Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley 0-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

37 minutes ago, surrifox said:

2023 I believe 

36 minutes ago, shen said:

That is a slight on Youri. I've yet to see anything that suggests Youri isn't trying or being s professional.

Only in your head.

You can be 100% professional, but sub consciously switch off due to your situation.

In elite sport you only need to be a couple of % off, the margins are that fine.

Do you think his playing well?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, FoxesTez said:

Seems like Wilf went back to basics which was huge for us. Barnes lethal as well. 

Surprised not to see more comments about Burnley fans, specifically their chant about Vichai, it was very disappointing how many of the morons joined in with it.  

what was sung? couldn't pick it up from the stream 

11 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Excellent final 15-20 mins, notable we shift the ball with more intent when a certain Starman isn't on the pitch. Really looks like he's not invested anymore, maybe time for Rodgers to make a big call on him.

Yep. Ndidi, KDH and Maddison should be our starting midfield unquestionably.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, Dusty said:

Yep, came to a 0.58 for that chance alone. 

Ours is deceivingly low as well. The position of lots of our shots wasn’t optimal, as Burnley are good at stopping players getting into high xg shot areas. But the quality of some of our shots was outstanding, another day we score 4. Considering they allow the least shots per game on average as well we absolutely peppered their goal.

They were crap going forwards tho. 

It's a very flawed system that doesn't take into account the quality of players and finishing. But for their keeper we could have had 5 goals at least, kasper makes one save I can remember and the xg is still close.

Maddisons open goal against Brentford was less than 0.1 xg - work that one out?

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, FoxesTez said:

Seems like Wilf went back to basics which was huge for us. Barnes lethal as well. 

Surprised not to see more comments about Burnley fans, specifically their chant about Vichai, it was very disappointing how many of the morons joined in with it.  

What did they sing?

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I mean, they were absolutely shit and offered nothing going forward. 

I seem to remember foxestalk getting just as exited when we beat Watford. 

I'm absolutely stoked we got an away win with a clean sheet, don't get me wrong, this is great. But I'm still reserving judgement to see how we carry that in to the next few games. 

Bloody cynics on FT :D, where would it be without them.

Edited by Le Renard

A 2-0 win was just the bloody ticket! 2 nicely worked team goals, a clean sheet and good defensive performance, and a lot of opportunities created. But for a very strong Nick Pope performance that could have been 4 or 5. I was concerned - as many were - that we would fold and turn out a weak and passive performance. It was anything but. Credit to Brendan and the players for a massive win. If we can back that up versus Leeds at the weekend, it could be a huge and defining week for our season.

• Like 2

Guest Col city fan

By the way, I’d been a strong advocate of signing Tarkowski but last night I thought he was bloody awful. 

1 hour ago, Dusty said:

He’s never been exposed to playing with a high line or playing out from the back. That’s what’s stopping him going to a bigger team or playing for England imo. 

With his style of play I can see him at West Ham or someone like that. I think when we get our next keeper we need to go big and try get a top level one. You see the difference that Allison and ederson made at those clubs, we need someone who’s really going to take us up a notch. 

I appreciate your technical points.

Allison and Ederson have followed a significantly different path to Nick Pope. 

I think he's suffered from under development - a situation experienced by many young English players in modern English football, dominated as it is by the availability of funding which enables rich clubs to cherry pick players who've experienced several differing football environments. These players learn much more on their travels and emerge with the skills and confidence which earn them a place at football's high table.

Inevitably English players aren't able to learn these same lessons. They have to be exceptional to compete with the 'import market' where money is able to buy excellence off the peg.

I don't believe City can compete directly in this market. Pope (or similar players) might be the best we can afford. Our emphasis should be spotting talent and developing it. But the big clubs will always be able to cast their nets farther and attract young hopefuls or experienced foreign talent. The only consolation is that eleven great players do not necessarily a team make - as we proved in '15 - '16.

• Like 2

Avoided the game and watched the Sky Sports showing this morning

- We were accomplished, seemed confident, rarely threatened. It was a proper throwback. Playing the ball about with relative confidence

- Nick Pope was brilliant, stopped us from strolling it

- That front combo, if a sign of things to come, might settle us all down a bit

- Thought it was actually quite an entertaining game of football, too

- Think we all needed a performance like that. Recent games and experiences can drag even the most enthusiastic fan down, but that was refreshing and dominant

1 minute ago, Footballwipe said:

Avoided the game and watched the Sky Sports showing this morning

- We were accomplished, seemed confident, rarely threatened. It was a proper throwback. Playing the ball about with relative confidence

- Nick Pope was brilliant, stopped us from strolling it

- That front combo, if a sign of things to come, might settle us all down a bit

- Thought it was actually quite an entertaining game of football, too

- Think we all needed a performance like that. Recent games and experiences can drag even the most enthusiastic fan down, but that was refreshing and dominant

Full 90?

52 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

It's a very flawed system that doesn't take into account the quality of players and finishing. But for their keeper we could have had 5 goals at least, kasper makes one save I can remember and the xg is still close.

Maddisons open goal against Brentford was less than 0.1 xg - work that one out?

It might be flawed, but I don't think it not taking into account the quality of players and finishing is a flaw. It doesn't need to do that. It quantifies the quality of the chance itself regardless of the player on the end of it. A tap-in from a yard out is always a better chance than a 30 yarder, no matter who's taking the shot.

28 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

A 2-0 win was just the bloody ticket! 2 nicely worked team goals, a clean sheet and good defensive performance, and a lot of opportunities created. But for a very strong Nick Pope performance that could have been 4 or 5. I was concerned - as many were - that we would fold and turn out a weak and passive performance. It was anything but. Credit to Brendan and the players for a massive win. If we can back that up versus Leeds at the weekend, it could be a huge and defining week for our season.

all the guys looked to be enjoying themselves and playing together . Barnes has an unbelievable level of stamina and willingness to run  and if his finishing improves a bit will be world class. One of the less mentioned reverses this season was the loss to Villa where we were dogs**t second half- this side would have have beaten them easily .

BR really hasn't been constantly moaning and blaming results on the absence of key players like his detractors imply but seeing the galvanising impact of JV on our performance he could be excused for thinking it 

• Like 1