Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Claudio Fannieri

My First Ever City Game

41 minutes ago, urban fox said:

City 2-1 Man utd 1968 in the Filbert street end corner of the east stand with my dad. i was 8 years old. We had Shilton, Nish, Cross et al. They had Best, Charlton, Law & co.

Don't remember much of the game itself other than i was absolutely buzzing all way home. stopped at the chippy on way home, and as a special treat we were allowed to eat them in the car.

That was my second game having made my debut in a 2 all draw against Forest 4 weeks earlier.  Sat on the wall on the popular side,  remember nothing of either game though.

Officially : Filbert Street. Ipswich in the league (second tier) on 30th September 1987 when City were on a roll following their unfortunate relegation from the first division the previous season,. It was a 1-1 draw with Steve Moran scoring his first goal for us. Bryan Hamilton was the manager but not for much longer after then.

Unofficially : Filbert Street.  West Ham - an impressive 4.1 win for us on March 17th 1984 in the old top tier/first division .... with Lineker and Lynex on the scoresheet from memory. I say 'unofficially' as I saw most of it through one of the fences behind the kop outside the ground, aged 15 when my folks had a stall in the flea market at the old Granby Halls that day and so I snook off for a couple of hours before retunring when I got bored and returned unnoticed! Strange but true! One lad at the ground of a similar age to me also "peering through", asked me "do I want to sneak in?" but I declined and regret doing so to this day. Not sure what would have come of it had we succeeded but it always stuck in the memory box and I remember it all crystal clear! All that three and a half years before paying on the turnstiles for the first time there. As we lived in Northampton at the time then it was only occasionally back then and I became more of a regular from 1991 anon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

2-0 win in the FA Cup against Enfield in 1995. I always had it in my head that Lee Philpott and Ian Ormondroyd got the goals but I looked it up recently and it was actually David Oldfield and Iwan Roberts that got the goals

You got to witness Steve Agnew's last match for City.

2 minutes ago, Rain King said:

That photo just evokes so many feelings. All my first matches were in the Double Decker with my Dad. Just looking at that I can almost hear the sound.

Me too, sat there for years, until I decided to ditch my dad and go with my mates. I really regret that.

Block P Row D Seat 125

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Me too, sat there for years, until I decided to ditch my dad and go with my mates. I really regret that.

Block P Row D Seat 125

My first season ticket was in 94 and we moved to the Family Stand orange seats.

2nd row there on the right as you look at it behind the Endsleigh sign.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

1991 Unfortunately I was in the home end v Cambridge Utd lost 5-1.

All turned out fine in the play offs

Claridge, Dublin, Rowett and Philpott! Uncanny connections that were unearthed later on down the line at Filbert Street after the 1992 play offs semis L2 5-0 thrashing for Cambridge there!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Guy said:

Claridge, Dublin, Rowett and Philpott! Uncanny connections that were unearthed later on down the line at Filbert Street after the 1992 play offs semis L2 5-0 thrashing for Cambridge there!

Yeah,I had an enjoyable trip home with a car full of Cambridge fans for that one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgefox said:

Yeah,I had an enjoyable trip home with a car full of Cambridge fans for that one.

I bet! As long as you went in the home end for the game as it would've been bloody hard to restrian your delight in the away end with your car share chums each time a goal went in! I was in the kop and remembered the poor Cambridge blighters hardly cheered all game (apart from cheering their team out onto the pitch) and were static - but that was understandable I guess! Even Ormondroyd scored but Tommy Wright was the major difference on the night of course! 

This was my first game but I don’t remember any of it (I was just turned 4 😂)

The next games I went to were at the Walkers against Palace (1-0) and Wimbledon (4-0). Both within a few weeks of each other and must have been 02/03. I remember Dickov scored 2 penalties against Wimbledon and I was disappointed the next few visits that that wasn’t the norm.

I was very young probably around 7 or 8.

Remember it was a snowy day and my uncle got me chips and curry sauce from a Chinese takeaway shop near Filbert Street.

Till this day it's the best chips and curry sauce I've ever had, probably because it was my first.

Remember the steam coming off them as I locked my eyes onto the stadium for the first time, it was love at first sight.

Filbert Street looked like a spaceship to me and the excitement inside me grew as I knew soon we would be inside.

We were playing Charlton, the final score was 1-1 i think, or 1-0 to them, can't remember.

I do know Clive Mendonca scored for them.

Edited by Vindaloo FOX
  • Like 1

City v Cambridge Utd

Play off semi final.

Think it was about 5-1😁😁😁

2nd game was Wembley with the Blackburn  final.

Season ticket ever since!!!

Not many darkies down Filbert Street in them days!!!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

I was very young probably around 7 or 8.

Remember it was a snowy day and my uncle got me chips and curry sauce from a Chinese takeaway shop near Filbert Street.

Till this day it's the best chips and curry sauce I've ever had, probably because it was my first.

Remember the steam coming off them as I locked my eyes onto the stadium for the first time, it was love at first sight.

Filbert Street looked like a spaceship to me and the excitement inside me grew as I knew soon we would be inside.

We were playing Charlton, the final score was 1-1 i think, or 1-0 to them, can't remember.

I do know Clive Mendonca scored for them.

Screenshot_20220221-170420_Samsung Internet.jpg