Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Ukraine

21 minutes ago, blabyboy said:

McDonalds have not left, neither has KFC, Burger King etc... which fast food joints were you referring to?

And in perhaps the biggest irony, Coca-Cola are firmly still in there as well..

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/08/pressure-grows-on-mcdonalds-and-coca-cola-to-suspend-russia-operations

My bad they've not then dunno where I thought I read that but the rest of my point stands. What was he thinking would happen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

My bad they've not then dunno where I thought I read that but the rest of my point stands. What was he thinking would happen. 

I'm not sure we'll ever find out tbh.

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

They will pull out ..  or it will ultimately cost them ..  the world is becoming galvanised by what is happening. 

And indeed they are - or at least announcing the suspension of operations and the closure of their restaurants for now. Like I said, it's the share price that does the talking. 

I think it’s slightly different for McDonalds than some of the other big companies being discussed as a proportion of their restaurants are franchises which they can’t shut without not filling the obligations to the franchisees however they do own a proportion of the restaurants out there which they could close I understand.

9 minutes ago, Nick said:

I think it’s slightly different for McDonalds than some of the other big companies being discussed as a proportion of their restaurants are franchises which they can’t shut without not filling the obligations to the franchisees however they do own a proportion of the restaurants out there which they could close I understand.

Pretty much what is said in the article I referenced. It is complicated! But money talks and bull5h1t walks so as @Line-X points out, via the share price, the market will ultimately decide if they pull out altogether.

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

So as I understand it with my limited knowledge, Russia is now absolutely up the creek? Everyone from visa to PayPal to fast food joints, international sports across the board, basically any company outside of Russia is boycotting them and the currency is absolutely decimated? Surely this was always going to happen? How did he ever think this was a good idea, what was he trying to achieve? Doesn't make sense to me. 

We can only hope that now the Russians themselves really will turn on Putin. Which I guess is the plan of the Western nations 🤷‍♂️
The normal Russian ‘man on the street’ must be getting very worried about the currency and the impact on their standard of living, despite all the propaganda to the contrary?

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

We can only hope that now the Russians themselves really will turn on Putin. Which I guess is the plan of the Western nations 🤷‍♂️
The normal Russian ‘man on the street’ must be getting very worried about the currency and the impact on their standard of living, despite all the propaganda to the contrary?

Don’t hold your breath Col ..  they just have interviewed a few Ruskies in the street ..  oh yes we are 100% behind Mr Putin ! ..  and they weren’t oldies either ..

Why don’t they freeze then confiscate all the money of every oligarch in the UK (including Putins blue eyed boy Abramovitch) ..  and use it to subsidise fuel costs. If they moan about it just tell them to do one and fook off back to Russia. 

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Some domestic pressure is necessary, definitely. But if someone like Putin starts to feel pressured regarding his own fate, this war will simply escalate. (Apparently he was particularly worried by what happened to Gaddafi) I hope we have plans for allowing the return of services in return for certain actions. 
The propaganda and censorship of Russia also means those applying sanctions are getting blamed as is there was no provocation. We can’t afford to alienate a whole country against us. Future leaders in Russia are among these people.

12 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Don’t hold your breath Col ..  they just have interviewed a few Ruskies in the street ..  oh yes we are 100% behind Mr Putin ! ..  and they weren’t oldies either ..

Don't you think they'd be wondering who's watching?

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 1

The worst is yet to come for the Ukrainians  ..  we must give them a few migs via Poland asap so that they can attack that huge convoy of death before it gets moving. They will move soon when Mad Vlad gets his fuel lines set up. He’ll spout of again  .  but so what. Push a button ..  I don’t think so. He’s getting cornered now and we need to turn the screw. 

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

The worst is yet to come for the Ukrainians  ..  we must give them a few migs via Poland asap so that they can attack that huge convoy of death before it gets moving. They will move soon when Mad Vlad gets his fuel lines set up. He’ll spout of again  .  but so what. Push a button ..  I don’t think so. He’s getting cornered now and we need to turn the screw. 

I watched, with interest that Oxford Union interview with Sir John Sawers (ex MI6 Head). He related a story told by Putin about a time when he was a boy and was chasing rats in his building. Eventually Putin relates, he had one cornered and rather than giving in, it jumped at his neck and escaped. Putin's moral to the story was, don't corner a rat. Sawyers' take was that Putin shouldn't be cornered either and needs to be given a face saving exit.

Edited by Smudge