Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

Russia , the United States and Europe being annihilated in a war might actually ‘save’ the rest of the world long term :D

....so long as radioactive fallout (among other effects)is kind enough to obey international borders and stop to have its passport checked. :ph34r:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading through the key points from Biden’s speech and liked this comment:

He says President Putin chose this war, and he could easily end it. 

If Russia stopped invading Ukraine it would stop the war, but if Ukraine stopped defending itself it would mean the end of Ukraine, he says

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Quite possibly.

I'm not sure how it changes much about the overall situation with those weapons, though, Cold War-style rhetoric from Putin aside.

From what I’ve read it isn’t much change. Russia has refused to let inspectors in, this is more symbolic than anything I think. 

Perspective of these things can change over time, but my first instinct is that NATO will be relatively happy about the way things have gone over the last few days - have conferences and discussions, albeit without total agreement on everything but still together as allies, Biden making a trip to Kyiv, then Putin’s expected address, but then sandwiching that with what seems like a non-gaffe speech from Biden in Warsaw. It certainly feels like this wasn’t just thrown together and is a deliberate attempt to control the narrative. Or rather not allow Putin a free shot at worldwide propaganda.

Basically like trying to demote him to an afternoon slot at Glastonbury.

Edited by Dunge

An interesting long read on Putin in today's FT. The upshot? According to those around him, he sees himself as a latter day Peter the Great and believes his willingess to sacrifice the lives of Russian soldiers will outlast the West's appetite to commit resources to support Ukraine. Sample quote:

"But Putin tells them “he has already factored in the discounts”, another former senior Russian official says. “He says, ‘We pay a huge price, I get it. We underestimated how difficult it could be.’ But how can you convince a crazy man? His brain will collapse if he realises it was a mistake,” the person adds. “He doesn’t trust anyone.”

On the plus side, it doesn't sound as if he has much appetite to push the nuke button, so there is that...

"How Putin blundered into Ukraine - then doubled down."

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

As a taxpayer, I'm fine with that. I'll pay their solicitor fees. 

Led By Donkeys are minted, so I don't think you'll need to. Love em. Some of the stuff they've done to call out our own corrupt government, the farce of Brexit etc over the last few years has been top notch.

More power to them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

1 year anniversary of the invasion, let’s hope nothing too crazy happens today as Russia love an anniversary. 

Here’s hoping! A year of far too much bloodshed, tragedy and all for a cause in the minds of a disillusioned select few. 

Edited by fox_favourite

35 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-64754510

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-64753820

Two interesting articles on the position of two big players - China and India - on all this.

What a list of countries that voted against the motion! If they’re voting with you, you know you’ve done something wrong. 

2 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

What a list of countries that voted against the motion! If they’re voting with you, you know you’ve done something wrong. 

Yeah, hardly exalted company, is it?

What is more interesting, however, is the countries that abstained and why - particularly the Chinese stance.

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, hardly exalted company, is it?

What is more interesting, however, is the countries that abstained and why - particularly the Chinese stance.

Presume for the Chinese it's to ensure Russian support when they rattle into Taiwan in 2027 (as said by Joseph Wu, the Taiwanese Foreign Minister).

12 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Presume for the Chinese it's to ensure Russian support when they rattle into Taiwan in 2027 (as said by Joseph Wu, the Taiwanese Foreign Minister).

Any Chinese invasion of Taiwan will be met with a direct military response by the Americans (yes, it's not set in stone, but it's like Israels nuclear capacity: everyone who needs to know knows what the score is).

Any conflict between those major powers (especially if the Chinese have Russian support) will in all likelihood escalate to the use of nuclear weaponry.

If the Chinese think this turns out any other way then they've terribly miscalculated or simply don't give a toss about themselves or the rest of the world. I would posit neither of those things are true.

They'll keep talking tough to maintain face, but that's as far as it will go.

I attended a meeting yesterday focused on the one-year anniversary of the invasion. In it, a seasoned analyst spoke who in 2021 had predicted Russia would invade Ukraine months before it happened, when almost everybody else thought it was still a very remote possibility. Yesterday somebody asked him what the biggest risk in markets is at the moment - Fed rate hikes, a global recession, stagflation? His answer: "Markets are massively underestimating the possibility of a ground war in Europe."