Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Burnley 0-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

14 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Christ the league must poor at the moment then

That is part of the frustration of this season for me. In recent weeks we've played Brighton, West Ham and Wolves, all of whom are above us and I haven't been impressed with any of them. 

• Like 3

On 01/03/2022 at 21:37, lgfualol said:

****ing hell we won and kept a clean sheet. What a feeling. God we missed Vardy.

well we better hurry up and do something about replacing him then as he's no getting any younger and life without Vardy is clearly not going to be easy...!

15 hours ago, biggs said:

We were inches away from going 1 down in the first half and possibly a meltdown on here. VAR in our favour. Good subs because once we scored, he couldn't go panic defensive as all 3 subs had been made. No tactical genius....just lucky....just saying

Nice win though. Pope was great for them and Kasper, well he was a bit flappy on corners but at least to his credit, he tried coming for a couple of them

Hahahahaa good grief. I'm as negative as they come Biggsy, but this is unbelievable. 

It was offside, the linesman flagged so even in a world where VAR didn't exist the goal wouldn't have stood. We didn't get lucky with VAR either as it was offside, of all the stupidity of VAR, more often than not it will measure offsides with a modicum of accuracy. 

I thought for once this wasn't a flukey away win where there's a chunk of good fortune, like we saw vs Norwich and Brentford who missed a host of chances and that it was a sense of a law of averages that we'd eventually get another away game where enough goes right for us to win. We were more than dominant all over the pitch. I've very little fault with it other than I still don't see enough desire and sheer bloody mindedness to get in front of the opposition at set pieces to clear.

Other than that it was a proper victory. Good going forward, bit better in midfield and a lot better in defence from open play. A huge relief.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

well we better hurry up and do something about replacing him then as he's no getting any younger and life without Vardy is clearly not going to be easy...!

We've replaced him with Daka. None of us know if he's going to be good enough yet as it's quite clear he can't play up top on his own yet but in a front 2 he's already good enough to score regularly and provide. Daka's finishing is ruthless. 

The beauty of signing him now was we still have Vardy in his pomp regardless of the number of his age. The transition will have time to properly hand over.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Foxy-Lady said:

We have Nachos and Daka. Nachos himself proved himself to be a more than capable scorer and provider of assists. He was our last season’s top goal scorer and had the most goal involvements, despite sitting on the bench half the season. It is more about playing them in the right way and having the right tactics. We play Vardy in the Vardy way. We don’t need to play Nachos or Daka as lone strikers. Rodgers just need to try to fit square pegs through square holes.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

We have Nachos and Daka. Nachos himself proved himself to be a more than capable scorer and provider of assists. He was our last season’s top goal scorer and had the most goal involvements, despite sitting on the bench half the season. It is more about playing them in the right way and having the right tactics. We play Vardy in the Vardy way. We don’t need to play Nachos or Daka as lone strikers. Rodgers just need to try to fit square pegs through square holes.

Unfortunately, the last bit is a bit of a problem for him at times with players in other positions as well. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Hahahahaa good grief. I'm as negative as they come Biggsy, but this is unbelievable. 

It was offside, the linesman flagged so even in a world where VAR didn't exist the goal wouldn't have stood. We didn't get lucky with VAR either as it was offside, of all the stupidity of VAR, more often than not it will measure offsides with a modicum of accuracy. 

I thought for once this wasn't a flukey away win where there's a chunk of good fortune, like we saw vs Norwich and Brentford who missed a host of chances and that it was a sense of a law of averages that we'd eventually get another away game where enough goes right for us to win. We were more than dominant all over the pitch. I've very little fault with it other than I still don't see enough desire and sheer bloody mindedness to get in front of the opposition at set pieces to clear.

Other than that it was a proper victory. Good going forward, bit better in midfield and a lot better in defence from open play. A huge relief.

Not necessarily true.  In a world where VAR does not exist, the linesman uses his judgement to decide whether the forward is in front, behind, or level with the opponent.  He does not make a guess as to the nearest quarter of an inch, he does not attempt to judge whether one man's foot is an inch or two ahead of another man's shoulder 10 yards away.  He thinks that they look level, and so he allows play on.  This linesman on Tuesday gave the most unconvinced offside flag I have ever seen.  It went up late, and slowly.

I realise there are two schools of thought about marginal offside decisions, and Chris Wood's in the game at your place was an even more obvious example.  I for one think (regardless of who scored it) that if the forward is essentially level, the judgement should be made by human eye and the goal allowed.  A quick VAR check would take only a few seconds and the goal would be given.  Other people believe that the game is better served if, when two players are essentially level, the goal celebrations should be put on hold for a couple of minutes so that VAR has every opportunity to disallow it.  This has the added benefit (to some people) that the change in the laws 30 years ago, to "level is onside", with the intention of giving the forward an edge and allowing more goals, can be at least half reversed and many of the extra goals can now be disallowed.  It just a matter of judgement about what's best for the game.

Does anyone apart from lawmakers think the game is actually improved by the new "level no longer exists" school of offside?

13 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Not necessarily true.  In a world where VAR does not exist, the linesman uses his judgement to decide whether the forward is in front, behind, or level with the opponent.  He does not make a guess as to the nearest quarter of an inch, he does not attempt to judge whether one man's foot is an inch or two ahead of another man's shoulder 10 yards away.  He thinks that they look level, and so he allows play on.  This linesman on Tuesday gave the most unconvinced offside flag I have ever seen.  It went up late, and slowly.

I realise there are two schools of thought about marginal offside decisions, and Chris Wood's in the game at your place was an even more obvious example.  I for one think (regardless of who scored it) that if the forward is essentially level, the judgement should be made by human eye and the goal allowed.  A quick VAR check would take only a few seconds and the goal would be given.  Other people believe that the game is better served if, when two players are essentially level, the goal celebrations should be put on hold for a couple of minutes so that VAR has every opportunity to disallow it.  This has the added benefit (to some people) that the change in the laws 30 years ago, to "level is onside", with the intention of giving the forward an edge and allowing more goals, can be at least half reversed and many of the extra goals can now be disallowed.  It just a matter of judgement about what's best for the game.

Does anyone apart from lawmakers think the game is actually improved by the new "level no longer exists" school of offside?

much of what you say about offsides will get plenty of support but in the context of tuesday evening, cornet was almost a foot offside and the lino has to wait to put up his flag. once the ball is in he can just keep it down cos he knows it will be checked. he decided it was off and he was right.

• Like 1

Our goals on Tuesday night illustrated a couple of things:

Goal 1.  It's sometimes better to play the ball forwards, instead of endlessly sidewards and backwards.

Goal 2.  It's sometimes better to beat the man on the outside and cross the ball, instead of playing endless triangles on the edge of the box.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

much of what you say about offsides will get plenty of support but in the context of tuesday evening, cornet was almost a foot offside and the lino has to wait to put up his flag. once the ball is in he can just keep it down cos he knows it will be checked. he decided it was off and he was right.

He was right under the new law, but the way he put his flag up (he was directly opposite me) was very unconvincing.  Slow motion, it was.

I do wonder what linesmen are told to do when they can't possibly know whether it;s offside.  If the ones that are even closer than Tuesday's, the ones that take 2 minutes for VAR to decide, happen, then obviously the linesman has a 50-50 chance of getting it right because the "level" leeway has gone.  He has to have a guess.  Are they told to play by the old law and let it go, with the effect that they will allow play to go on more than it should and there will be corners etc. given that shouldn't be?  Or are they told to have a guess anyway with the result that half the time they will be right, a quarter of the time play will go on when it shouldn't, and a quarter of the time play we be stopped when it shouldn't?

6 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

That is part of the frustration of this season for me. In recent weeks we've played Brighton, West Ham and Wolves, all of whom are above us and I haven't been impressed with any of them. 

Totally agree. We did play well against Burnley. We have reached that level in certain other games. Liverpool and Manchester United spring to mind. I still believe that if our injury crisis had not been so severe we would be higher up the league and wouldn’t have capitulated in matches like spurs and West Ham and beaten the likes of Brighton and arsenal. The constant change in our defence in particular has not aided teamwork our confidence. It is so frustrating as this season has been an opportunity missed. Let’s hope our form and fitness continues to improve and we go on a run in the league and deep in the European conference league. There is still a lot to play for. 

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Hey....I'm usually fairly positive but the collapse in the final 2 minutes of the spurs match, the forest match shambles and a bunch of others has my glass half empty....yeah I was over the top here.....just very frustrated

• Like 2

22 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Unfortunately, the last bit is a bit of a problem for him at times with players in other positions as well. 

Agree with this. Replacing Vardy will not be a like-for-like solution as there is no other player like Vardy.

replacing Vardy will probably require a change in style/formation into which some of our existing key players may not actually fit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Agree with this. Replacing Vardy will not be a like-for-like solution as there is no other player like Vardy.

replacing Vardy will probably require a change in style/formation into which some of our existing key players may not actually fit.

Absolutely. I'm sure we all appreciate Vardy but I don't think until he's actually retired that the football world in general will fully appreciate what a special and one off he was/is. We're so fortunate that he came here and stayed. If he'd been at Man City or Liverpool he'd have been Aguero/Salah+.

• Thanks 1