Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Claudio Fannieri

My First Ever City Game

19 hours ago, Rain King said:

That photo just evokes so many feelings. All my first matches were in the Double Decker with my Dad. Just looking at that I can almost hear the sound.

Also, trying to identify all of those players. Grayson, Willis, Blake, Speedie, Roberts, Ormondroyd.

Looks like number 3 on the left that would usually be Whitlow but looks more like Neil Lewis possibly? The one in front of the keeper I'm not sure - could be Agnew.

What actually happened to Neil Lewis?? O’Neill played him for a while during our first season back in the prem and I remember him looking good

Leicester vs Blackburn play off final 1992, asking the old man who absolutely hates football to take me. Said  only if they beat Cambridge first in play offs, checking on teletext that night and they won 5-0, jumping around the lounge like an idiot.

After the game at Wembley, said I can go next season to the games but I'm not taking you. Straight into pen 2 with my school mates never looked back or been to a game with the old man since! 

Edited by Foxes99
  • Haha 1

7th April 1979 - Home game against Stoke and a 1 all draw. 

Sat in the North Stand directly behind the goal and watched Mark Wallington have a great game. 

I was totally and utterly hooked. 

I remember we played Palace on the Tuesday or Wednesday night just after and I went to that game too - I was amazed by the brightness of the floodlights and the greenness of the grass although looking back it was probably a mud heap by early April. That was 1 all as well as we edged toward safety from the old 2nd division.  

I spent the next 10 years trying to get my dad to take me down to 'The City' but whose heart had been broken by the sale of Gordon Banks and The Doog in 1967 so he was more than resistant. 

Edited by CrazyKopCorner
  • Like 1

On 20/02/2022 at 12:10, LestaAl said:

LCFC v Man U up in the gods at Filbert st. Bobby and Georgie played so would have been early 70’s .

That seems like it could be the same one as my first game, November 1972, 2-2 draw, Samuels & Farrington the scorers. Followed in the next game with a Frank Worthington hat- trick in a 3-1 win over West Brom.

1 minute ago, steve555 said:

That seems like it could be the same one as my first game, November 1972, 2-2 draw, Samuels & Farrington the scorers. Followed in the next game with a Frank Worthington hat- trick in a 3-1 win over West Brom.

Could be this one I don’t recall the score , I was about 10 annd with my Dad and my memory is that everyone was taller than me and the pitch seemed miles away!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rain King said:

That photo just evokes so many feelings. All my first matches were in the Double Decker with my Dad. Just looking at that I can almost hear the sound.

Also, trying to identify all of those players. Grayson, Willis, Blake, Speedie, Roberts, Ormondroyd.

Looks like number 3 on the left that would usually be Whitlow but looks more like Neil Lewis possibly? The one in front of the keeper I'm not sure - could be Agnew.

First games were always the Double Decker for me too. Just easier to pick up a ticket on the day for there. 

Been a while since I've seen the photo of the concourse to it . 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

First games were always the Double Decker for me too. Just easier to pick up a ticket on the day for there. 

Been a while since I've seen the photo of the concourse to it . 

I'd love to see some photos from in and around  the stands. I used to have to walk up those steps in the Family Stand and right to the opposite corner on the far left to the only toilet for the stand. 

That's if you could get past the people queuing up for the kiosk in the middle at the back.

Back in the 80’s  most matches were 3:00 kick off on Saturdays, my dad played local football on Saturdays and I was too young to take to night matches so the Boxing Day game was my highlight of the year!  - first game was 87 and we lost 0-1 to Bournemouth, 12 months of waiting and and again we lost 0-1 to Bournemouth - I didn’t see us score a goal the first two times I went, makes you wonder how I ever fell in love with city!

Late in 1968 v Chelsea. Paid for the pop side but jumped over the corner into the kop. Sat on a high, spiked wall in front of the seats of the mainstand - much to the displeasure of the flat cap brigade!

Was amazed that 200 chelsea fans were right in the middle of the kop - where I used to go the away fans would NEVER 'take' the Oak Road End (until Leicester a couple of years later!!).

Stringfellow scored after 4 minutes and City, with Nish and Roberts and Cross and Glover and Clarke were a young fan's dream!

Final score: Leicester 1 Chelsea 4

End of season: Relegated!

So started the roller coaster of supporting City!

• Like 1

Guest StevieLynex
2 hours ago, Foxes99 said:

Leicester vs Blackburn play off final 1992, asking the old man who absolutely hates football to take me. Said  only if they beat Cambridge first in play offs, checking on teletext that night and they won 5-0, jumping around the lounge like an idiot.

After the game at Wembley, said I can go next season to the games but I'm not taking you. Straight into pen 2 with my school mates never looked back or been to a game with the old man since! 

2 hours ago, Foxes99 said:

Did you old man ask you to be a Forest fan?

Guest StevieLynex

Just passed the half century since my first game- lost 0-1 at home to West Brom in 1972. I was awestruck by seeing players like Worthington and Weller in real life, the brightness of the floodlights and the sheer number of fans making such a noise. It was a choice between the Foxes and the great Leeds side. Thankfully I made the right decision 

Edited by StevieLynex

47 minutes ago, drofmor55 said:

Was at that game ..John Sjoberg and a 17 year Peter Shilton had brilliant games 

Yes, Shilton was just incredible!... nothing was going to get past him that game!

Think we had about 20% possession and they must have had 20/30 shots on goal 😂, think they'd gone something like 40 home games unbeaten too!

Can't be sure, but was it Frank Large's debut for us?

3rd January 1962. Stoke, FA cup 3rd round 1-1 draw. Sat in front of wing stand on the wall. I think my Dad and Grandad took us to see Stanley Matthews who was getting on a bit then. I can remember the smell of linament when the players came out of the tunnel. Happy days.

Edited by foxgas
Add opposition.
  • Like 1

On 20/02/2022 at 12:11, Sir Shep said:

1980 lost at home to Brighton and had 2 goals disallowed and 2 pitch invations! Utter carp and boring from what I remember so I ended up watching the egg chasers and didn't return for another 7 years! 

Was that a Boxing Day game? If so, that was my first game too. Lost 1-0 to a goal off a corner (some things never change!). Think the scorer was the guy who always wore a headband, Steve Foster. Was a terrible game between 2 teams in the relegation zone, as I recall. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guy said:

I bet! As long as you went in the home end for the game as it would've been bloody hard to restrian your delight in the away end with your car share chums each time a goal went in! I was in the kop and remembered the poor Cambridge blighters hardly cheered all game (apart from cheering their team out onto the pitch) and were static - but that was understandable I guess! Even Ormondroyd scored but Tommy Wright was the major difference on the night of course! 

Yes I was,I think in those days you had to go to the ground to get tickets for big matches.Think I did that for this one,but my memory might be fading,I can remember thinking they were going to leave me in Leicester.When we got back to the car it was covered in gob as my mate had a Cambridge sticker in the window.

i also had a  pissed off Leicester fan walk over my precious Citroen AX GT in a car park away at Peterborough the following year.Yes,the game when we had half the ground,police horses,dogs and lost 3-0.