Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

On 05/05/2023 at 14:14, MPH said:

Yevgeny Prigozhin: Wagner Group boss says he will pull troops out of Bakhmut https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65493008

That’s massive if true. And it justifies the Ukrainians continued involvement.

Also, I’ve wondered why the Ukrainians have delayed their spring offensive for so long and thought it must be psychological warfare . And it’s clearly rattled the Russians and specifically  the Wagner group.

im Absolutely buzzing  about this!!

Apparently Wagner troops are being removed from many front line positions and sent to Bakhmut  ..  they will go all out to get complete control before their big day next week. 

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

War crimes continue if true, indiscriminate weapon and a cowardly way to try and break the souls of the locals

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65506993

I don’t think there are many local residents still there ..  I would imagine the Russians are targeting Ukrainian special forces who at the sharp end of the battle for Bakhmut. 

1 minute ago, marbles said:

Yep ..  they’ll have to build a ‘Really really faster than the last one ultra hypersonic missile’ that gets there before it even takes off .. :)

• Haha 2

Explains better than I can. Long story short, the engines that give them the speed don't work at low altitude so they just get shot down conventionally like other missiles. Why hypersonic give vehicles are more threatening than missiles as they keep their velocity for longer. 

52 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It’s weird how we could just wake up one morning to nuclear war over this. 

I think if goodness forbid that were the path taken, it wouldn't happen overnight - escalation would take at least a certain amount of time.

Not that that would mean much to those who would be left afterwards, mind you.

On 05/05/2023 at 23:06, Finnegan said:

It's a non story. He does shit like this all the time. 

Last time he did it, shocker, they got resupplied. 

It's also getting his excuses in early for when the counter offensive starts in a few days and he's forced to retreat having made a big show about how big badass Wagner was going to win the battle there that the Russian military couldn't. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65516633

'Russia's Wagner Group boss says Moscow has agreed to his demands for more ammunition, days after he threatened to withdraw his men from Bakhmut."

Ten points, Finn.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I think if goodness forbid that were the path taken, it wouldn't happen overnight - escalation would take at least a certain amount of time.

Not that that would mean much to those who would be left afterwards, mind you.

It would - but would we be aware of it, or would it seem like it happened over night?

Look at the Cuban Missile Crisis.

The world knew we were on the brink of an exchange with the Soviets - but didn’t know we’d actually crossed the proverbial line, and that only cooler heads prevailed.

7 hours ago, marbles said:

It would - but would we be aware of it, or would it seem like it happened over night?

Look at the Cuban Missile Crisis.

The world knew we were on the brink of an exchange with the Soviets - but didn’t know we’d actually crossed the proverbial line, and that only cooler heads prevailed.

That's a fair point, but then the public did know enough (look at the headlines from that time) to know the sky might be falling over the last few of those thirteen days, just probably not how close it came to actually doing so.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Here's hoping nothing unbelievably stupid (outside of the existing ongoing Russian stupidity) happens during tomorrow's Victory Parade day. 

Or maybe a counteroffensive ..  

9 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Does turning up with only one tank count?

Not sure the guy from the Soviet WW2 Museum even knows he's now got to drive that T-34 to Melitopol.

Based on Trump’s comments, this needs to be wrapped up with a settlement in a year. The Democrats cannot risk going into an election with this rumbling on with Trump standing on an end the conflict and give Putin what he wants platform. 

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

Based on Trump’s comments, this needs to be wrapped up with a settlement in a year. The Democrats cannot risk going into an election with this rumbling on with Trump standing on an end the conflict and give Putin what he wants platform. 

I don't think that stance gets him enough votes to be electable, but who knows?

Sounds like we’re the first country to send long range missiles that bring deep Crimea and the Black Sea fleet into range. 

Storm Shadow missiles with a range of over 300km. 

I for one am really glad, we will get threatened with a nuke being dropped on London but we get that at least once a month anyway. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Sounds like we’re the first country to send long range missiles that bring deep Crimea and the Black Sea fleet into range. 

Storm Shadow missiles with a range of over 300km. 

I for one am really glad, we will get threatened with a nuke being dropped on London but we get that at least once a month anyway. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/11/politics/uk-storm-shadow-cruise-missiles-ukraine/index.html

Yeah was just reading that myself.  So important for them as the Russian's are very aware of the current range of Ukrainian armaments and just plonk their own counter-batteries and stores beyond that.  Just knowing that they have the capability to go beyond their current range will be incredibly beneficial to stretching their lines.  Not a coincindence this information has "become public".  The increasing capability must also be further demoralising as it gets harder and harder for Russia.  Seems an almost certainty that F-16s are being provided in the not to distant future as well.

Going to be some twitchy soliders in Crimea as these things are extremely capable.

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I don't think that stance gets him enough votes to be electable, but who knows?

It depends how well he gets across his "if you don't vote for me there will be a nuclear war and you'll all die" message, which the Russians will also support him with. 

1 hour ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Storm Shadow missiles with a range of over 300km

That's 300km from it's aircraft launchpad and Polish technicians have modified su 24 bombers to carry them. Hope they don't start striking Moscow or that really will be nuclear retaliation.

46 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It depends how well he gets across his "if you don't vote for me there will be a nuclear war and you'll all die" message, which the Russians will also support him with. 

I think the potency of that message with the American public could vary wildly given what the strategic situation is at that time, tbh.

Anyhow, on the general topic, I'm glad the Ukrainians are getting better tools to push the Russians back, but they might want to be a little careful how they use them, because they can't liberate their homeland if there's no homeland to liberate. What's happening now pushes the chances of success up, but with that increased chance comes a matching increased chance of things going in a horrible direction too.