Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley 0-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

4 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

The previous chairman was saving it up and took £100m out of the club when he left.  The difference between an owner who put £500m in, and an owner who took £100m out, is quite marked.

Err.... I'd mark that at £600 million 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Barnes as good as he was going forward didn't half shaft Thomas at times.

That's why Thomas sometimes looks poor imo, poor lad is often not getting support from Barnes, great attacking player but a dog shoot defender sometimes.

I'm glad xG exists, because it's always fun to hear football hipsters who have Brighton or Brentford as their 'second team' trip over themselves trying to explain why they should actually have won 6-2 instead of losing 2-1.

Fact is, you can have the best xG in the league, but unless you have quality forwards on the end of them, you won't score. Yes, sometimes enough sh*t sticks that you can make someone like Weghorst, Maupay or Bamford look like a top-six striker for a few games, but eventually cream rises to the top.

There's probably a school of thought that says we didn't 'deserve' to win the league in 15/16, but the fact is that we had an absolutely lethal striker combo in Vardy and Mahrez that buried the limited chances that came to us every time.

It's a stat that either states the bleeding obvious (e.g. Liverpool or Man City scoring a shedload because they create a lot for quality forwards) or is used by a comfort blanket for expansive teams with crap strikers.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Possibly got that wrong then but even at 0.55 that says maddison misses that 45 times out of 100 which is madness. It doesn't quantify the positions of other players on the pitch nor the player in question. I get it as a general rule but by and large I think it tells us very little.

By xg's analysis the weghorst chance was better than maddisons vs brentford, how on earth can you watch that in real life and think that's even vaguely insightful.

It does incorporate the other players around the ball, or at least most of the models do and the ones used on motd, fbref etc deffo do. No it doesn’t include the quality of the player on the ball, but by that process you would see many many more players over performing their xG than actually are.

Agree on the weghorst point tho. It’s usually better to take the stat over longer periods rather than just one instance or game tho tbf.

• Like 1

We were inches away from going 1 down in the first half and possibly a meltdown on here. VAR in our favour. Good subs because once we scored, he couldn't go panic defensive as all 3 subs had been made. No tactical genius....just lucky....just saying

Nice win though. Pope was great for them and Kasper, well he was a bit flappy on corners but at least to his credit, he tried coming for a couple of them

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, biggs said:

We were inches away from going 1 down in the first half and possibly a meltdown on here. VAR in our favour. Good subs because once we scored, he couldn't go panic defensive as all 3 subs had been made. No tactical genius....just lucky....just saying

Nice win though. Pope was great for them and Kasper, well he was a bit flappy on corners but at least to his credit, he tried coming for a couple of them

To be fair to Brendan, he could have saved a sub to bring on Lurch at the end again, but he chose not to. Perhaps he's learning.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Kasper deserves  great credit for his quick thinking in kicking the Ball long for Vardy. Brendan probably wouldn't agree that it's another way of playing by taking out most of the opposition team with one pass. I hope he learns from it. It worked very well for us in 15/16 too.

I thought Amartey marshalled the defence well last night and KDH controlled the midfield well also.

We just need to make sure we keep it up now against Leeds.

Kavanagh might be one of the poorest refs in the league, but credit to his linesman, who both called Burnley's goal off and did not flag Vardy in the build-up to our first; both calls verified by VAR.  

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Inches?  Was about a foot and it wasn’t var - the lino gave it 

sorry if it interferes with your narrative - carry on …..

My narrative.....basically the narrative on FT for the year....0-0 with 10 to go and a mistake by our backs which has happened a 'few' times this year and FT would have lost it as another BS game. By the way most goals are checked by VAR and Kasper was Mr. Flappy with them nearly getting one back immediately after we bagged one. I'm happy for the win and was happy to see Vardy and Maddison brought on

24 minutes ago, biggs said:

My narrative.....basically the narrative on FT for the year....0-0 with 10 to go and a mistake by our backs which has happened a 'few' times this year and FT would have lost it as another BS game. By the way most goals are checked by VAR and Kasper was Mr. Flappy with them nearly getting one back immediately after we bagged one. I'm happy for the win and was happy to see Vardy and Maddison brought on

Last night, Burnley conceded more shots in a home game than since they played Man City in 2019 

irrespective of the result, it was further progress in our performances ……

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Kasper deserves  great credit for his quick thinking in kicking the Ball long for Vardy. Brendan probably wouldn't agree that it's another way of playing by taking out most of the opposition team with one pass. I hope he learns from it. It worked very well for us in 15/16 too.

I thought Amartey marshalled the defence well last night and KDH controlled the midfield well also.

We just need to make sure we keep it up now against Leeds.

Odd take, Kasper was laboured getting to the pass so had no choice but to hoof it to clear the danger. There was no intention in that ball going to Vardy. 

23 hours ago, jim5000 said:

With the emergance of KDH, I'm not going to miss Tielemans as much. He's a Leicester legend for all time with his FA Cup winning wonder goal, but it's clear he wants a new challenge. KDH is playing him off the park at the moment and is going to be with us for a long time. I sense he's going to take up Vardy's role as talisman.

He was excellent again last night. Only one downside, too one footed. I played Sunday morning football but could use both feet, why can’t players be taught to use both feet? 

23 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Burnley needs to sort its roadworks. I ended up turning round and heading out through the back of beyond. Absolute shambles.

Boys looked good. Some absolute scares from Ndidi, who passed the ball to no one but Burnley never really looked like scoring. Daka was isolated though and looked well out of it. 

Agreed, I arrived back home at 2.45 am, M1 shut between J23 and J23a.  Winning does always ease the pain though. 

1 hour ago, Reg Vardy said:

Ffs we lose we are crap, we win we are lucky, clean sheet Kasper crap, concede Kasper crap….that’s one defeat in five, arguably could have won all five, consecutively the best run of form this season, and most importantly the players all look well up for it….Vardy back,Wes back shortly, Madders on fire, so much negativity on here…….

They did look up for it last night, Tielemans encouraging us in the away end at one stage in the second half. Let’s have some positivity. 

6 hours ago, biggs said:

If my Auntie had a cock she'd be Brendan Rodgers. Just enjoy the result 

11 hours ago, majaco said:

I have a question.  Tielemans?

However, I would go for the three you suggested currently.

I would instead sacrifice Ndidi for Tielemans, with KDH doing more of the defensive role. He has not been himself in recent months, although he was a bit better defensively against Burnley. Gives away cheap fouls unnecessarily, a bit clumsy at times, gives the ball up cheaply, and more importantly he just goes into hiding when the opposition presses. We really need to use another midfield player to get the ball up field instead of being handicap in this department and rely on our CBs (supposedly the weakness in terms of passing abilities) to get the ball upfield. No wonder we struggled when the opposition presses and we could not get to ball up field with pace and purpose (instead as you know we do sideway and backward passes). Against Burnley, they were not really pressing well, but still Ndidi gave away possession quite a few times. Against better opposition, he will go into hiding again.

2 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

I would instead sacrifice Ndidi for Tielemans, with KDH doing more of the defensive role. He has not been himself in recent months, although he was a bit better defensively against Burnley. Gives away cheap fouls unnecessarily, a bit clumsy at times, gives the ball up cheaply, and more importantly he just goes into hiding when the opposition presses. We really need to use another midfield player to get the ball up field instead of being handicap in this department and rely on our CBs (supposedly the weakness in terms of passing abilities) to get the ball upfield. No wonder we struggled when the opposition presses and we could not get to ball up field with pace and purpose (instead as you know we do sideway and backward passes). Against Burnley, they were not really pressing well, but still Ndidi gave away possession quite a few times. Against better opposition, he will go into hiding again.

Ndidi is essential to the team.   

• Like 2