Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

45 minutes ago, MPH said:

If you were to say the  the current Russian regime were Neanderthals you’d probably get more agreement. The fact so many opposition leaders imprisoned, ‘ missing’ poisoned or falling out of windows let’s you know there ARE people against what’s going on in Russia… the exodus of Rich  Russians leaving the country, the opposition to the conscription and the fact you are likely to face beatings and imprisonment simply for disagreeing with the current Russian regime does tell you the problem lays with the current Russian government not necessarily with Russia as a whole

But the Russian Folk have to take responsibility…Or we will continue to  have cretins like Putin ,who ride on the back of their civilians…Boris Johnson tried it too.

at another level granted,but this is one crazy world…

34 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Russia has an estimated 10,000 tanks.  I'm sure not all immediately usable but they ain't going to run out just yet. 

The bigger issue is that most of the weapons and vehicles supplied thus far have been from stockpiled weapons in the west.  It's not really hurt countries financially or stretched their own capabilities in the same way as providing MBTs will.  

MBTs are costly and have not been produced in vast numbers after the end of the cold war.  Supplying them to Ukraine will require countries to actually start forking out immediately to build or acquire replacements.  That's not quite the same as the stuff that's been supplied so far.  

Perhaps the biggest issue though is the tech and support vehicles required to support Challengers etc you can't just run these things in isolation - they need significant support vehicles, engineers and so on. 

Complex issue for the west to grapple with which is why they have been kicking the can down the road.  However, it's crunch time. 

Sort of agree, though I doubt that the 10000 tanks Russia have work or many are less than 50 years old. As we saw at the start of the war, they don't maintain the tyre on their new kit, so what are the chances their museum pieces are all working.

I suspect the west has realised that MBTs are less effective in battle than they were years ago, with air superiority and drones taking over. So I'm sure we keep them out of habit rather than an expectation they will ever be used for anything. The west has also seen how effective light troops armed with nlaws can be against heavy armour.

The challengers have regular diesel engines as do leopards so they should be able to learn to maintain these. I suspect that the Abrams won't be delivered as they are too different maintenance wise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

But the Russian Folk have to take responsibility…Or we will continue to  have cretins like Putin ,who ride on the back of their civilians…Boris Johnson tried it too.

at another level granted,but this is one crazy world…

people are being beaten, tortured and imprisoned as well as being killed just for voicing Ooooh to the regime there.  They fear for their life. You have to understand the stress that puts on someone surely?

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MPH said:

people are being beaten, tortured and imprisoned as well as being killed just for voicing Ooooh to the regime there.  They fear for their life. You have to understand the stress that puts on someone surely?

Of course…but the revolt has to come from within…

Its hard,but hard for those Ukraine young families & kids asking that simple WHY.

not forgetting the peasant farmers ,grandmas/ Granddads & dwellers around the small province towns..

Russia made an aggressive move without violent profication from a no threat neighbour…Then first attacked civilian living areas,on genocide proportions, that hate & trust won’t now subside ,history has a long tail..

I was close many years ago,in buying a Roma-wagon & 2 horses then travelling & trading through Russia to the Chines border,taking ca 4-5yrs. I had just completed Indian continent,met some Russian travellers on the way..( Wall had fallen) built up some decent admin & interested contacts…Found out 2 German family groups were already underway,with Zigeuner ( Gypsie) wagons.

One was into their 3rd year…

Then life‘s twist of fate held me/family back making final descision..Though into preparations with authorities,with quizzical,but endorsed thoughts and papers.

I have no demeaning thoughts on the average Russian,and even after they opened

up,the authorities still had a tight draconian aggressive grip on the country,freedom was/is just another empty word..So the stresses of the normal Russian joe blogs are not unknown…But there is no cavalary over the crest of the Tundra,nor just around the Kremlin quarters..So worlds hope is an internal putch/revolution,even a small take over…So that Russian integrity and base Govt. can be grounded.

Unfortunately only the Russian can make that change with many sacrifices…

Easy said than done…If Putin and his cretins don’t fall ,Ukraine war zone and the genocide will continue,until Ukraine falls in 5-15 years time,or Ukraine stubborness

wins the day over Russian troops phsyc.

I have seen enough unjust squabbles,and human atrocities on his fellow man,but this takes the pale,because the emptiness of reasoning from a so called civilised

advanced European country..Such things actually get to me..

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Of course…but the revolt has to come from within…

Its hard,but hard for those Ukraine young families & kids asking that simple WHY.

not forgetting the peasant farmers ,grandmas/ Granddads & dwellers around the small province towns..

Russia made an aggressive move without violent profication from a no threat neighbour…Then first attacked civilian living areas,on genocide proportions, that hate & trust won’t now subside ,history has a long tail..

I was close many years ago,in buying a Roma-wagon & 2 horses then travelling & trading through Russia to the Chines border,taking ca 4-5yrs. I had just completed Indian continent,met some Russian travellers on the way..( Wall had fallen) built up some decent admin & interested contacts…Found out 2 German family groups were already underway,with Zigeuner ( Gypsie) wagons.

One was into their 3rd year…

Then life‘s twist of fate held me/family back making final descision..Though into preparations with authorities,with quizzical,but endorsed thoughts and papers.

I have no demeaning thoughts on the average Russian,and even after they opened

up,the authorities still had a tight draconian aggressive grip on the country,freedom was/is just another empty word..So the stresses of the normal Russian joe blogs are not unknown…But there is no cavalary over the crest of the Tundra,nor just around the Kremlin quarters..So worlds hope is an internal putch/revolution,even a small take over…So that Russian integrity and base Govt. can be grounded.

Unfortunately only the Russian can make that change with many sacrifices…

Easy said than done…If Putin and his cretins don’t fall ,Ukraine war zone and the genocide will continue,until Ukraine falls in 5-15 years time,or Ukraine stubborness

wins the day over Russian troops phsyc.

I have seen enough unjust squabbles,and human atrocities on his fellow man,but this takes the pale,because the emptiness of reasoning from a so called civilised

advanced European country..Such things actually get to me..

I totally get what you’re saying in that first paragraph, but the ordinary Russian person, whilst feeling repulsed by the reasoning of the invasion ( if they are able to track down a balanced reporting of the war) will realize their life is at risk if they protest.  They are left with a dilemma. “ are the Ukranian families more valuable than my own life/ family”

I have long been a super of Ukraine and I feel desperately sorry for what’s going on over there. I’ve sent money to Ukrainian charities to help with the displaced people over there…

But I do understand the dilemma of some Russian people fearing for their life and feeling too afraid to speak out/ protest. It’s very easy for me and you from the comfort of our own homes telling them they should but until we are in their position then we won’t fully understand the fear and danger it could bring.

Edited by MPH

21 minutes ago, MPH said:

I totally get what you’re saying in that first paragraph, but the ordinary Russian person, whilst feeling repulsed by the reasoning of the invasion ( if they are able to track down a balanced reporting of the war) will realize their life is at risk if they protest.  They are left with a dilemma. “ are the Ukranian families more valuable than my own life/ family”

I have long been a super of Ukraine and I feel desperately sorry for what’s going on over there. I’ve sent money to Ukrainian charities to help with the displaced people over there…

But I do understand the dilemma of some Russian people fearing for their life and feeling too afraid to speak out/ protest. It’s very easy for me and you from the comfort of our own homes telling them they should but until we are in their position then we won’t fully understand the fear and danger it could bring.

Actually couldnt agree more…we both wait for that unknown miracle that changes

both Ukrainian & Russian circumstances for the better….

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Leopards off to Ukraine as well then. Not going to be a great look when the first western provided tank gets knocked out probably due to miss use and it gets nabbed by the Russians. 

Will be interesting to see how the performance of the Challenger/Leopard stacks up, for obvious reasons they likely won't be the latest variants but should still be able to slap about the antiques that Moscow are still using. 

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Leopards off to Ukraine as well then. Not going to be a great look when the first western provided tank gets knocked out probably due to miss use and it gets nabbed by the Russians. 

Will be interesting to see how the performance of the Challenger/Leopard stacks up, for obvious reasons they likely won't be the latest variants but should still be able to slap about the antiques that Moscow are still using. 

My god the training, they will have old shite, British, European and US tanks to learn.

2 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

USA to send 31 Abrams tanks to Ukraine. Although it's going to take months for them to arrive.

Only doing it to make Germany release the leopards. 

There are 2300 in Europe, once countries are allowed to send them to Ukraine they should get the 300 they have asked for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

USA to send 31 Abrams tanks to Ukraine. Although it's going to take months for them to arrive.

it’s really only going to take months, so the Ukrainians get the training they need to make effective use of them. But the Ukrainians are quick learners…

On 25/01/2023 at 09:38, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I suspect they'll be used further back in the battle areas. Given their mobility, stability, long-range armaments and resilience, they could be used to break up attacks and break up Russian lines.

It could be analogous to the Iraq wars where large numbers of  Russian hardware were left burnt out and littering the rear of the Allied advance. Air cover will be key to protecting the tanks. Let's hope the Ukrainian crews will be trained to a par with the Americans, British gas and German crews.

1 hour ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Seems to have been several explosions in Iran overnight and people speculating that it was mostly drone factories that have been supplying Russia. One can only hope. 

Worrying development if it is, we don't want to escalate this conflict with more countries directly involved.

What are your sources?

10 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Worrying development if it is, we don't want to escalate this conflict with more countries directly involved.

What are your sources?

It’s only from Twitter but there’s a lot of noise from various accounts. 

A particular account I follow which has covered it is @WarMonitors which follows conflicts around the world. 

Search Iran or Tehran explosions and you’ll see it all. 

I do get it’s not the most accurate sources in the world but I’d say there’s too much smoke to be no fire. 

Edit to add screenshot example. 

0CEA96D0-061B-4670-9E47-479ED3BBA6B9.jpeg

Edited by Ginger_Filbert

Be interesting to see who claims responsibility for this. Mind you, they had it coming; popular uprisings gaining momentum? Israeli? The states? Azerbaijan? (Their embassy security chief attached and killed in Tehran) Not sure Ukraine would have the reach but who knows? They are proposing up a terror state so I for one can understand the rationale behind this, but again really depends on who as to why. 

Edited by casablancas

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

What are your sources?

Can't see this escalating. Looks like a typical cyber attack on Iran from the IDF. I'd be surprised if it was a drone that hit that Oil plant. IDF have previous form for causing explosions at Oil facilities in Iran usually via a combination of cyber, pen. testing and social engineering techniques. In fact it's likely that whilst the tools for the attack are most likely Israeli the actual execution would have been carried out by an unsuspecting Iranian working at the facility. 

Ukraine war: 80 years on, we are facing German tanks again - Putin https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64502504

so he claims that they are now facing Germany and ‘the collective west’ again also the N**I. After his speech there is a military parade with Russian hardware that some have the Z mark on it…similarities? it’s so ridiculous and obvious that it’s shocking!  

• Like 2