Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

Some interesting news in this but also  worth noting Wagner boss denies they are winding down in Ukraine.

Ukraine war live updates: Ukraine signals counterattack is coming as Wagner mercenaries suffer large losses around Bakhmut

This is CNBC's live blog tracking developments on the war in Ukraine. See below for the latest updates. 

Ukraine's most senior ground forces commander sent a strong signal Thursday that the country's armed forces will launch a much-anticipated counteroffensive "very soon" to take back lost territory in eastern Ukraine.

Colonel-General Oleksandr Syrskyi said that the Wagner Group of mercenaries fighting in Donetsk were losing manpowe, equipment and "considerable strength" and that "very soon" his forces would take advantage of the "opportunity" that presented.

The comments come just as Russian forces are seen to be losing momentum in Donetsk in eastern Ukraine.

Separately, the head of the Wagner Group of mercenary forces in Ukraine, Yevgeny Prigoin, denied a Bloomberg report suggesting that he is preparing to reduce Wagner's involvement in the conflict after a major dispute with Russia's Ministry of Defense.

Thursday, 23 Mar 2023 07:38 AM EDT

Mercenary fighters' boss denies operations to be scaled down in Ukraine

The head of the Wagner Group of mercenary forces in Ukraine has denied a Bloomberg report suggesting that he is preparing to reduce the unit's involvement in the conflict.

Citing people familiar with the matter, Bloomberg said Wagner's leader Yevgeny Prigozhin was preparing to scale down his private army operations in Ukraine after the Russian military command cut supplies of people and ammunition to the group. The report said Prigozhin was seen shifting attention to Africa operations.

In a response posted on Prigozhin's business' Telegram channel, Prigozhin said: "I don't know what Bloomberg is reporting, but apparently they know better than I do what we're going to do next. As long as our country needs us, we are fighting on the territory of Ukraine."

Prigozhin has been involved in a very public dispute with Russia's Ministry of Defense for months after criticizing its military strategy in Ukraine. He has recently complained of a lack of ammunition and support for his fighters on the front line in Bakhmut in eastern Ukraine, suggesting he was being purposefully sabotaged by the defense ministry. It denied the accusations. Earlier in March, Prigozhin warned that the entire front line could collapse if his forces were forced to retreat from Bakhmut.

There are growing signs that Russia's offensive in eastern Ukraine and around Bakhmut is losing momentum, defense analysts say. Ukraine's most senior ground forces commander said the country will launch a much-anticipated counteroffensive "very soon" in the area around Bakhmut, the scene of bloody fighting for over seven months.

— Holly Ellyatt

Thursday, 23 Mar 2023 06:50 AM EDT

Ukraine signals counterattack is coming as Wagner mercenaries take a hit

Ukraine's most senior ground forces commander said the country's forces will launch a much-anticipated counteroffensive "very soon" just as Russian forces are seen to be losing momentum in Donetsk in eastern Ukraine.

Colonel-General Oleksandr Syrskyi said on Telegram Thursday that Russian forces have not given up "hope of taking Bakhmut at any cost, despite the losses in manpower and equipment," noting that the main Russian units taking a hit were mercenaries in the Wagner Group.

"Without sparing anything, they lose considerable strength," he said, adding that "very soon we will take advantage of this opportunity, as we once did near Kyiv, Kharkiv, Balakliya and Kupiansk," he said, according to comments translated by Google.

The comments come as military analysts view Russia's offensive around Bakhmut in eastern Ukraine as losing momentum after seven months of brutal, incessant fighting that has left Bakhmut largely in ruins and thousands of soldiers dead on both sides, estimates of daily fatalities suggest.

Ukraine has previously signalled that it would launch a counter-offensive in spring but has also been waiting for the arrival of more Western weaponry.

Syrskyi said soldiers on the front line in Bakhmut had demonstrated "superhuman resilience, courage and bravery" in the face of "continuous fire of the enemy's artillery and aircraft."

— Holly Ellyatt

Thursday, 23 Mar 2023 05:50 AM EDT

Russia making gains in Luhansk, UK says

Fighting in and around Bakhmut in the region of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine continues to be in the spotlight, but in neighboring Luhansk, heavy fighting has been taking place since the start of March around parts of the Svatove-Kremina sector of the front line in the northern part of the region.

There, Britain's Ministry of Defense noted that "Russia has partially regained control over the immediate approaches to Kremina town, which was under immediate Ukrainian threat earlier in the year."

In certain areas, Russia has made gains of up to several kilometers, the ministry noted.

"Russian commanders are likely trying to expand a security zone west from the defence lines they have prepared along higher ground, and integrate the natural obstacle of the Oskil River," the ministry noted, adding that Russian forces are hoping to recapture Kupiansk, a logistics hub.

"Operationally, Russia's intent in the north-east likely remains defensive. Commanders probably fear this is one of the sectors where Ukraine could attempt major offensive operations," the ministry said.

— Holly Ellyatt

Thursday, 23 Mar 2023 04:02 AM EDT

The West wants to tear Russia apart, senior Moscow official claims

A top Russian official and close ally of President Vladimir Putin claimed Thursday that the West wants to tear Russia apart, Russian news agencies reported.

Security Council Deputy Chairman Dmitry Medvedev told Russian media Thursday that the West's "desire is very simple - to destabilize the political situation, divide the country into several parts that would be large enough, make agreements with each of these parts, denuclearize and demilitarize all of them and then offer its [security] services," state news agency Tass reported.

Medvedev, who has been associated with Russian nationalist rhetoric and saber-rattling during the war in Ukraine, has — like other Russian officials including President Putin — claimed that the West's real motive in helping Ukraine is to see Russia destroyed, without presenting any evidence of this. Ukraine's Western allies say they are helping Kyiv to defend itself from Russia's unprovoked aggression and to restore its territorial sovereignty.

Speaking to reporters Thursday, Medvedev claimed that once the West divides Russia, the separate parts would then "even have a chance to join NATO, particularly if they give away our national resources."

"They [Western countries] don't want to have an equal partnership with us because they don't need it," Medvedev said, adding that the same goes for the West's attitude to China.

Medvedev is widely seen as a stooge for Russian President Vladimir Putin, having served as both president and prime minister in Russia in the last 20 years, swapping roles with Putin to circumvent constitutional rules banning leaders from serving more than two terms in office consecutively.

While this so-called "tandemocracy" played out, Medvedev was seen as always subordinate to Putin no matter what role he had.

— Holly Ellyatt

Thursday, 23 Mar 2023 03:35 AM EDT

Russian forces are losing momentum in Bakhmut, defense think tank says

The "tempo" of the Russian offensive in Bakhmut "appears to be slowing," said the Institute for the Study of War Wednesday in its latest update. Ukrainian officials have reported fewer combat clashes in the city in recent days, the think tank noted.

However, Russian forces are currently increasing the tempo of operations around Avdiivka aiming to encircle the town, the Institute added. Ukraine said earlier this week the town could soon become a "second Bakhmut," according to Reuters.

Ukraine's Ministry of Defense also noted in its update Wednesday that the Russian forces' offensive potential in Bakhmut is decreasing.

Although the Russian assault in Bakhmut is possibly "losing the limited momentum it had obtained," there is still a danger that the Ukrainian garrison in Bakhmut could be surrounded, the U.K.'s Ministry of Defense said Wednesday.

— Audrey Wan

Wednesday, 22 Mar 2023 06:13 PM EDT

White House downplays Putin awarding Russian pilot involved in downing U.S. drone over Black Sea

The White House downplayed Russian President Vladimir Putin's presentation of an award to one of the pilots involved in the downing of a U.S. drone over the Black Sea.

"I don't know of another military in the world that would award a pilot for ramming into a drone," National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said.

"I gotta throw the flag on this one, I don't know why they would throw a bravery award at a pilot who was at best, an idiot," Kirby added.

Last week, Russia's Ministry of Defense said its two fighter aircraft did not come in contact with the U.S. drone.

— Amanda Macias

Wednesday, 22 Mar 2023 04:34 PM EDT

Treasury has imposed more than 2,500 Russia-related sanctions since war began in February, Yellen says

U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said that the federal department she oversees has imposed more than 2,500 Russia-related sanctions following Moscow's full-scale invasion of Ukraine last year.

"We have degraded the Kremlin's ability to replace more than 9,000 pieces of heavy military equipment that it has lost on the battlefield. We have also stabilized global energy markets and cut into the Kremlin's revenues by implementing innovative caps on the price of Russian oil," Yellen said in opening remarks before the Senate's Financial Services and General Government subcommittee.

Yellen also referenced her visit to Kyiv in February, where she met with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and other Ukrainian officials.

"As part of a broad coalition, we are responsibly disbursing vital economic assistance to Ukraine," Yellen said. She added that "in my visit to Kyiv a month ago, Ukrainian officials told me firsthand about the critical impact of our work."

— Amanda Macias

Wednesday, 22 Mar 2023 03:58 PM EDT

This U.S.-made drone made its combat debut in Ukraine

A Utah-based drone system developed and manufactured by Fortem Technologies is helping Ukrainian forces capture drones used by Russia on the battlefield.

The counter-unmanned aerial system, dubbed Drone Hunter F700, was initially donated to Ukrainian forces at the start of the war and then made its combat debut on the battlefield in May.

In Ukraine, Drone Hunter, as its name implies, captures Russian surveillance and reconnaissance drones by shooting a net around them to either ground or tow the system away from the battlefield.

"The Ukrainians love the system because they are able to reuse some of the drones that they capture. They are actually getting additional assets out of this," Jon Gruen, chairman and CEO at Fortem Technologies, told CNBC.

Warren Brown, Fortem Technologies vice president of marketing, echoed Gruen and said that in some cases, Ukrainian forces have been able to fingerprint the captured drones.

"If you explode the drone then you don't have any reconnaissance of where it came and what it's mission is," Brown added.

Gruen explained that Fortem Technologies has developed the Drone Hunter system after receiving specific feedback from Ukrainian forces.

The counter-unmanned aerial system, which can be used completely autonomously, has recently been modified to help counter Iranian-made drones being used by Russian forces in Ukraine.

Gruen said that Ukraine has about 10 of Fortem's drones currently in operation, but that more are on the way.

"From start to finish it takes about three days to learn how to operate the system," Gruen added.

— Amanda Macias

Wednesday, 22 Mar 2023 12:56 PM EDT

IAEA chief calls for powerline repairs at Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant

The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency said the last remaining backup power line at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant still needs to be repaired.

"Without the backup line, any damage to the 750 kV line [main external power line] will result in total loss of all off-site power to the plant," IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said in a statement.

Grossi said that the backup power supply line has been disconnected and damaged since the beginning of March, and that the overall situation at the plant "remains perilous."

"I once again call for a commitment from all sides to secure nuclear safety and security protection at the plant," he said.

— Amanda Macias

Wednesday, 22 Mar 2023 11:34 AM EDT

Death toll in Kyiv rises following overnight drone strikes

At least seven people have died following a Russian drone strike on the Ukrainian capital Kyiv in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Head of Kyiv's regional police Andriy Nebytov said on Telegram that "a total of 12 drones were shot down by security and defense forces in the Kyiv region during the attack by the occupiers."

Nebytov said that nine people so far have been injured from the attack, which was carried out by Iranian-made drones.

— Amanda Macias

Wednesday, 22 Mar 2023 09:01 AM EDT

Volodymyr Zelenskyy visits troops on Bakhmut frontline

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy visit Ukrainian soldiers on the Bakhmut frontline in eastern Ukraine.

-Ukrainian Presidency | Anadolu Agency | Getty Images

Thursday, 23 Mar 2023 03:22 AM EDT

Read CNBC's previous live coverage here:

Ukraine hit with deadly strikes after China’s Xi leaves Moscow; Zelenskyy visits frontline city Bakhmut

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, MPH said:

Tatarsky was presented with a statue which had a bomb hidden inside, according to Interior Ministry sources quoted by Russian state media.

lol that’s brutal.

You couldn't make it up, not unless you were Tarrentino or someone, the girl walks into a talk he's giving at some posh restaurant, with a bust of his head with a bomb inside, the security says you can't bring that in here it might have a bomb inside, she tells Tatarsky so he says something like don't be silly, let's have a look, so she presents him with it, 5 minutes later it blows up killing him and half the people at the talk.

Must have been some powerful explosive looking at the video though. 13.30

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/2/prominent-russian-military-blogger-killed-in-cafe-blast-reports

Edited by yorkie1999

On 04/04/2023 at 07:30, Jon the Hat said:

Great news.  I can tell you my many Finnish colleagues have been keeping a close eye on the process and are delighted.

Massive coup for NATO ..  they are militarily very very strong and will provide a shield for the Baltic states that are in Putins sights ..  he really did shoot himself up the back passage with this one .. :thumbup:

9 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Massive coup for NATO ..  they are militarily very very strong and will provide a shield for the Baltic states that are in Putins sights ..  he really did shoot himself up the back passage with this one .. :thumbup:

From Wiki. And other sources.

Finland's official policy states that a wartime military strength of 280,000[1] personnel constitutes a sufficient deterrent. The army consists of a highly mobile field army backed up by local defence units. The army defends the national territory and its military strategy employs the use of the heavily forested terrain and numerous lakes to wear down an aggressor, instead of attempting to hold the attacking army on the frontier.

Finland's defence budget for 2022 equals approximately 5.8 billion. The voluntary overseas service is highly popular and troops serve around the world in UN, NATO and EU missions. With an arsenal of 700 howitzers, 700 heavy mortars and 100 multiple rocket launchers, Finland has the largest artillery capability in western Europe.[8] Homeland defence willingness against a superior enemy is at 83%, one of the highest rates in Europe.[9]

And when backed by NATO they will be pretty formidable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

, Finland has the largest artillery capability in western Europe.[8] Homeland defence willingness against a superior enemy is at 83%, one of the highest rates in Europe.[9]

And when backed by NATO they will be pretty formidable.

The Scandinavian countries have always been a bit ahead of the curve on the Russians.

In Norway both men and women have to do compulsory national service. I think most men in Finland do.

I've got a friend that lives high in the Norwegian Arctic Circle. I visited him 2016. Really nice guy. I was really surprised when he told me he had a gun, knew how to use it and had been in the army. When I asked him why he just looked at me like I was an idiot and his demeanour changed. And just said: the Russians.

He then explained to me all about National Service and that high in Arctic Norway, they all have guns and they're ready if the Russians ever invade through the northern border.

Edited by Guesty
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/04/2023 at 09:35, CosbehFox said:

Highly recommend listening to the Economist podcast series 'Next Year in Moscow'. 

Told from the angle of Russian against the war. 

The economist do some great podcast series, I really enjoyed ‘the Prince’ which educated me and made me view Xi Jinping in a different light so I’ll give this a listen.

Incidentally it looks like China have made their move in terms of diplomacy with Ukraine. If China brokered a peace deal, I wonder how that would go down in the US, especially with the recent Chinese efforts at bringing Saudi and Iran back together. 

39 minutes ago, Lionator said:

The economist do some great podcast series, I really enjoyed ‘the Prince’ which educated me and made me view Xi Jinping in a different light so I’ll give this a listen.

Incidentally it looks like China have made their move in terms of diplomacy with Ukraine. If China brokered a peace deal, I wonder how that would go down in the US, especially with the recent Chinese efforts at bringing Saudi and Iran back together. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65396613

More on this.

And "The Prince" is certainly a very interesting listen. Just adds to the viewpoint that China can't just be written off as just another backwards totalitarian state afraid of the nebulous concept of "freedom".

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65396613

More on this.

And "The Prince" is certainly a very interesting listen. Just adds to the viewpoint that China can't just be written off as just another backwards totalitarian state afraid of the nebulous concept of "freedom".

Ultimately if the world is going to solve it's problems of the 21st century and beyond, the western countries need to collaborate with China. Fair enough, there are strategic aims and values for both the US and China but there needs be a mature, constructive approach to dealing with them. Or else we're going to end up with horrific climate issues for one. 

I don't know enough about the Chinese state to suggest whether it is a totalitarian state or not but there are things that can be learnt from China and things they can learn from us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

Ultimately if the world is going to solve it's problems of the 21st century and beyond, the western countries need to collaborate with China. Fair enough, there are strategic aims and values for both the US and China but there needs be a mature, constructive approach to dealing with them. Or else we're going to end up with horrific climate issues for one. 

I don't know enough about the Chinese state to suggest whether it is a totalitarian state or not but there are things that can be learnt from China and things they can learn from us.

Absolutely, and I've said the same for years - some issues require a world response, and that obviously includes China. Climate change being at the top of the damn list.

I think every talking head who knows a lot or a little about the matter has their viewpoint on what kind of state China is, but personally I'd go for authoritarian as opposed to totalitarian - the latter term just tends to be a derogation used by those who can't see past surface appearances to what is being discussed here.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Absolutely, and I've said the same for years - some issues require a world response, and that obviously includes China. Climate change being at the top of the damn list.

I think every talking head who knows a lot or a little about the matter has their viewpoint on what kind of state China is, but personally I'd go for authoritarian as opposed to totalitarian - the latter term just tends to be a derogation used by those who can't see past surface appearances to what is being discussed here.

Despite  the forced Re-education, torture, forced abortion  and imprisonment of the  Uyghurs, you’d still not consider them totalitarian?

9 minutes ago, MPH said:

Despite  the forced Re-education, torture, forced abortion  and imprisonment of the  Uyghurs, you’d still not consider them totalitarian?

To use a comparison, North Korea is totalitarian. China doesn't go that far on the scale - or there would be no Western businesses doing business there, hardly any Chinese nationals free to travel, and no real engagement at all.

Their treatment of the Uighurs is abominable, but that's not the way they treat every citizen under their control who has the "wrong" idea of the state in the way that a totalitarian regime would.

Edit: This discussion changes nothing regarding the fact that on at least some matters engagement and collaboration with China will be a matter of necessity.

Edited by leicsmac

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

To use a comparison, North Korea is totalitarian. China doesn't go that far on the scale - or there would be no Western businesses doing business there, hardly any Chinese nationals free to travel, and no real engagement at all.

Their treatment of the Uighurs is abominable, but that's not the way they treat every citizen under their control who has the "wrong" idea of the state in the way that a totalitarian regime would.

Edit: This discussion changes nothing regarding the fact that on at least some matters engagement and collaboration with China will be a matter of necessity.

I wouldn’t compare nations to decide who is totalitaria,n, I’d look to the definition of the word to see who is. Granted,  North Korea are an extreme version so using that word for them would be beyond contestation.

However, I’d suggest that  the main reason other people/ groups are not persecuted  is because they don’t have such a strong autonomous/ religious identity that , ‘dilutes’  the Chinese identify or challenges what the communist party is trying to .

But anyway, that’s really a discussion for another thread.

Edited by MPH

10 hours ago, MPH said:

I wouldn’t compare nations to decide who is totalitaria,n, I’d look to the definition of the word to see who is. Granted,  North Korea are an extreme version so using that word for them would be beyond contestation.

However, I’d suggest that  the main reason other people/ groups are not persecuted  is because they don’t have such a strong autonomous/ religious identity that , ‘dilutes’  the Chinese identify or challenges what the communist party is trying to .

But anyway, that’s really a discussion for another thread.

Right..

totalitarianism, form of government that theoretically permits no individual freedom and that seeks to subordinate all aspects of individual life to the authority of the state. (https://www.britannica.com/topic/totalitarianism)

It's by definition extreme as it is at the most extreme end of the authoritarian spectrum.

China doesn't do that, not to all individual citizens, and I think that's reasonably evident.

But yes, discussion for another time.

On topic, it will be interesting to see what role, if any, China plays in a peace process henceforth.