Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

If a peace deal could involve Chinese security guarantees then alongside NATO guarantees, that would pretty much make Ukraine untouchable imo. 

The Chinese position on all of this has been very enigmatic. Playing all sides.

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The Chinese position on all of this has been very enigmatic. Playing all sides.

Someone is going to have to mediate so I think it makes sense, especially given the power they have over Russia, it’s good business for China. They’re riding the crest of a wave of repairing diplomatic relations between KSA and Iran too, which the Americans failed to do for decades. 

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

Someone is going to have to mediate so I think it makes sense, especially given the power they have over Russia, it’s good business for China. They’re riding the crest of a wave of repairing diplomatic relations between KSA and Iran too, which the Americans failed to do for decades. 

Yes, I would agree. They're certainly positioning themselves as a diplomatic soft power, and quite frankly I'd rather have them offering that than being a hostile isolationist player on the world stage, with the amount of soft power they can draw on already.

1 hour ago, MPH said:

China wants the contract to rebuild Ukraine.

Absolutely.

How very "Communist" of them.

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yes, I would agree. They're certainly positioning themselves as a diplomatic soft power, and quite frankly I'd rather have them offering that than being a hostile isolationist player on the world stage, with the amount of soft power they can draw on already.

Absolutely.

How very "Communist" of them.

Communism is a myth in China, it’s simply used as a way of keeping stuff in order. 

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Communism is a myth in China, it’s simply used as a way of keeping stuff in order. 

Oh, absolutely.

Doesn't stop some folks in Western nations driven by nationalism, ignorance and/or xenophobia from going on about the Chinese "Commies" ad infinitum though. Saw a lot of that recently, particularly around Covid.

5 minutes ago, Lionator said:

They’ve definitely embacred a ( almost) free market economy. 

Big attack between Velyka Novosilka and Vuhledar. Typically both sides, and the mil-bloggers, claiming success. Wait and see... 

Mariupol the target? 

Edited by Zear0

1 hour ago, Zear0 said:

Big attack between Velyka Novosilka and Vuhledar. Typically both sides, and the mil-bloggers, claiming success. Wait and see... 

Mariupol the target? 

Entirely possible. If I’m Ukraine, my aim for the counteroffensive is to break Russia’s “land bridge” to Crimea, with the aim of reclaiming all of the Zhaporizhia and Kherson regions.

45 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Going by the Twitter accounts that I follow it really feels like the counter offensive is starting/has started. 

Smoke screen. I feel like they are doing some ‘fake attacks’ in the east to draw Russian  resources over to there. It makes no sense to attack the area that borders Russia directly as that’s the area easiest for them to defend.  Then they’ll     ‘divide  and conquer’ and split the Russians down somewhere around Mariupol  which will make the greater Kherson region easier to take and then down into  Crimea, I THINK. 

it will be interesting to see how it pans out

Edited by MPH

I’m predicting a serious breakdown in relations between Russia and Wagner PMC soon. This is a Russian commander they are doing this to.. I don’t know how even Putin will tolerate this…

On 04/06/2023 at 13:37, leicsmac said:

Oh, absolutely.

Doesn't stop some folks in Western nations driven by nationalism, ignorance and/or xenophobia from going on about the Chinese "Commies" ad infinitum though. Saw a lot of that recently, particularly around Covid.

Imagine what could be achieved if the best minds in China, the US and Europe worked together on things. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lionator said:

Imagine what could be achieved if the best minds in China, the US and Europe worked together on things. 

Most certainly.

I mean, there are some matters where they do already, but there needs to be much more.

Let’s save the Russian speaking people. Let’s save everyone. Let’s blow up a damn and then kill off an entire zoo. Obviously Russian speaking animals. I am starting to really really really hate Russia and it’s people. I know I shouldn’t generalise but a huge proportion of the populace appear to support the SMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casablancas said:

Let’s save the Russian speaking people. Let’s save everyone. Let’s blow up a damn and then kill off an entire zoo. Obviously Russian speaking animals. I am starting to really really really hate Russia and it’s people. I know I shouldn’t generalise but a huge proportion of the populace appear to support the SMO. 

They do, but they are ill informed by their media, and frankly the west / capitalism has given them little.

• Like 1

I try to avoid blaming the little people for this. It would be the equivalent of Iraqis hating you or me for what happened 20 years ago.

The fact is that we can't begin to imagine the grip that Putin has on the media and the narrative. There'll be people in Russia who genuinely believe Ukraine has attacked them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

I try to avoid blaming the little people for this. It would be the equivalent of Iraqis hating you or me for what happened 20 years ago.

The fact is that we can't begin to imagine the grip that Putin has on the media and the narrative. There'll be people in Russia who genuinely believe Ukraine has attacked them. 

This is a good way of explaining it. I always come back to this film whenever I find myself being emotionally dragged by events.