAR and when you look at our boys faces just sickening, waste of their efforts.

This would be so sensible. Seems Football bosses are letting systems go off half cocked. 

4 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Was my immediate thought. West Ham we’re employing that tactic throughout. Burnley and Man U have exposed it this season as well. Playing too high of a line with those centre backs. I know why we want to play high but sometimes just get the basics done right 

51 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Was my immediate thought. West Ham we’re employing that tactic throughout. Burnley and Man U have exposed it this season as well. Playing too high of a line with those centre backs. I know why we want to play high but sometimes just get the basics done right 

exactly. You'd think in training matches it would keep happening with Youri knocking it over to vardy or daka... we have no excuse not to have ample prep for this sort of move. 

Have you ever thought about how many goals leicester would score if they played leicester lol

On 13/02/2022 at 19:25, splinterdream said:

Yes you're right, I think the whole ball should be within the sleeve but we let ourselves down again.....vestegaard man, what we gonna do with him?

....I suspect that there is a mandated size of the the sleeves of jerseys because just looking at the Leicester jersey sleeve and Dawson's it looks like a marked difference!!!

If the ball came into contact below the sleeve area it should not be a goal, but with a longer sleeve you will get a better advantage. If we wish to continue with this law there will need to be a standardise "marked" length on jersey sleeves, where contact by the ball is ruled ok or not if below.