Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley 0-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

It's a very flawed system that doesn't take into account the quality of players and finishing. But for their keeper we could have had 5 goals at least, kasper makes one save I can remember and the xg is still close.

Maddisons open goal against Brentford was less than 0.1 xg - work that one out?

It’s not intended to calculate the quality of finishing, the opposite really. It’s to work out the quality of the chances that are being created. It can tell you if you deserved to win the game with the opportunities you had. The saves that their keeper made were not from really good goal scoring opportunities I would say, so the xG was low. Ricardo was surrounded by many players and did well to get a shot off and Barnes struck his through lots of bodies too.

There is a thing called post shot xG which is more for assessing keepers. It tells you the likelihood of the shot going in based on its quality (speed, direction etc.) and that will tell you how well, statistically pope did against us. 

Not sure where you got the Maddison stat from, just looked it up and it was given 0.55 xG.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shen said:

That is a slight on Youri. I've yet to see anything that suggests Youri isn't trying or being s professional.

Absolutely.  

I'm resigned to losing him, but I don't blame him.  It's no reason for fans to turn on him or question his commitment. I see no sign of this.

If and when he goes, I will wish him well, the cherub faced little Pirlo. Forever a legend just for THAT goal.

• Like 4

I think Daka's good and will prove to be excellent for us in time but he's still got a bit to learn. Lacks a bit of a presence at times that Vardy has. His movement isn't on Vardy's level either. I'd like to hope it'll come though.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Please watch his defending and failure to track Vardy for the second goal. 

I'm really not totally convinced by him to be honest and feel we could probably get better. Burnley haven't been great at the back for a while now, plus we defend in a very different style to them. I worry it'd be Michael Keane to Everton all over again.

The only caveat really to his bad season here, is Evans' last season at WBA was probably even worse.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, shen said:

That is a slight on Youri. I've yet to see anything that suggests Youri isn't trying or being s professional.

Yeah I agree, I think he's always been a bit languid even on form it's just now he clearly wants out (which I do understand as disappointing as it is) it's being used against him. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

8 hours ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

If Burnley go down, we should go all in for Pope and Tarkowski. I have not really thought much of the latter when we’ve been linked window after window, but he is bigger than he looks, fearless and a proper defender. Would be great alongside Soyuncu and the older, calmer head we have needed all season. 

Tarkowski Would be a good replacement for Evans who seems unfortunately his time is over as a reliable starter.

Pope we should go all in for to replace Kasper.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

We shouldn't be too hard on Daka.  He didn't have the benefit of an inform Lookman and Madison to help him.

His movement and all round game isn't really there yet, we know he can finish, but if you want to play up front on your own, there has to be more to your game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Absolutely.  

I'm resigned to losing him, but I don't blame him.  It's no reason for fans to turn on him or question his commitment. I see no sign of this.

If and when he goes, I will wish him well, the cherub faced little Pirlo. Forever a legend just for THAT goal.

I have no ill will if he leaves. He has been phenomenal for us, and a constant gentleman. I an just glad we can win without him on the pitch.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Their starting 11 today cost around £50-55m so quite a way off ours as Youri alone was £40m. He is a nob though and always complains about other teams spending money  

Burnley have been PL for 5 years now, plenty of money coming in each year, yet Dyche is always moaning they're skint and how much others spend. What do they spend it on?

12 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Burnley have been PL for 5 years now, plenty of money coming in each year, yet Dyche is always moaning they're skint and how much others spend. What do they spend it on?

The previous chairman was saving it up and took £100m out of the club when he left.  The difference between an owner who put £500m in, and an owner who took £100m out, is quite marked.

Edited by dsr-burnley

Strange place Burnley my old firm did a nightclub/bar fit there probably 20 years ago and on opening night despite the usual promotion the town was utterly deserted tumbleweed in the street,

But its in a nice part of the country and has some historic buildings.

16 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

The previous chairman was saving it up and took £100m out of the club when he left.  The difference between an owner who put £500m in, and an owner who took £100m out, is quite marked.

That's miserable. Do well and bump up the finances with a view to reinvesting and doing better, but the Chairman doesn't release the funds. I see why your man Dyche is as miserable as he is now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think Daka's good and will prove to be excellent for us in time but he's still got a bit to learn. Lacks a bit of a presence at times that Vardy has. His movement isn't on Vardy's level either. I'd like to hope it'll come though.

Agreed. It's just his positioning. He has the best to learn from in Vardy. He needs to play off the shoulder of the last man exactly like Vardy does and not do what he does at times which is drop back to hold up. His finishing is just what we need and will improve if he can learn Vardy's positioning then he will be a real handful.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
4 hours ago, Dusty said:

It’s not intended to calculate the quality of finishing, the opposite really. It’s to work out the quality of the chances that are being created. It can tell you if you deserved to win the game with the opportunities you had. The saves that their keeper made were not from really good goal scoring opportunities I would say, so the xG was low. Ricardo was surrounded by many players and did well to get a shot off and Barnes struck his through lots of bodies too.

There is a thing called post shot xG which is more for assessing keepers. It tells you the likelihood of the shot going in based on its quality (speed, direction etc.) and that will tell you how well, statistically pope did against us. 

Not sure where you got the Maddison stat from, just looked it up and it was given 0.55 xG.

Possibly got that wrong then but even at 0.55 that says maddison misses that 45 times out of 100 which is madness. It doesn't quantify the positions of other players on the pitch nor the player in question. I get it as a general rule but by and large I think it tells us very little.

By xg's analysis the weghorst chance was better than maddisons vs brentford, how on earth can you watch that in real life and think that's even vaguely insightful.

Guest Col city fan
4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think it’s probably unfair to compare Daka (or most strikers tbh) to Vardy.

Vardy is one of the most successful strikers the Premiership has ever seen. He’s City’s best ever player imo. 
Vardy is a one-off

An exceptional talent

Daka is his own player and time will tell whether he’ll be much good for us. 

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I think it’s probably unfair to compare Daka (or most strikers tbh) to Vardy.

Vardy is one of the most successful strikers the Premiership has ever seen. He’s City’s best ever player imo. 
Vardy is a one-off

An exceptional talent

Daka is his own player and time will tell whether he’ll be much good for us. 

It's a comparison that'll be drawn naturally due to the similar playing styles. I think we bought Daka thinking he was potentially a similar style to Vardy. He's not got the same tenacity and that's why he's not at his level yet. It'd be unfair to expect him to hit Vardy's levels immediately but I don't think it's beyond him in future. Could be wrong of course.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Possibly got that wrong then but even at 0.55 that says maddison misses that 45 times out of 100 which is madness. It doesn't quantify the positions of other players on the pitch nor the player in question. I get it as a general rule but by and large I think it tells us very little.

By xg's analysis the weghorst chance was better than maddisons vs brentford, how on earth can you watch that in real life and think that's even vaguely insightful.

It’s bollox in that particular context - it doesn’t recognise where the keeper is with madders goal or how fast the ball was travelling towards weghorst and that it had been deflected on its way down. No way did Burnley deserve an Xg above 1 last night. and given pope’s saves, ours should have been above 2 but the quality of Barnes and Ricky’s efforts isn’t recognised.  Vardys header is also worth more than its awarded because again, it doesn’t see where pope is. 

it’s a useful tool but it needs to be used in context by someone who has seen the game