Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

Just read a Washington Post piece that the US are warming to the idea of China mediating a peace agreement between Ukraine and Russia. A few more months of fighting to set conditions but expect some diplomacy movement before the end of the year I think. 

• Like 1

The Russians blaming the US indirectly rather than Ukraine directly for the drone incident then.

I guess that shows they don't want to escalate things directly, which makes sense because they can't in a way that would get them what they want anyhow.

Also Zelensky speaking his piece at The Hague.

Yeah the “ drone attack”was most likely a Russian dissident group   Based within Russia. Possibly Ukranian patriots living in Russia too. I’m sure it was done WITHOUT the knowledge of Zelensky. The Russians are saying that Putin wasn’t there at the time… with the full weight of the American surveillance capabilities behind them, it’s very possible that they know exactly where Putin is 100% of the time. So there’s at least target the right building. But they’d also use the correct/ more powerful bombs…

The Russians truly underestimate their global ‘liking’ to think Zelensky is the only one who’d be interested in doing this..

1 hour ago, Guesty said:

Prigozhin says he's now pulling out of Bahkmut in 5 days. Even if he doesn't, it's pretty embarrassing for Russian leadership.

It takes some going to appear particularly deranged in the company he keeps, but he's somehow managed it.

Yevgeny Prigozhin: Wagner Group boss says he will pull troops out of Bakhmut https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65493008

That’s massive if true. And it justifies the Ukrainians continued involvement.

Also, I’ve wondered why the Ukrainians have delayed their spring offensive for so long and thought it must be psychological warfare . And it’s clearly rattled the Russians and specifically  the Wagner group.

im Absolutely buzzing  about this!!

I don’t see what coming to the table there is. The Ukrainians want their land back. To go back to pre-2014  borders will be utter humiliation and defeat for Russia and Putin and they won’t do that.

5 minutes ago, MPH said:

I don’t see what coming to the table there is. The Ukrainians want their land back. To go back to pre-2014  borders will be utter humiliation and defeat for Russia and Putin and they won’t do that.

A square deal for status quo antebellum 2022, perhaps?

It would satisfy neither side, but that's what all such negotiations end up doing, unless one side has been completely beaten - which I can't see happening here.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

A square deal for status quo antebellum 2022, perhaps?

It would satisfy neither side, but that's what all such negotiations end up doing, unless one side has been completely beaten - which I can't see happening here.

Now there’s a collaboration I’d be curious to see.

• Haha 4

It's a non story. He does shit like this all the time. 

Last time he did it, shocker, they got resupplied. 

It's also getting his excuses in early for when the counter offensive starts in a few days and he's forced to retreat having made a big show about how big badass Wagner was going to win the battle there that the Russian military couldn't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

I’ve wondered for some time whether the Russians are all just basically waiting in limbo right now for Putin to die of whatever condition he might have.

Not really, you have hardliners who see Putin as weak, and believe he's only made a half-arsed foray into Ukraine. If he dies, they take power. Then all bets are off. 

In my opinion, Putin is searching for a way out of this war but because of his own stupidity, can't find one. He's relying on the Chinese to find him a strategic off ramp where he doesn't lose what he has now. The US head of intelligence said yesterday that Putin knows he can't win this war and at this point, it's all about keeping the 4 regions he's annexed and Crimea. 

Edited by Lionator

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It's a non story. He does shit like this all the time. 

Last time he did it, shocker, they got resupplied. 

It's also getting his excuses in early for when the counter offensive starts in a few days and he's forced to retreat having made a big show about how big badass Wagner was going to win the battle there that the Russian military couldn't. 

This definitely has something to do with it.   Also Wagner reputation is taking a bit of a dent as they outnumber the Ukrainians but can’t take a simple City.

Also few stories going round  about an increase in demand in Mali for Wagner group mercenaries..

who doesn’t like to be on the winning side!

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

Not really, you have hardliners who see Putin as weak, and believe he's only made a half-arsed foray into Ukraine. If he dies, they take power. Then all bets are off. 

In my opinion, Putin is searching for a way out of this war but because of his own stupidity, can't find one. He's relying on the Chinese to find him a strategic off ramp where he doesn't lose what he has now. The US head of intelligence said yesterday that Putin knows he can't win this war and at this point, it's all about keeping the 4 regions he's annexed and Crimea. 

I think the first sentence is worrying and very likely.

At least the West know Putin and how he thinks and what his military commanders are likely to do as long as he is in power.

I worry that, if he succumbs to whatever is ailing him, the void will be filled by more extreme leaders, (yes, they're out there already, in waiting)

8 hours ago, MPH said:

Well if there is one thing that’s come from this war it’s that the Ukrainians are a very stubbornly proud nation. They will not cede any land to the Russians.

Then they will have to remove the Russians from all of their land the hard way, most likely.

Here's hoping they have the capability.

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Then they will have to remove the Russians from all of their land the hard way, most likely.

Here's hoping they have the capability.

personally I see Russia fortifying Crimea and the Donetsk area. As those are the two areas they seemed the most determined about..

9 minutes ago, MPH said:

personally I see Russia fortifying Crimea and the Donetsk area. As those are the two areas they seemed the most determined about..

I would agree. Which means the whole thing may well be stalemated for rather some time, unless some kind of agreement is reached (not likely right now, it would appear).