Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Claudio Fannieri

My First Ever City Game

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Funnily enough there was a little boy sat behind me on Thursday who was there with his grandma and grandad, who told me it was his first game. Every single thing that happened he was like "WHAT A HEADER" or 'WHAT A TACKLE" with ultimate enthusiasm. It was so ****ing adorable and got me thinking of my first game. It was at Filbert Street, Boxing Day 1994. I was sat in the double decker above the Kop. We lost 2-1 to Liverpool and I was HOOKED.

That kid is very lucky to be born into this Leicester side!

Steve Thompson penalty miss 😪.

Hit the post and scored the rebound but disallowed as no other player had touched it.

Edited by Rain King

46 minutes ago, StevieLynex said:

I was at that game, and a crowd of 13,300 was considered a really big turn out at the time. Most home games were 9-10,000

I was also there, in the North Stand. If I remember the highlights were on Star Soccer on the Sunday as I remember seeing myself sitting on the front row to the side of the goal. Didn’t Smith score a 25 yard half volley?

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

I'm not entirely sure.  I have a programme from 1985 against Liverpool which we lost 0-1.  But i have memories of seeing us draw 3-3 with them, that would have been the previous season April 1984....but i don't have the programme....so can't be sure.

One of my all time favorite games that. Night match, 26,000 crammed in, delayed kick off, another Andy Peake screamer against a brilliant Liverpool team. Good times.

• Like 2

9th September, 1961 - won 2 - 0 against Everton.

Funnily enough I have clearer memories of my second match sometime later. That was a 3 - 0 win against Cardiff City with the first goal scored in the 7th minute by Colin Appleton, what I thought at the time was a misplaced  cross from the left wing. Cardiff had two disallowed for offside I think.

• Like 2

I'm not actually sure what my first game was. I went a few family night football games and the odd cup game around the same period in the mid to late 90's. Started going regular from 2004. 

On a side note we played Oldham away the day I was born and my brother bought me the programme which is a great keepsake and means alot to me.

oldham-chopper.jpg

• Like 1

City 2-1 Man utd 1968 in the Filbert street end corner of the east stand with my dad. i was 8 years old. We had Shilton, Nish, Cross et al. They had Best, Charlton, Law & co.

Don't remember much of the game itself other than i was absolutely buzzing all way home. stopped at the chippy on way home, and as a special treat we were allowed to eat them in the car.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I'm not entirely sure.  I have a programme from 1985 against Liverpool which we lost 0-1.  But i have memories of seeing us draw 3-3 with them, that would have been the previous season April 1984....but i don't have the programme....so can't be sure.

It was - as Izzy says, evening K.O, lovely warm spring day and possibly one of the best games I ever saw at Filbert Street.

First one, Larry May's debut against Bristol City.

Edited by Line-X

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

4th February 1989 Lost 2-0 to Hull City.

Will never forget seeing the pitch for the first time as I walked from the concourse in to the Double Decker.

Made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I was in awe.

....same for me, the sound when you are walking to your seat and then you look out and see the pitch, always get that every time I go down!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tom27111 said:

4th February 1989 Lost 2-0 to Hull City.

Will never forget seeing the pitch for the first time as I walked from the concourse in to the Double Decker.

Made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I was in awe.

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....same for me, the sound when you are walking to your seat and then you look out and see the pitch, always get that every time I go down!!!

As a kid I used to love looking out over the Leicester skyline from the top of the Double Decker. Admittedly it was hardly Manhattan, but still I used to enjoy it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Funnily enough there was a little boy sat behind me on Thursday who was there with his grandma and grandad, who told me it was his first game. Every single thing that happened he was like "WHAT A HEADER" or 'WHAT A TACKLE" with ultimate enthusiasm. It was so ****ing adorable and got me thinking of my first game. It was at Filbert Street, Boxing Day 1994. I was sat in the double decker above the Kop. We lost 2-1 to Liverpool and I was HOOKED.

That kid is very lucky to be born into this Leicester side!

I always think that when I see the young kids now and wish that I'd seen us win the league and Cup at that age. It would've saved me from a lifetime of frustration watching City. However, perhaps it wouldn't have meant so much when we actually did it.