Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

18 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Absolutely, and I've said the same for years - some issues require a world response, and that obviously includes China. Climate change being at the top of the damn list.

I think every talking head who knows a lot or a little about the matter has their viewpoint on what kind of state China is, but personally I'd go for authoritarian as opposed to totalitarian - the latter term just tends to be a derogation used by those who can't see past surface appearances to what is being discussed here.

Most of what people believe about china over here is complete nonsense and massively influenced by racism.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TJQuik said:

Most of what people believe about china over here is complete nonsense and massively influenced by racism.

I wouldn't necessarily go for that viewpoint first up because then folks might counter with "oh, the racism card, same old same old, blablabla...", so I'd rather pick another area to highlight.

However, I do reckon for quite a few people you're absolutely spot on here and it's simply Yellow Peril xenophobia driving their view on China and the Chinese.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TJQuik said:

Do you mean trivial nonsense regarding Chinese culture? Or their domestic and international politics? 

2 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

Seems suspect to me…too convenient

My view too albeit based on nothing more than my gut.  Seems extremely crude and ineffective given what I suspect is an extremely well protected building.

Would Russia really want to spin the narrative that an enemy drone was able to reach the Kremlin? Why would they want to humiliate themselves in that way? The embarrassment would surely outweigh any potential gains they'd have from concocting a story like that...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Would Russia really want to spin the narrative that an enemy drone was able to reach the Kremlin? Why would they want to humiliate themselves in that way? The embarrassment would surely outweigh any potential gains they'd have from concocting a story like that...

I think that would depend on how seriously they would want to take any retaliation for such a thing.

Having said that, however, pretty much every possible escalation where they take the gloves off further from here doesn't get them what they want anyway.

• Like 1

Three most likely explanations to me:

1. Ukraine or internal Ukraine-allied actors within Russian did it, in order to serve as a warning to both Putin and Russia. This feels unlikely given how close the drones got but can’t be discounted.

2. This was a false flag from Russia to either drum up continued internal support or justify (eg) a revenge assassination attempt on Zelenskyy.

3. This was someone within the Russian system not allied to Ukraine but wanting to provoke internal chaos.

…Of which #2 seems the most likely.

• Like 1

You can legit buy these types of drones anywhere, attach a bit of gunpowder and bobs yer uncle. No way was this a false flag. I’m going for the ‘Russian partisan’ or Ukranians not affiliated with the government/secret service. 

22 minutes ago, casablancas said:

False flag or Russian group unhappy with things. Ukraine gains zero from this logically other than stirring up the nationalists and so on. 

Ukrainian government don’t, but there’s plenty of people in Ukraine who could do this. But I still think it’s partisans in Russia. 

Also if Russia wanted to undertake a false flag to justify escalation, China wouldn’t have just sent a peace envoy to Kyiv. Putin is looking a for a way out not escalation. He’s completely stuck because he’s an idiot. 

It is a false flag operation likely for these reasons:

-How would they know it was to solely target Putin?

-It’s such a pathetic attempt that no one with serious intentions would attempt, thus meaning little damage was done when it as planned, failed.

-Russia will know, as will the West, where it has come from. They would not advertise this, if it was an internal attack. -Putins first years in presidency saw false flag operations

- Rhetoric has now been amplified by Kremlin cronies against physical harm of Zelensky.

37 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

A bit heavy on middle-eastern geopolitics but still an interesting watch. Love this channel 

Meh not as good as Adam Curtis on the Middle East. 

It did all just get a bit more complex with the Saudi-Iran reparation of diplomatic relationship. God knows how they managed to get that sorted.